The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 2188 ?

smz, sounds like you did alright. One thing you may want to check is the engine fan hub. Pop the serpentine belt off and pull on the fan, if you feel any movement replace it. Chances are it has been done already with the hours it has. If it still has paint on it then it is safe to say it is original, I would change it. It is a pain to do but is alot cheaper than a radiator. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

I concur about the fan bearing issue. We had one fail last fall on us, and it wasn't pretty.

Wait, are you sure that fan bearing issue was a problem on the 2188s? I thought it was just the early 2388s, but they probably do use the same cooling system I guess.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

Hi, we have a 2188, with about 4000hrs on it.... THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!!!, find out if the fan bearing has been replaced, DO IT IF NOT DONE. we do ours every 1000, 1500 MAX, the twin to out machine spat the fan bearing at 900hrs, we wer lucky & ours lasted 1500, with no prob, WHILST YOUR THERE PUT A PIECE OF TIN IN BEHIND THE BEARING & SEAL IT WITH SILASTIC, KEEP THE DUST OUT, OUR BEARING WAS SPOTLESS WHEN REPLACED LAST TIME. remove the crap dust cover from alternator, clean every day, has your cab air filter been upgraded to cylinder type filter, like the 2388.

Now the big stuff... sieve drive. check play in the shaft on the drive side, check for cracks around the carier bearing (chassis of the header... both sides, i reinforced all around ours pre season) check play on the dog clutches inside the sieve slip clutch, weld the clutch plate to housing, we did, DO NOT WELD CLUTCH SOLID. check the top seive front section adjustment connection, if worn, make your own sieve adjustment, put a rod up the triagle piece of the sieve, right in the center, same as 2388.
have a good look at you unloading auger vertical tower part... where the turntable is riveted on. if cracked it may not last too long.

top bearing on clean grain elevator, ours had been bugger for quite a while when found it pre harvest, also bearing on bottom bubble auger, very good bearing but may be on way out if weathered alot.

the tailing elevator top bearing is well hidden & often stuffed when checked.

check sieve drive/hanger bushed regular for cracks.

on top of the PTO, you will find fuel pipes, there are som plastic clamps there, they will rub hole on the fuel line, remove & put some hose over it with a steel plate & new bolt, this upgrade could save you evrything.

put some extra clips on the seperator covers/doors.

CHECK ALL HYD HOSES FOR RUBBING, THEY RUB AGAINST EACH OTHER, REALLY A PROBLEM WHEN THE LOOM FILLS WITH DUST, ALMOST LIKE SAND PAPER THEN, BUGGER THE LOOM OFF, & GO NUTS TIEING THEM WHERE BEST SUITED. wish i noticed some rubbed hoses pre harvest.

feeder housing floor worn?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

you may want to consider upgrading the shaker rail to the cast web shaped as shown in phillphy's pictures (if not already done). On the unload auger remove the access panel by the elbow and inspect the rivets inside the elbow and vertical tube, when they wear off the auger can fall off. This would be more of an issue if a lot of dirt has been ran through it.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Our Cummins 1680 fan bearing went and caused vibration, this caused the gaskets on both sides of the timing case to go. We had to take the pushrods and camshaft out to fix this, what a job!!! phillphy if you don't mind me asking how much were the cast shaker rail supports? Might get some for the 1680 ours has the channel boxed in but it still flexes!
Paul

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

Hi, i cannot remember exactly, they are not cheap for the amount of steel you get, ours come with bearings & so on. don;t quote me on this, we installed them 3yrs ago, $800 AU

WRONG PHOTO CAME UP. I MUST DELETE OUT OF PHOTO BUCKET & TRY AGAIN

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

Hope the right one comes through this time

plates i welded inside the machine, to stop the plate from being brocken out of the header.

also the brocken vertical part of the unloading auger, right at the turn table. we bolted it whilst waiting for ne part, waited till rainy day to change it, it wasn;t pretty as the flighting was hitting on the inside.
the vertical auger flighting was replace, it was very thin. also refurbished the gear box up at the bottom.

the grain tank has now holes in the bottom, was losing quite a bit of grain when undloading, only noticed it when stopped to unload. jammed some 1.6mm in to cover it up.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Congrats on your purchase one thing that was not mentioned was your back axle. The place to check for cracks is in the tube where you can slide your axles in or out. I have had a 1688 and a 2388 that gave out on me over the years. It is not to big of a job if you find a crack and take it a part in the yard but if it breaks out in the field it is a mess.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

Hi
Yeh i forgot to mention the axle extensions... they snap like a carrot, we broke 1 of ours, & other people spoke about them breaking. the steering is a bit push & shove ith them in because they run right on the edge of the tracks from the front wheels.

The 2388 extreme are alot stronger in that department.

BTW our 2188 has 4791 eng Hrs, it had 900 when we purchased it.. back in 1998

other thing. the drive axle couplings need to be sure they are getting fresh grease, other wise you will chew the coupling & THE SHAFT away. we give them grease every day, but one side had dried up so it wasn't getting grease.... expensive job to replace the shaft into the brakes. I put an extra grease nipple in our coouplings so can always get grease gun to them.
previous own obviously didn't grease them, as this was the first thing we had to replace.

Have fun...
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts