The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every other combine I ever owned has the grain pan higher then the sieves with fingers to aid heads etc to float.

Why does a Gleaner pan not do this?

I understand the accel rolls concept, but in crops like flax, those unthreshed bolls fall straight thru the first couple sieve finger openings. On the 72 and the 75, we put a bead of goo all along where the sieve joins the pan - another spot for stuff just to fall right down.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Are you referring to the cascade pan the accelerator rolls propel the grain onto? That pan starts at an incline above the the front end of the chaffer. Unless you've got the air blast choked off, the material is pretty live. Only the heaviest stuff really contacts the pan, the rest floats across the chaffer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Need to ad that I would expect that the unthreshed boles/ heads/pods might fall through the chaffer, but expect them not to pass through the sieve so they go to the returns and back through the cylinder to thresh.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What should be missing is the bolls in the tank. The bolls are the heavy stuff, which at a good setting for cleaning sieve, they just drop thru. I understand what you are saying, just wondering if it would make a difference.

Is there any high speed camera footage of exactly what is going on at the pan?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can't imagine how it could help. Its got to fall through the chaffer to get to the sieve. If you're getting unthreshed boles in the grain tank, I guess you need to close down the sieve some, or maybe come up with a perforated non adjustable sieve to clean up the sample. Raising the pan to some level above the cleaning shoe would at best delay the point on the chaffer where the grain falls through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What should be missing is the bolls in the tank. The bolls are the heavy stuff, which at a good setting for cleaning sieve, they just drop thru. I understand what you are saying, just wondering if it would make a difference.

Is there any high speed camera footage of exactly what is going on at the pan?
I think you need to know how does high speed camera works and where to use them, here have some tips for you, hope this will help you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
First of all I know nothing about flax. I don't see how modifying the cascade pan would have any effect. The issue as I understand it is unthreshed bolls. The cause of them even getting to the cleaning area is because they exited the threshing area via the holes in the concave. To me the solution would be to add more filler bars to the concave to allow the crop to be threshed more before it is allowed to escape. Otherwise tighter concave and speed can be adjusted to accomplish a better job

I don't know the sensitivity to cracking or damage to make an adequate sample. By the time it goes through the accelerator rolls it has left the threshing section. By that time if not completely threshed the only remedy is to close down the lower sieve to get the bolls to return to the threshing system again. The ideal solution is to get it setup to thoroughly thresh it the first time. Some crops take time to get dialed in but the Gleaner is very adaptable with time, understanding, and patience. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would agree with glennw that you’re not thrashing enough ether from too large concave opening, not enough material to the rotor. I get a very clean sample in flax with running the concave as tight as I can and speed at 900. Then for the shoe, chaffer about 1/2 inch open and sieve about a 1/4 inch or less. Fan at 4-5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts