The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 9860 cleaning area?

To get good capacity out of a sts shoe the chaffer and seive have to be open quite a bit. So if there is to much chaff coming onto the shoe the grain sample will become to dirty. There are filler plates that should be installed under the bottom of the rotor if you are not losing grain over the rotors. This will help with the overloading of the shoe.

·
Registered
18 Posts

To get capacity out of the deere sized cleaning area you have to sacrifice the quality of the sample. I learned this with a 9750.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

Don't just read the specs and believe them. The truth is the cnh combines don't have as big a chaffer as they advertise. They include the pre seperation sieve that most people run closed right off anyway. There is hardly any airflow that flows through it if any. They advertise their shoe as bigger than the lexions too but I used a tape measure to compare and the lexions is way bigger. Not sure about the deere but you can't believe everything you read. Just like case and NH advertise the maximum boost hp and some othes don't. The case guys are always changing concaves to make sure they aren't overloading the shoe too.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Every combine that has a pre cleaner seive should have that accounted into cleaning area because it is part of the system and it does add capacity in all crops that I have run them in. Red or green it doesn't matter, I think if you want to do the best job possible in our area most guys will change concaves. Filler plates are okay, but they are not the same as changing the concaves.

·
Registered
85 Posts

We ran a 9760 and the first year we had that we had 160 acres of barley and we were able to go 5-5.5mph and it was doing a good job clean sample no kick over. We were only in 25ft swaths though but I don't think a 30 would have made much of a difference.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I have to correct mbfarmer on his thoughts about New Hollands pre-sieve. We run both Cat and New Holland combines....both have advantages over the other....and both give us great samples and low grain loss. However, we DO NOT run our pre-sieve closed. It makes a huge difference as far as the setting of it in all crops including wheat which we do the most of. We sure don't run it closed or even over tight for that matter. Also, the SLS is superior to the Cat 3-D sieve setup. I could go on if you want me to, but we have years of harvesting with both systems so I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

It depends on wich NH you have the cr's don't overload the seives as bad as the cx's. We had 4 pairs of brand new NH combines so I know what I'm talking. The pre sieve does add some capacity but since it has hardly any airflow you can't open it near as far as the top seive. Is you cat new enough to have the jetstream cleaning system? Because I would rather have the "smaller" jetstream sieve than the "larger" NH sieve any day. I will agree the sls is better than the 3d on side hills but we don't have too many anyways. Even the cx 840's are okay but the 880's throw over lots if you run them to power. (you can't) Most people I have talked to seem to be happier with the CR's than the case for throwing over. We used to run our pre sieves just open enough to let in a little wheat, any more open than that and the sample got bad fast. All my NH experience is with conventionals other than a cr demo and the cr didn't throw over like the cx's but in tough conditions it was going 1.5 mph slower.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:has any one got a 9860 with a 45ft-50ft front on it?
yes their are two 04 models running around qld with 45 ft midwests on them. Personally I would rather harvest wheat that kept the combine full with a 30 footer but alas that dosen't happen.

Quote:And some say 'STS' stands for superior threshing system. ppfffft!
And others sign off with the quote "axially there better". Go figure.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I was on vacation, but I will get a few things straight. First our cat, its a brand new 590R with yes, the jet-stream, the dealer put in the TM6 sieve to try and make it clean as good as our New Holland. If you want to see our sample just look in Claas/Lexion page 2008 Harvest Pics first picture....thats my New Holland sample. Our two combines are set for low losses and super clean samples...the cleanest around I guarantee it. As far as sidehills, slopes or not, the 3D sieve is just a dumb idea and a poor design end of story. As far as the pre-sieve I would ask you what concaves you are running....are they calibrated and set for tolerances front and back....are the concaves extentions in or out? What rotor rpm are you running? What sieve are you running. Is your pre-sieve handle adjusted properly(ours was not from the factory) how much fan rpm are you running? And do you have the aggressive shake on your combine. Also, are you running your return elevator rethreshers and are they adjusted correctly? We also run the trailing bars for our rasp bar set-up which helps get a good thresh the first time...If all the equipment is installed and calibrated correctly, I'd be curious then to settings. I have seen the awful field loss if the pre-sieve is closed too tightly....it throws off the whole cleaning system and nothing will make sense while you are trying to set it cause it will be all screwed up. also your chaffer extention is very important. let me know your set-up and we can chat more. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts

