The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 70 series combines

I would love to know more about the new corn heads, what exactly are they changing? What will the model numbers be?

jd

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

A 26" auger option, interesting stuff! Are the stalk rolls, deck plates and gathering chains changing in length? Besides the adjustments on the dividers, is anything mentioned about features/options for reducing trash build up? Does it mention if the angle of the head is getting flattened any?

jd

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts

9570 = 265hp/284 w/bulge/294 max unload on the go
9670 = 305hp/326 w/bulge/338 max unload on the go
9770 = 360hp/387 w/bulge/395 max unload on the go
9870 = 440hp/470 w/bulge/473 max unload on the go

If they put this sort of power in without radical and fundamental changes to the separating and cleaning systems Deere will be the worst combine on the market. Period.

I get the feeling this may affect my karma. This is going to be fun!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Quote:If they put this sort of power in without radical and fundamental changes to the separating and cleaning systems Deere will be the worst combine on the market. Period.

Well you can throw more HP at the rotor and still get stuff broken apart. Maybe a little more abuse on the crop mat, but it can be done. The problem will be with the sieves, since it will be very easy to overload them with too much crop coming in. The bad part about this is you don't know it from the cab when it is happening. When the engine was the weakest link in the system, it is obvious when you are at the limits of the machine.

I have a feeling that some operators will be bumping the speed up a little with the new HP, only to find out that their sieves are pushing grain right out the back.

·
Registered
114 Posts

The email from Deere made note that "Significant changes on the larger two combine models will increase total harvesting system performance, with major improvements to grain handling, cleaning systems, feederhouse drives and higher horsepower levels. New residue management enhancements will be seen on all new STS combines. The new corn head line delivers revolutionary changes to material handling, grain savings, serviceability and overall corn head capacity and throughput, providing a truly balanced harvesting solution."

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks to me like the 9670 didn't gain any hp, interesting......

Does the 9770 still run th 9 liter motor?

Looks to me like 440 hp with the 13.5 may be trouble in the 98..... time will tell.

Are there going to be any drastic changes to the 600 platforms?

jd

·
Registered
530 Posts

Ive heard the experimentals that hit California this season still lack shoe capacity too. Speeding them up didnt help I guess. Not that I figured it would, seemed to wear out quick enough before.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

I still haven't seen where the clean grain capacity is bigger?????

also The new corn head line delivers revolutionary changes
??

Revolutionary changes???? What the heck.....this thing have lasers cutting off the corn instead of knives or what?

Also they surely don't mean the chopper blade corn head that deere invented?

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:The email from Deere made note that "Significant changes on the larger two combine models will increase total harvesting system performance, with major improvements to grain handling, cleaning systems, feederhouse drives and higher horsepower levels. New residue management enhancements will be seen on all new STS combines. The new corn head line delivers revolutionary changes to material handling, grain savings, serviceability and overall corn head capacity and throughput, providing a truly balanced harvesting solution."

Nice wording! The first thing I did when the 70 series parts book was announced online on here, I went to see what the differences were in the shoe. Just as I suspected, nothing! They do have some sort of a bolt in precleaner extension that I just bet is going to be promoted as "increasing cleaning area" but it's certainly not a significant change, heck, it's not even adjustable.

Until they decide to come out with a much larger cleaning system to balance out that combine, the STS is not good value, especially when you consider its annual price increases without any "significant" improvements to justify it because all those horsepower increases are costing you about $500/pony and doing you no good. Also, I can almost bet that since all of the STS's are the same, their rotor drives are the same too and likely torque limited to a common spec. for protection. So, all of those pony's in the 9870 are there for the chopper and ground drive and not to make the rotor do any more work. At least the 8010 can keep its rotor spinning proportionally to its power. It does have a large enough cleaning hsoe to support it though.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Man I love this website when i talk to guy's at the deallership that don't know what is coming out. They always seem to say " What! where in the heck did you hear that!" Anyways we will see on aug. 21 I beleve. Make sure you sign up for the early release on deere's website.

·
Registered
166 Posts

oh ok will the new combines be aviable for purchase this fall the farmer i will be working for this fall is getting two new combines i'am wondering if they could be the new 70 series

·
Registered
114 Posts

I ordered a new 9670STS yesterday, and I got Nov 28th for delivery. There are some pre-build machines around for Intro and Fall Shows, but I don't know if they're available for sale or not. The factory may want them used as demos for fall harvest, and then bring them back to the factory over winter for study. They must not be totally sure of the new corn head's performance, as they aren't building any until April/May, as they want to do further field testing and tweaking. Doesn't that fill you with confidence?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So do you guys think it would be a bad decision to order a new cornhead for the first model year?
Wait another year and work the bugs out? Am seriously thinking of ordering one this fall so I will have it by next harvest (we start corn in mid-late August).

jd

·
Premium Member
769 Posts

I don't know anything about the new corn fronts, but i think it is always a good idea to hold off a little just to make sure they are alright. Seems that anything new has a few bugs.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Well, a corn head isn't rocket science. The old Stalkmaster have always seemed to have some performance issues, indicated by Deere keeping them in limited production. Hopefully the new 2008 Stalkmasters are improved enough for full-production. I wouldn't be too concerned over a 2008 standard corn head. I've seen pictures of them, new poly, new frame and new row units, but not drastically different from a 90 Series.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Was looking around Deere's UK site the other day and found a totally different style of cornhead. Could harvest in anydirection relative to the rows. There weren't many pictures or details. Anyone ever seen one? Pics?

Brandon

·
Registered
45 Posts

the corn head is completely dif. frame, gear boxes chains and drives. As far as combine there a few sold for this harvest .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts