The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was combining some thick beans, just trying to finish up a field after dark, (bean were getting a little tough)

anyway, one of the slip clutches started slipping and making quite a noise, I think its the clutch the runs the rattle chain. The cylinder and front beater is all clear.

I wanted to know where the rattle chain cover is located; is it under the combine above the front axel, I see what appears to be a black cover with two handles and there are two screws one on each end in past where the cover ends. Am I correct, if so how may screws hold this cover in place or any the advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Should be a bolt on each end and two on the bottom side. The ones on the bottom have a habit of twisting off. If that happens, just drill a hole beside it and put a self tapping bolt back in beside it when reinstalling cover. Slip clutch is on the outside of machine at the back of the raddle chain on side that drive chain is on. Take inspection doors on side of machine off and look inside of machine to see what problem is. Chain may just need adjusting. If you have never had front cover off on chain, will be packed with crud. Be sure to check front idlers on chain for bad bearings. Idler bearings will last a lot longer if you remove this cover each year after harvest and clean this area. Leave cover off until you are ready to use the next season.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F2 thanks

Thank-you!! I got it all figure out; I took the cover off and soy stalks were all jammed up inside the sweep bars. Everything appears to be working fine.

The only problem I still have is that the machine starves itself for fuel about 1/2 hour to an hour after running. I though I had this figure out when I did wheat this summer but I guess not. When I open the bleeder on top of the fuel filter it's empty. If I fill it up the machine takes awhile to start but eventually does and runs fine again for 45-60 minutes.

I changed the priming hand pump gaskets this summer which is beside the fuel filter but this hasn't fixed the problem. Could it be my injector pump or what about the fuel line (its that clear plastic) just wondering if it is collapsing on itself when the engine gets hot and this allows for less fuel maybe, this is crazy idea.

Any and all thoughts will be welcomed. Could the injectors run for a 30 minutes until fuel filter get too empty. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just don't get it, there is air getting into the fuel line, you can see an air pocket between the sediment bowl and the fuel filter, closer to the sediment bowl. There are no leaks just a large air bubble. How could this be coming from the tank?

·
Registered
628 Posts
BudRBall, I had a similar problem with "clear' fuel line one time. The line was brand new and replaced an old stiff and brittle one. Replaced the fresh replaced line with another new one and no more problem. The new 'clear' line showed no signs of leakage/ external residue. Out of curiosity I submerged the line in soapy water and applied a little air pressure. Sure enough it bubbled. Close look even with magnify glass revealed no hole in the 'bubbling' area but air pressure proved there was a hole/leak even tho I couldn't see it. Apparently a factory defect in clear line. I try to keep a couple sizes of line on hand and both lines came off the same reel coil. Aggravating to say the least!
May not be your problem but something to think about. The original line I replaced had no problems but it was old and stiff so got replaced with new.
Good luck, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
315 Posts
My F2 had tank rust after setting w/biodiesel.Fine rust would plug screen in sediment bowl after 20 min run time.Plumbed primary filter from Detroit Diesel(base available at truck shops) after sediment bowl then going to engine filter.Removed bowl screen.No more problems.Changed filter after 50hrs trouble free.Kept sediment bowl for a shut-off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.