There are 2 distinct meanings for John Deere's STS:

1) "Straight Thru Seeder"
2) "Single Tine Seeder"

·
Registered
85 Posts

Technology, what the heck, Deere has more technology than Case. To me STS stands for suppior threashing system. You peope need to learn how to set a machine.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

2 rotors

We only run lexions now but we were running the small grain concaves in our cx's and they were supposed to be set from our dealer so the clearance at the back of the main cylinder was sligtly tighter than at the front. I don't know that concave extension are or we don't call them that. We were running the standard small grain sieve and they don't have rotors only straw walkers. We haven't run them in over three years now and the aggressive shake wasn't around then atleast in our area. We always set our presieve visually as the handles are not stiff enough or don't work good enough to set by counting the notches. We were running the rethrashers in the returns tight enough to even crack a bit of grain but they are not easy to get adjusted perfectly. Most of the time in wheat we were running the fan wide open or close to it. There is a lot better fan on the newer ones than the fan ours use to have. We tried rasp bars in and out but in dry conditions they just made the shoe overload even worse. We ran them for years and talked to many neighbors and the dealer about settings other people were running. Seemed the 840's and even our first 860's weren't too bad. But our 880's were. We couldn't go any faster than a 840 until night. We replaced three 880's with two 590's didn't lose any capacity and we never throw with them. Wheat was not bad with the NH's but barley and oats were ugly. Maybe we are bad operators but people from from belgium and all over the place come try to set them better and nobody ever did. Are you running cx's or cr's? Because when we demo'd a cr we couldn't make it throw out much and it did a good job. I'm sure NH has improved since we had them with the diffferent shake and fan and the air kit I hear people talk about. Toromont put a new aggressive shake on the 590's for us and it made the 590 even better than it was before. I just find the 590 really easy to set and are more user friendly in more conditions with rotor covers and variable speed rotors etc. They also have that second chance to thrash where the straw walkers don't. We could stop the cx's from overloading the shoe but then it just started going out the straw chopper even though the monitor wouldn't pick it up nearly as sensitive. Not to mention they cracked grain. On hot days with cylinder running as slow as we dared and the concave open over a inch the canola would come out the auger and you could see lots of yellow. We don't try to get a clean canola sample so it wasn't that we were returning a bunch and yes we put in the smooth return plates. I don't not like NH or anything we have lots of NH equipment on our farm and a lot of people in our area are pretty happy with their cr's and smaller cx's. Just sharing my experiences and keep in mind i'm comparing older NH's with newer lexions.

·
Registered
619 Posts

mbfarmer, I guess we are just comparing apples to oranges.....We run 1 cr and 1 Cat. We had a 480 and recently got a 590 which we have not had it wheat yet. I can tell you Cat wanted to get their sample as clean as our New Holland(their words not mine) so they put in the TM6 Sieve and it helped quite a bit in sunflowers cause we switched machines in the middle of harvest. As far as setting the machines we think on our farm the cr is much easier to set than our cat is. There are so many different variables we can't get into all of them....I will just say this.
Any cylinder machine is going to send more MOG to the shoe than a rotary unless the rotary guy really has his machine screwed up. I don't care who makes it...a cylinder will crack more grain, and Cats attempt to use two rotors for separation is superior to straw walkers, but in the end, it still has a dang cylinder inside, and that is the biggest factor. I could go on some more as I have enjoyed our discussion, but the senarios are endless.
I'm glad you like your 590's, we like ours as well, but for me....for now....I will run the CR. I love the sample, super low losses, quietest cab you can get, and the engine is amazing. The SLS I feel is a better shoe set-up, but I will say, I think there are parts of the Cat that are built heavier and will probably last longer.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here I always thought it meant single tine seperator! stoopid me

I think he means the grain sperator part of a deere combine is as good as but no better then any other brand. But the control of the combine from the autosteer to the cab control of all functions is superiour.

It is kind of nice to buy a Autosteer/gps/yeild and moisture monitor from the same company that makes the combine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts