The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 2006 9660 Engine Blown? Common???

Oct 6, 2008, 10:59pm, dude33love wrote:We have a 2006 JD 9660sts with 600 separator hours...(season 3). The piston rod came through the block.Any help, comments r appreciated

Well no help but a "If misery likes company" post.
A friend's C13 in a 590R also developed the instant enhanced crankcase ventilation system exactly as yours did.
Less than 500 hours.
My sympathy to both of you.

Don

·
Registered
243 Posts

sh!t happens.
I hate to say it, but it ain't common for any color these days. But it does happen.
I hope they get it up and running fast.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Actually for that time frame it was common on Deere. It was a big deal in our neighborhood about two years ago with Deeres blowing motors. I think two neighbors had that problem that year. Had a lot of guys threatening to switch brands if they had that problem. It was the talk of the coffee shop for a bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Connor- I thought it was the 04s or was it the 05s that had the motor problems when they switched to the 9.0 liter.

·
Registered
475 Posts

My bad, I thought it was the first year for the larger motor that had issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts

This spring we had a 30 series tractor,(same 9.0L engine) ventilate it's crankcase in the same manner. It had 6 hrs. on it when this happened. The tractor would still run (I drove it off of the truck, and into the shop) First cutaway engine I have ever seen run (ha,ha). Of course warranty paid for a new engine. Waterloo engine factory delivered the new one the next day!

·
Registered
342 Posts

Since we are telling stories about blown engines I will tell mine. We ordered a new 9770 STS for this year and this summer the dealer was doing the break in and running the sep when after they were done they noticed a burnt spot on the left side of the block. The dealer called the mothership and they said a new engine was on its way. Didn't have any problems with the new engine or combine this year during harvest.

F

·
0 Posts

we had a M-11 enhance its ventilation a few years back with approx 30 hrs. Heard that the Deere's had some problems with blown engines in a lot of equipment, not just combines, but tractors, and industrial equipment as well. Oh well, Stuff happens right?

·
Registered
235 Posts

This spring we had a 30 series tractor,(same 9.0L engine) ventilate it's crankcase in the same manner. It had 6 hrs. on it when this happened. The tractor would still run (I drove it off of the truck, and into the shop) First cutaway engine I have ever seen run (ha,ha). Of course warranty paid for a new engine. Waterloo engine factory delivered the new one the next day!​

Sounds like Danielskis tractor....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Probably was 04's and 05's blowing. I remember right before the harvest of 06 everybody was bitching about motors blowing on their Deere combines previously, and if it kept happening most people said they were leaving Deere behind. I know the season or two before 06 there were a lot of STS problems with blown motors and fires around the area. One neighbor went through 3 STS's, the first 2 caught fire and the third had motor problems, and another neighbor did blow the motor. And there was talk of others around blowing motors and having fires. I know going into the 06 harvest season a lot of salesmen from other color dealerships were pretty excited to see how the season would go for the Deeres. They had already had a lot of STS operators in talking to them about combines if they had anymore problems like that with the Deeres.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Today I heard of a brand new 9670 with a blown engine. It was so new that it had just gone to the field on the customer's farm to get it adjusted when the engine blew. No external "ventilation" but the mech.'s don't know what happened. They are awaiting instruction to proceed. New replacement on the way maybe?
Customer is more than likely using a "loaner combine" temporarily.

I've heard of other brand new machine malfunctions recently.
Are the co.'s pushing stuff out the door too fast in order to meet demand?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts