1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: AFX ROTOR

honestly.........

I wouldn't do anything untill you have too

1. Its very quiet.......No more growling or noise comeing from that area..

2. It does do better in bad beans..

3.A lil Less dust...but thats not a big deal.

Thats all three in order

I do think it does a better job in both crops....you also have to crank up your fan speed 50-100rpm's sometimes to help

Also at times you run it faster than the old rotor

Also you could buy a propeller adapter for your rotor (if memmory serves right)

and that would give you some benifit

Hope this helps and thats just my opinion from useing it in the last 3 years

·
Registered
11 Posts

If you have a good specialty rotor with good bars,then a stewart Steel auger front kit may be a cheap way to get performance like an AFX rotor.
If you need to purchase a used specialty rotor(unless very cheap) and put new bars on it,plus the cost of a SS auger kit($1800),you will have invested near the price of an AFX rotor. Also the AFX rotor should take more abuse than a converted specialty rotor. The AFX has a thick 1 piece skin,while the specialty rotor skin is 2 piece,and thinner if it is a few years old. Things to consider.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:those are some interesting questions, path. whats rochelle and st. john's? thanks

The Rochelle rotor started out as modifications that the CIH dealer in Rochelle, IL (Walker-Shork) made to specialty rotors to help them work better in high moisture corn. They added in a few more straight bars over the concaves to help sweep the green leaf material that tends to hairpin in this area in these conditions, allowing grain to fall out easier and not be lost or kept in the rotor longer and contibuting to damage. For a short period of time before the AFX was introduced this configuration was available from the factory.

St. Johns is an aftermarket company similar to Gordon or Stewart Steel that offers additional parts to add onto combines to help with performance.

·
Registered
330 Posts

This is very interesting reading for a guy wanting to learn a lot more - thanks a lot guys!!!

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry for not answering back sooner....

you did have alot of good questions and honestly

We had a 02 2388 brand new...come back to us as a 3 year old combine....

We had 04 2388 brand new combine....

one with afx one without....

Sure the 02 model wasn't all brand new but close

The only reall difference was noise....and yeah in tuffer conditions i could do a better job

or atleast push it a lil more than the other guy

i can't really speak for brand new vs brand new on both configurations but im close

I personally

lets say i had a 14,16,21, series combine and needed to redo alot of the interior and had the option to swtich

i would.

(as long as money is not a strong issue)

if your looking at it and thinking you know im not sure if i should put that money in it cause im getting close to how much i wanted to spend then id say not to worry about it

Let us know what you do and how it works out

·
Registered
192 Posts

I have put the AFX rotor in 3 machines. Customers have liked the capacity that they have gained. But in the regain I'm in NE we have wheat,irrg & dry corn, irrg, & dry soybeans, the wild itch weed called sorguhm or known as milo. There will be some differnces in what the owners manual says to set the machine but you can work that as I have. The difference between the AFX rotor & any other rotor is hands down in tough condtions. Ran 2388 with AFX rotor in 45 bu beans irrd then into 25 bu dry beans with leaves on and you could see green in stems,but at 5.5mpg did,nt make a sound at 7 .30pm at night. I was impress. that was with a25ft 1020 header.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts