The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly pro's and con's there, Gleaner. I do not believe there's any one right or wrong way to configure this. I saw the first 1600's with the rear-mounted screen, then back to side, a model or 1-2 years later, it was put back to the rear.

I honestly believe it's one engineer's preference, as it only seems as long as it is short.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
on our new machine each year we never touch the radiator..on the 3 year old 2388 that we run we might have to clean it out once..

so id like to say if at the end of the year you wash it out good and have it clean its trouble free

but im sure other conditions around the us might be worse than ours

just corn and soybeans here

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yes it is true. (though that may be a location and crop specific answer) I'm running case now and will be for a while even if we get a second machine of a different color. However, it is big conversation here in dry, dusty harvest conditions that the IH had the right idea, then case screwed it up with the putting the air intake right into the dustiest part of the combine. Now where is it? Right back where it should be, on the side with the radiator. The radiator itself is still inline with the engine, just the intake was put in the dusty rear of the machine.

They also went away from the paddle type cleaning fan in favor of the small diameter, close spaced crossflow. Now they have increased the diameter back to the larger size and removed half the fins. Next they will be right back to the paddle type, and will offer a kit for the others to be converted to the old paddle style.

mh2 is a hillside model. Are you in the pnw somewhere?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We've never had too many problems with our machines. Occasionally the radiators need to be blown out, but it's never a big deal. Our 2388 stays really clean (it's a '99, so it has the screen at the rear). On the old 14-1680 we sealed up the radiator door with silicone caulk and that helps keep a lot of the fine stuff out.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
One of the radiator issues that late model CNH machines have had is due to the new fine mesh screen, specifically when harvesting corn with a chopping corn head. The chopper seems to create a mist of sap from the corn stalk which sticks to the radiator, eventually filling up the holes. I believe the solution here is to use a screen with larger holes that won't fill.

We run a pair of 88s and blow their radiators out every 100-150 hours, but they rarely need it. Needing to clean the air filter is more common.

-Lance

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have worked for three different farmers in my lifetime, the first running only John Deere's, the second only Gleaner, and the one I'm with currently is IH, running a 1480. My question is I have heard many people always putting the CaseIH's down for having the radiator in the rear of the combine, particularly on the 16xx, 21xx and some 23xx's, and saying that it has to be constantly blown out. Is this true, or is it just the personal opinions of the other colors? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you all for the answers. I forgot to mention most of the crops out here are wheat/barely, with occasional peas and lentils. Yes Doorknob I am located in Eastern Washington. The reason I asked was that I hear the conversation brought up every now and then that those with the screens in the rear had to be blown out daily with all the dust back there. That just seemed crazy to me because I know most others only need blown out at most a couple times during harvest.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ok, I'm just south of portland in the grass seed country. We have to blow the radiator daily. If I try 2 days, by the end of the second day, the temp will be on the rise and the radiator will be plugged solid. I'll get some pics this year. I did'nt think to take any of the service routine last year.

We're going to open a few fields tomorrow morning with the swathers, so combining should be under way in a few days after that. Pics should follow.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
holy crap that sounds terrible

how often do you do your air filters?

we do that once a year at best.

i know deere guys do it every other day almost....that would suck.

Also i wish there was easier way to take the cab air fliter out without just cakeing you in junk....

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Engine air gets blown every morning, replaced every year outer, and every other year inner. Cab filter gets blown every other day, but "tapped" against the tire every day.
By far the worst stuff locally to harvest is crimson clover. It is underway right now and that stuff sticks to the exhaust manifold like glue.
Here's a pic of looking out the windshield combining red clover seed with a slight tail wind.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
So I imagine you run auto steer, auto header height control, and just sit back and watch a DVD movie? Wow, that is dusty.

-Lance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great photos there Doorknob. A Premier opening up a
magnificent fescue crop fits like a pea in a pod.
Anyone that has windrowed grass all night in different windrowers sure appreciates these red ones.A friend in sth Willamette valley told me befor I bought my first 2930 "...they just keep cuttin".
Re your crimson- Last year thrashed some Arrowleaf clover for the first time on a dead calm day. Had the same window- can't see problem along with cleaning out all air filters every two hours.
For the following week it blew a gail . Should have waited a day.
We run NH tr's and also have the engine dustup. Sure good to have the noise back there as well unlike the masseys and jd's8820.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Great photos there Doorknob. A Premier opening up a
magnificent fescue crop fits like a pea in a pod.
Anyone that has windrowed grass all night in different windrowers sure appreciates these red ones.A friend in sth Willamette valley told me befor I bought my first 2930 "...they just keep cuttin".
Re your crimson- Last year thrashed some Arrowleaf clover for the first time on a dead calm day. Had the same window- can't see problem along with cleaning out all air filters every two hours.
For the following week it blew a gail . Should have waited a day.
We run NH tr's and also have the engine dustup. Sure good to have the noise back there as well unlike the masseys and jd's8820.

G'day ryegrass. I could'nt have said it better myself. Those premier/mac don's are nice machines.
I forgot about the arrowleaf clover. A few acres grown locally, and you're right, gotta keep an eye on the filters and radiator a lot.

I just went on a short TR tour in central oregon this year. What an awesome seed machine. I was amazed how well they are sealed up and how many details were taken into consideration. We're still shopping for a second machine. I've looked at a few TRs but cant seem to find just that right one for the money on a second machine. So I ventured into the gleaner market as well. Wow, now there's a machine i'd like to seal up a bit and make into a seed combine. Prices are closer to what I need them to be for a cream puff machine. Dunno, if a TR comes around, that'd be my choice, but.....

Is the weather co-operating for you this time of year? How cold does it get there now?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The weather is feezing this week(10am now and still 4deg.C) with only a couple inches rain here in the grass seed area the last 2 weeks or so, bit of a dry winter that has some anxious/ concerned cropping blokes right across Australia.Still early days for us at least down here. All crops are out of the ground after a fairly long dry autumn. Up north in Qld they are due to start on the grains late next mth or september i've been told .Some places had good rains while others not good at all. How's the harvest going up there?
Our ryegrasses have just gone 3 leaf and some atrazine is getting splashes about.
Doing some mod's to the tr's to slow some of that horse feed down in the tank- Making some filler plates for the rear beater concave , and one on top of the chaffer where the seed drops off the prep floor.Do the cnh's have a cascade chaffer?
Sorry , a little off the thread. All the tr talk might make the red guys more red!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Hi there sb. If you would, maybe start a new thread with a new title so more people can see it and reply. Something like "What does everyone grow and how?" Or something to that nature. That way you'll get some good exposure to your quest.

When I get the next chance, I'd reply to it. I'm starting swathing tall fescue right now and we' just started blueberry harvest today, so I'm a little tired right now.
Catch up to ya later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
doorknob and ryegrass, interesting reads and pictures on seed harvest. I'm trying to make a go of it here in Mississippi, primiarily wheat, oats, and millet. I'm interested in learning more about what ya'll grow and how.

·
Registered
17 Posts
10-4, doorknob. I made a new thread on the subject....http://combineforums.proboards42.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Case&thread=7225

1 - 19 of 19 Posts