The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Aussiefarmers Adventures, Info on what we do!

In an email Twitter asked.....
could you provide us with some background to your farming area??
what is the average yield you are getting in the area?
I guess with dryland farming there is not that much spaying to do or I am wrong with that?
Whats the price per acre?

Thanks for these questions twiter,

I shall include some answers in here as many others may not be familiar with my area in which I farm.

Firstly our farm is situated along the coast as some of my pictures show. Many different soil types ranging from 'grey coastal' rubbish dirt that doesnt hold moisture too well ranging through to red clay loams some our prized dirt!. slightly undulating hillsides with the red loam with many rocky outcrops.
farm size is just over 7000 acres with about 6000 arable acres.
Most will be cropped in a 3 or 4 year rotation starting with wheat than either one or two malt or feed barley crops than field peas to 'fix' the soil.
Yields vary quite a bit ranging from 1.5-2.5 t/ha (not sure what this is in bu? guessing about 40-50?) in cereals along the coast up to 3-4 t/ha 60-70bu??...all guessing with that conversion! and about 1-3t/ha field peas. If out wheat and barley reach 5t/ha we have very big smiles on our faces.
Gee price per acre? well thats a hard one to guage with 4 out of 5 very dry years farmers have no money and cant find mobey to buy land at the moment. but when times are good again in our area im guessing $500-1000 per acre. Some really reliable land sold for $4000 an acre a few years back but that land had never missed out on a crop in the past 40 years!
Average rainfall here is 13" along our coastal fringe up to 16" along the higher hills hence the better yeilds along those parts. However we havent come close to those totals scince 2003!. Most of this rainfall occours through our late autumn (fall) from April through till mid spring (October) growing season is April till october our winter down here.
Spraying is something that is a yearly thing that changes with the seasons. We have a lot of trouble with ryegrass being resistant to almost everything we chuck at it(if only past generations knew how much of a headache it would be when they soed it for sheep feed 50-60 years ago!) hard to get rid of hence we still use cultivation if only in minimal form. Other than spraing broadleaf and grass weeds out of cereals and peas an insecticide is applied to peas for grub control at pod set not a lot of spraying is done here some still spray too much but we have cut down due to the dry years we have had and the price of the d**n stuff.
we also run about 800 too many sheep, breading fat lambs for market and merino ewes for wool although looks like they are on the way out due to the rumblings of a certain animal right group called PETA(People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and their vandeta against mulesing a necesity to prevent flystrike. without it more than half our flock would die from flystrike. Most of you have probley heard a thing or two on the subject lately it is a quick procedure that may be slightly painful at the time but gives the sheep a life long protection from flystrike(maggot infestation of the back end of a sheep) We run brittish breed rams over the ewes for the fat lambs. White Suffolks and Broder Leicester rams are our chice. Lambs from these rams dont have to be mulsed which has made it a more attractive prospect.! not to mention more profitable as far as lamb prices go.

will post some pics of our lambs in the feed lot when i get off the tractor in the next few weeks.

hope this fills you all in and thanks again for the responses keep them coming if you want to know anything.

aussiefarmer

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Aussiefarmers Adventures, Info on what we do!

Hi all!, have split up my blog into threads so hopefully you can all see how it looks and give Lance & Alex a bit of feedback on this new change as to if you like it or not.
have left this post as the main post as it outlines our operation and how we do it etc.

Aussiefarmer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts