The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grain bins at coleville aren’t for sale the owner is buying them back, frustrating when your trying to build your bins up and was looking forward to the sale

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is frustrating. When it’s an auction it should go to the highest bidder but since auctions are online now if the owner wishes to bid and buy them back there shouldn’t be any way to tell. Just another way to protect against a bad auction. No different than placing a reserve on an item.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heard the owner the was buying all the bins back, he was just using the auction to set the price for a business buyout

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
He will get his pee-pee slapped. A buddy of mine bought back a drill online and they found out. IIRC, he had to leave it in the next sale to be sold and was told if he was caught doing buy backs again he would be barred from bidding at any RB auction. Something like that. It didn't go over well.

·
Premium Member
5,150 Posts
I don't want to mention any names, but there are numerous wheeler dealers especially in the industrial and truck market place that are flipping millions worth of units each RB yards sales and if you pay attention you will see the same units going back and forth from RB and their yards.
Many of them are the guys you see driving around pre inspecting while us peons are slogging it on foot....

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
I’ve been to farm auctions where the owner bid on a few of his own auction items.
Auctioneer announced owner bidding and would pay same commission as anybody else.
Sometimes they’d get the item, sometimes they wouldn’t.
Can‘t see a problem. Mind you this was all face on auctions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Happens, or at least used to happen in auction marts with cattle all the time!! I bought 30 cow/calf pairs one spring, just random pairs throughout the sale, just some I was going to have eat grass and send back in the late fall! Turns out when I went to pay for them, 24 of the pairs were owned by the market! I was bidding against the house!! The auctioneer was catching bids, his own that is, and if I stopped bidding, he would say sold to "Joe order buyer" !! He would just feed the ones he bought back, out back until the next week's sale!!! Never bought or sold another animal there, and let every neighbor and friend that had cattle know what happened! His crookedness ended up costing him some business over the years, but worse than that I would think is his and the auction markets reputation!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Seen that too at a few auctions. Partnership split up and one partner wanted to keep farming. Was easier to have a complete sale and the continuing partner buy what they wanted at the sale. Was announced at the start of the sale and right before the major items.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Why would he pay 15% commission plus online fees to set a price for bins ? That doesn’t even make sense. You have proof or just coffee shop talk
Definitely happened.
More than one sale. Was there. In one case knew the owner.

Online? What’s that?
Face on sales.
Up to the owner what he wanted to do and he’d know all this going in.
If it had enough value to him he‘d buy, if it didn’t he wouldn’t.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I tend to get peeved at most auctions, just last week I was bidding on a Bull, then they wanted me to place the next bid, I knew dam well I was the current bidder, F that. I did buy two others likely not as good for the same price, but it was the principle of it.

Don will likely remember Guards Implements Receivership sale, the last item was a very nice 4840 JD tractor, machinery was cheap at the time, I was the only bidder left, everyone else there I knew. I said screw you and walked away. A week later I saw that tractor on the Auction sites lot in SK.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The owner of the bins told the neighbour it was a family split and couldn’t agree on a price so they went that route and RB new about it. And he had neighbors buying stuff for him also because he could get to all of them

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seen that too at a few auctions. Partnership split up and one partner wanted to keep farming. Was easier to have a complete sale and the continuing partner buy what they wanted at the sale. Was announced at the start of the sale and right before the major items.
That’s a little bit different scenario, if it was announced and on the up and up there should be no problem, the one partner will have a bit of an advantage being they are buying minus their share of the final price, but they still have to buy it. When my uncle sold out my cousin bought most of the big equipment, he owned the big tractor (which wasn’t on the sale) my uncle owned the drill (which was) one owned the truck the other had the trailer, etc. So in that case my cousin was just another buyer.
bidding to run up your own stuff is just poor taste in my opinion, you put it in the sale let it ride.

In the case of these bins couldn’t one just search past results to get an idea of what they are bringing and go from there?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't want to mention any names, but there are numerous wheeler dealers especially in the industrial and truck market place that are flipping millions worth of units each RB yards sales and if you pay attention you will see the same units going back and forth from RB and their yards.
Many of them are the guys you see driving around pre inspecting while us peons are slogging it on foot....
Have to agree, I sold a rather unique boat for Alberta at Nisku, it sold 3 different times, 3 different dates after I sold it.
Makes ya wonder......

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The guy who owned the bins told my neighbour that it was a family split and they couldn’t agree on a price so it was going through auction and RB knew about what was going on, and he was buying them all back and had neighbours helping do some bidding because he couldn’t get to them all himself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts