The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 9760 and baleing straw

When we used a sts to lay down straw it chopped it up so much the bales all fell apart. This was in montana, the harvester went ahead and rented a 9650 walker for baling.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I've baled behind a 9750....the straw is somewhere in between IH rotor straw and conventional straw.... it makes a nice bale if you can pack it tight enough!

·
Registered
566 Posts

It will work just fine just make sure you clean out the brush on the net and you put about 4 or 5 wraps on the bale. If they will pick up cornstalks they sould pick up straw.

·
Registered
530 Posts

The reason I run Walkers is because of the demand for straw here. The amount of the straw these growers are selling more than doubles the cost of harvesting. Makes my rates look pretty lousy

·
Registered
530 Posts

The reason I run Walkers is because of the demand for straw here. The amount of the straw these growers are selling more than doubles the cost of harvesting. Makes my rates look pretty lousy

·
Registered
3 Posts

We are running a 9760 w/ JD guts and a 9750 w/ Kuchar guts and the Kuchar is really leaving some great straw. We are baling w/ a 567 and Net Wrap. After we bale the field, it will be interesting to get the baler guy's impression of the straw. We should get it baled by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

If you run your PTO speed on your baler slow but keep the ground speed of your tractor the same speed the straw won't get ground up in the baler as bad. Force feed the baler, the Deere balers don't have hooked teeth on the pickup so it is harder to do. Put your string closer and add an extra wrap or two on the edges.

Just my experience behind rotors.

There has to be some things to the combine to help. We remove most of the agitation knives from the rotor on the Challengers, this helps a lot.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

We have a farmer we cut for in Hemingford that bales behind our 9760sts combines with a John Deere baler and net wrap and seems to have no problems. He's being doing it since John Deere had the rotaries. You shouldn't have too much of a problem I'd suggest loosening the concaves a little bit as to not promote the grinding of the straw if your conditions allow.

·
Registered
530 Posts

Alex I was wondering if that effect of opening the concave helps not to grind the straw in the STSs, Slowing the cylinder speed in a walker is the key to getting the same results. Ive always tried to get more exact threshing with tighter, not closed, concave spacings but slow cylinder speeds. What happens to an STS if the concave is left on say 2 or even 1 and the cylinder slowed to under 800 rpm

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Our cylinders usually run 850 or so on the rotor and the concaves from 2-10 depending on crop mat. Less compaction and rubbing against the concaves can only mean less breakage of straw. Also if you can increase your ground speed a little bit it will help shove the straw through the rotor a little faster as well I think as opposed to moving slower and being ground on harder.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Alex, will he bale right behind the combine or can it be a day or so before he bales, we have a CaseIh combine tech at the dealership and he says you have to bale right behind the rotaries combine any make.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:Our cylinders usually run 850 or so on the rotor and the concaves from 2-10 depending on crop mat. Less compaction and rubbing against the concaves can only mean less breakage of straw. Also if you can increase your ground speed a little bit it will help shove the straw through the rotor a little faster as well I think as opposed to moving slower and being ground on harder.

The faster ground speed Alex means that the machine is running fuller and results in more grain on grain threshing rather than grain on steel, and that allows the more relaxed concaves settings. Then you start to see longer straw out the back as well.
First rule to remember is to check the windrow as you open the concaves and slow the rotor for unthreshed grain in the heads. They won't show up on any loss meter I have seen yet. When the bales start to look like "Chia-Pets" if they get rained on you know this is what has happened. The primary goal is to put grain in the tank and straw 2nd.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

No... somtimes he will bale right behind us but usually he's cutting alfalfa but it's no longer than a couple days usually. Right now cutting irrigated wheat my combine is set as rotor 870 fan 870 sieve 6 chaffer 16 ground speed 2.5 - 3.0 mph concaves set at 2 and the straw doesn't look too bad, I have a picture of it I'll get up here pretty soon and you can see for yourself, I just hope the detail is good enough.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts

all you need is a new holland round baler. they'll bale up the straw out of TR's and CR's, and make a beautiful bale with just twine.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts

As long as you use net wrap you'll be fine. Here where its so dry we cant bale behind an sts. We baled behind some lexions with no problems.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: 9760 and baling straw

I like the chopped straw coming out of rotarys. The CR will produce nice long straw or chopped up. Its nicer long for bedding cattle but for going through the Val Metal chopper for bedding chicken barns. Better if the combine chops it up. We use net wrap in the 678NH that does pick up everything. If I want long straw I keep the CR filled full. Cram it in there.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
486 Posts

I have baled behind a STS and a Axial Flow with both a big square baler and a round baler with netwrapping. I have to admit i preffered the straw coming out of the STS because the straws were longer, especially with the round baler. Only problem was getting the flow over the pickup at a consistant rate, and i sorta got it in the chamber in lumps and got some funny looking bales to show for it.

With the square baler you gotta be carefull though, as the pickup has to lift it higher than the roundbaler, which means the straw will roll a lot longer infront of the pickup until there is finally enough for the fingers to get a grip on. Busted a chain that way.

·
Registered
148 Posts

We do a lot of small grain for small dairy farms that like to small bale to straw and we run a 9860, 9760, and a 9660. They are all rotors and everybody loves the straw becuase the chaff gets mixed in the straw instead of getting laid on the bottom of the windrow. We also do 500 acres of our own barly and we us a 568 round baler and a 100 big square baler and have no trouble picking up the straw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts