The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 9770or 8010

Are you going new?

We have I think a total of only 4 8010's out and really no problems at all this year other than software. They are as reliable as I 2XXX series for sure. It is a corn eating machine, of course my opinion is completely biased as I know nothing of the JD line.

my .02

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

8010 is almost 2x the combine as the 2388. A 2588 may look the exact size as the 23, but does have faster processing, so therefore, has increased capacity, while it could still wear the 23's suit and not rip a seam.

The 2588 and 9770 will have just about the same on capacity. The 9770 is still substantially a lot less than the 8010's cap, being more equated to the 7010. Look at your private messages at top right of screen, when you scroll up. Click on that to read them.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Well, I like JD, but don't get a brand new 70 series when they come out, let them get most of the bugs fixed if you get one.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Make sure you try both, the 9770 STS and the 8010, and then go and try a 570R Lexion if you want to be impressed (grain sample, grain loss, fuel efficiency, acres per hour). Nothing can match it for the price.

·
Registered
148 Posts

We tried a 585R Lexion last year with there 12r 30" chopping corn head and was very impressed with everything exept the grain sample and the corn head. There was four guys with us from the Lexion dealer and we could not get a clean grain sample. We also have a 9760 and it is an exellent combine, very reliable and efficient. What size heads are you plannig on running

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:We tried a 585R Lexion last year with there 12r 30" chopping corn head and was very impressed with everything exept the grain sample and the corn head. There was four guys with us from the Lexion dealer and we could not get a clean grain sample. We also have a 9760 and it is an exellent combine, very reliable and efficient. What size heads are you plannig on running

All chopping corn heads are very sensitive to the condition of the crop. If very dry (less dense) the chop quality will not be as good as if the stalks still had a green content. Also, if the corn is goose necked or planted with poor guess rows stalks can be left like a fluted roll header driven too fast through the field. The priority of a chopping head is firstly fray open and expose the remaining vertical portion of the stalk still attached to the ground and secondly, to chop the residue. Must've been in a variety with a soft cob, a challenge to any combine.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Well we had our 9860 in the same field with the harvestec corn head and the harvestec did a great job and the 9860 had an very good clean sample but we could drive 6 mph with the lexion and only 4.5 mph with the 9860, so I don't think that it was the variaty. I think that is was that the guys from the dealership din't have enough experience with it and I din't have any experience with a lexion so it was idfficult for me to get it set becuase the settings are much deffrent than my john deere.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Look at a 7010... very impressed with mine. It is truly a monster in beans. In green stem beans yeilding 55-70bpa I have been pushing my 36' draper 4.5-6mph. In beans without any green stems 5.5-6 doesn't even make it work. With our 8row corn head its hard to keep the engine load over 90% consistently.

Have had 0 problems other then software so far as well.

Good luck I am sure any new machine you buy will be a great combine.

·
Registered
8 Posts

If you are looking for a machine comparable to a 9770 look towards the 7010. They are the same class machine but with some adjustments the 7010 will have a higher ground speed and a cleaner sample. A 9770 is not quite the machine an 8010 is. I bet you would be more than satisfied with a 7010. Plus that Iveco engine is great on fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have a customer that farms with a guy that just bought a new 7010 (great combine). He is running a 04 9660sts and he runs side by side with the 7010 in 50 bpa beans and they both do the same job(great). What scares me about theis new IH machines is the hydraulic drive. I think it will kill them in the long run because we all want cheap repair bills when they need fixed. A belt is going to be alot cheaper than a CVT drive, just my opinion.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:I have a customer that farms with a guy that just bought a new 7010 (great combine). He is running a 04 9660sts and he runs side by side with the 7010 in 50 bpa beans and they both do the same job(great). What scares me about theis new IH machines is the hydraulic drive. I think it will kill them in the long run because we all want cheap repair bills when they need fixed. A belt is going to be alot cheaper than a CVT drive, just my opinion.

Yes, but the idea is that a CVT drive will last longer and have less problems. How many $300+ rotor belts do people go through. Our old 2188 was at least 1 per year.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have customers running 4 and 5 year old sts machines with the factory rotor belt, that no lie. I know guys with 2388's that have old rotor belt on them not sure how old. How much will a new CVT cost a guy out of warranty.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:I have customers running 4 and 5 year old sts machines with the factory rotor belt, that no lie. I know guys with 2388's that have old rotor belt on them not sure how old. How much will a new CVT cost a guy out of warranty.

Don't know none have broken yet. Also you wouldn't be able to reverse and rock the rotor without the CVT Drive. Also the header drive is way better and stronger than the Deere. I think they are going in the right direction less belts and chains more hydraulic motors. Hydraulic motors are simple, smoother, less maintenance, and more efficient. I think all combines will go that way sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Say the cvt will cost more in the long run but its less maintenance..

There's a local operation who ran severall case combines and all they did was complain about the rotor belts breaking..

Of course the deere guys loved that.. so finally they asked my boss about ours and well he had a 1480 from 81 to 96 i believe it was and only broke one.

That was a few years before he traded.

Its not always the manufacture or combine's fault...

then again its hard to convince some of that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts