The Combine Forum banner

Re: A-C SP-40 All Crop self-propelled combine

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Allcrops collector 
#1 ·

David, I have honestly NEVER even heard of any self-propelled Model 40 All Crop. The ONLY SP All Crop I have seen or even read about, was the Model 100. The 100 is basically a Model 90 made into an SPC, powered by a Wisconsin gas engine.

There was a Model 40, but it was only a pull-type. It was NOT the first All Crop, either. In fact, the Model 40 was a stab at the straight-through design market, after the fashion of the M-H Clipper, J.D. 10-12-A and such, but real Allis-Chalmers combine buyers wanted the TRUE All Crop with its L-shaped configuration. As a result, only a small amount of the 3' cut or so Model 40's were made. Yes, all the 40's are now sought after by collectors.

See less See more
#2 ·

Ahah! Now that confirms BOTH of our stories. No, it was not made that way by Allis-Chalmers, but most definitely an SP Model 40!

Three out of only five built, is an amazing track record. I just wish one Model 10 John Deere still existed. Only ten were built.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, there was a sp 40 all crop

There was a self propelled 40 all crop made.

Was it officially made by AC, well no....
It has a standard 40 with a AC "G" drive train mounted on top.
Somebody's special project, kind of neat though.

Here is a link to photos, wait for the page to load and scroll to the bottom
This unit sold in 2008 at auction.

Aumann Auctions, Inc. - Mrotek Allis Chalmers Collection

#9 ·
The model 40 was only a pull type. Some were made into a SP by universities for plot use. The JD 12/12A is an Allis Chalmers prototype 60 combine. It was a straight through design of the 60 all crop,but field performance didn't match the production 60. The prototype and all tooling were sold to John Deere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.