The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with one of my height sensors not working on my Case Ih 4430. It will show a height but it appears to be off and it won't engage. I can get the other side to work and I've concluded it's not the sensor as I've swapped the sensors around and they work on the other side. Eventually I found that I had a couple wires partly broken by a boom joint. Now i soldered them but it still doesn't work. I'm wondering if this would be an area that would be sensitive to extra resistance and that would be why? If so how can I repair it without changing the resistance in the wiring or am I stuck with getting a whole new harness?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've replaced the end 3 ft section of harness before. Can't remember if they all have a short section before they attach to the main harness. The height would read ok but would jump around to extremes. Would really mess with the boom height.

·
Super Moderator
528 Posts
I think the two outer sensors are digital sensors, and the one under the center rack was an analog one. Not sure if there'd be more intereference tied into it as it is a digital signal as well?
I recall a few guys over the years have swapped those digital ones with analog onto the booms as well, but I don't think they had done it because of wiring issues or anything like that. (I wanna say the analog was more of a stable height sensor versus the digital, but I don't know enough about that tbh)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those replies. Mine is a five sensor unit and the middle sensor is different. I didn't know what the difference was so that is good info. Here is what my diag screen is showing. As far as cabling mine is a long one. Longer than the length of one boom.
20200908_101528.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so a quick update here. I've figured out that the cable is not the problem by swapping full cables with another sensor. I've also checked my battery box and made sure all connections were tight. And I've recalibrated which was hard. It would always fail and say that ultrasonic sensors were detected even though I'd selected ultra glide for the recalibration. Eventually it worked and I got my autoboom back for about 10 seconds before the same side shut off and said the proximity sensor failed. Still looking for ideas. Possibly a fuse? Does anyone know how the fuses are set up?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok just thought I better post the solution here. It seems like with those bare wires on the height control cable something shorted out. So afterward it was looking for a proximity sensor which I thought meant height sensor but actually its a sensor the 100 foot booms use to know if you are folded out and I have 120s. So I had to reset the defaults and I upgraded to the latest version of autoboom and autofold and recalibrated everything and it works. Took most of a day to figure out but would've taken alot longer if It hadn't been for Ashleigh my favorite GPS guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts