The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems it is our turn for dry weather. I hope someone else is getting what they need. El Nino may get us hard if things keep up. Had a great chance for rain today and I sprayed right through it trying to finish up a load. Didn't even knock all the dust down. Figured I may have to respray. Now I doubt it. May go mix up another load.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Who ever is doing the rain dance, please move yourself to a more appropriate area of the continent. Here we are still trying to seed around standing water!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Eastern Washington dry.......really dry. Crops don't look like they are going to make it. A lot if guys already calling it quits here. I think we are at 6" precip since last Oct. And to think I used to complain about our 10" average.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I'm close to jagfarms and we are in the same boat -on dry land!

We've had a really good run so this is a wake up call to the reality of what farming in the brown soil zone can be. It has been a long time since John Palliser's words about our area 'never being occupied by settlers' have rung true! Some farms out there with big purchases and bigger payments. In our area it doesn't matter what kind of wonder dusts or foofoo juices you throw on a crop if the rain clouds stay away.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm in souther Ont. I told my daughter to do a Unrain dance it just will not stop over 7" for May now the first of June heavy thunder storms predicted for tonight .We worked Three days in May and the long range has plenty of rain for the next two weeks (Becarefull what we wish for)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I can't complain about the rain.. We always need it, but I'm still not done seeding. 600 acres left, and I really didn't want to seed past may 31..

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We had 2" last night, came fairly hard, I'm sure it washed some. We've had good spring moisture & most are done seeding or getting close. Last night's rain should have made the dryland hay crop.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I can't complain about the rain.. We always need it, but I'm still not done seeding. 600 acres left, and I really didn't want to seed past may 31..
Don't turn the page on the calendar and you will be good to go!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Need a rain soon as well, we missed a wreck last year by days and not much better this year, crops look very very nice so far but late seeded canola still waiting for moisture to germinate

Good news is we been here many times in the past and one good rain can take us to the end of June... This is the start of our monsoon season, so let it begin

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hay crops toast, might be able to get half a bale per acre if your lucky. Lot of Canola not even out of the ground, need a rain in the next two weeks or some guys will be spraying out there crops to preserve fert.

/shrug cant really ***** had 4 monster good years in a row, figured we were due for an average/poor one

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hay crops toast, might be able to get half a bale per acre if your lucky. Lot of Canola not even out of the ground, need a rain in the next two weeks or some guys will be spraying out there crops to preserve fert.

/shrug cant really ***** had 4 monster good years in a row, figured we were due for an average/poor one
Exact same here. Lost the hay to drought. Winter wheat too. The spring wheat and canola are right behind them. Pretty soon it will be too late for everything. And to think the weather experts around here are predicting next year to be the dry one. I'll let y'all know when we have the auction.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Well if anyone is seen doing a rain dance around here they will be shot or at the very least run over. Just when it looks like you have a chance it rains again.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

If only there was an efficient way to pump my sloughs out, you could have it!! such a vast difference and not really that far away either...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
hehe send it this way, last couple days got a bit of rain, still missing that big June soaker but at lest its trying. Sadly very spotty showers

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Spotty is very true. <10 miles from me over 2" and here just enough to keep the dust down. We did get a decent shower last night, but it poured in town. We need an irrigation pipeline from over east out this way. Back in '01-'02 Lorne Calvert told us we were used to being dry and shouldn't complain. I don't agree with him being too wet or too dry isn't much fun. Agronomy is easy, risk management is where you separate the men from the boys. Hopefully I've reached puberty.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
you can have all our rains atleast until end of june we are still trying to mud it in and more rain coming in a few hours very wet here wont stop raining sw mb

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We were lucky this last week to grab a few important showers, on some land and others mostly nothing... Peas and cereals look good, patchy canola

In 2001 we had less than .7 of a inch all growing season and was written off by July 2nd, and made for a uneventful fall.. But since then we have been very fornuate and produced above averaged crops... So we are due for another ulfy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts