The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Re: capacity of 9400 combine in corn ??

what combiness said, 5mph is too fast unless you don't care what your field looks like.

We're running a one year old 693 platform and it does a great job at 3.9mph, we go 4.5mph and it doesn't cuz the stalks up near as good.

·
Registered
886 Posts

Quote:what combiness said, 5mph is too fast unless you don't care what your field looks like.

How would that have an Effect on what your paddock looks like? I havn't had much time with corn.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

maybe language barrier difference, but whats a paddock?

a quick search on google said it was a field, so im just gonna give my explanation based on that...

If ya go fast, it doesn't give the knife rolls enough time to chew the stalks of the corn, and you'll end up with 3'-4' tall stalks int he field because instead of chewing the stalks into tiny 3"-4" stalks, it just strips the ear and leaves the stalk almost completely intact.

When you go to chisel the field, its harder because the stalks want to roll up with each other and pile up in front of the chisel shanks. which is a pain to clean out, and doesn't save you anytime at all. Also, the faster you go, the more grain loss you have....technology has advanced alot, but engineers still can't make a perfect cornhead/combine that allowed you to go 5mph with nice short stalk stubble and almost zero grain loss.

I'll snap some pics today if we get the combine running again of what 5mph cornstalks look like and whats dropped out of the back of the combine for seed compared to 4mph. You lose alot of money quickly going too fast...its really uncalled for unless your on the last field of the year and trying to beat a week long storm that would be coming in.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I'd say go about 3.2-3.5 like Combiness said. We go four mile an hour with our 8010 and 8 row head

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

we tried 4.5mph and it was too much, but we run 4.2mph and it still does a great job...i'd just play around with it and see what you like is my best advice....we like our stalks short so it makes easier work covering them up with the ripper.

·
Registered
886 Posts

Quote:maybe language barrier difference, but whats a paddock?

a quick search on google said it was a field, so im just gonna give my explanation based on that...

If ya go fast, it doesn't give the knife rolls enough time to chew the stalks of the corn, and you'll end up with 3'-4' tall stalks int he field because instead of chewing the stalks into tiny 3"-4" stalks, it just strips the ear and leaves the stalk almost completely intact.

When you go to chisel the field, its harder because the stalks want to roll up with each other and pile up in front of the chisel shanks. which is a pain to clean out, and doesn't save you anytime at all. Also, the faster you go, the more grain loss you have....technology has advanced alot, but engineers still can't make a perfect cornhead/combine that allowed you to go 5mph with nice short stalk stubble and almost zero grain loss.

I'll snap some pics today if we get the combine running again of what 5mph cornstalks look like and whats dropped out of the back of the combine for seed compared to 4mph. You lose alot of money quickly going too fast...its really uncalled for unless your on the last field of the year and trying to beat a week long storm that would be coming in.

LOL.

I really should stop saying paddock.

That makes sense. And if you can get those pictures I would be very appreciative. considering it puts those marks in your feild.

·
Registered
43 Posts

John Deere 9400 with an 8 row in 200 bu corn? I'd say 3 mph is optimistic at best. Those little combines are better suited to a 4 or 6 row.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I agree with cartguy. My 9400 with a 494 head is about at its horsepower and strawwalker limit at 4 mph in 200 bu. corn. Unless you've turned the 'smoke screw' and have grain pouring over the walkers, I don't think a 9400 with an 8 row head is a real good idea, at least in my conditions.

Adrian

·
Registered
182 Posts

I would say that a 9600 can do 3000 bpa, but it shouldn't. I have one and I would say the 2400-2600 is max in most conditions. Just my thoughts. At 3000, I bet your losses are quit high.

·
Registered
238 Posts

We run a 9600 with a 8 row at around 4.5-4.7 in 170-210 bpa corn and have very little loss but we only try to get ears off the stalk instead of trying to run the whole stalk through the machine. We burn our fields off when through, so stalk height doesn't really matter because it only leaves about a three inch stalk, so we can speed up a little without any loss.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If your corn head is set right, and corn has no weird stalk problems, there is really no sound reason to ever run the entire plant through the combine--just the ears. Corn heads are designed to snap or pop off those ears, and that's what the machine eats.

Still, by what you say and ground speeds given for the 9600, what I said earlier, for the 9400 is reasonably accurate.

·
Registered
182 Posts

200 bushel corn, 20' header, 4.6 mph would be about 2230 BPH. Thats is about the sweet spot of the 9600 I believe.

Start getting about 2500-2700 and it does not work as well IMO.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Type of corn, stalk condition, moisture, row length, bin capacity, auger cart and truck operator skill are all variables and there are more I can't list off the top of my head.

I can't shell over 2000 bu/hr here, no one can handle that much

A few yrs back, shelled some 220 corn at4.5-4.8 , at 13%, easy shelling, very low MOG intake, 1/2 mile rows and a cart with 2 semis hauling to town and had elevator in town dumping in a separate pit and the leg rate at 3000 bph couldn't keep up so we had to back off a tad.

Depending on conditions, a 9400 and 8 row will be way low on power and even worse on bin capacity.

jd

·
Registered
85 Posts

a 9400 with an 8 row would be crawling at best....IF it would even pick the corn head up. I suspect youd need a pretty impressive set of suitcase weights on the rear axle...

·
Registered
66 Posts

your dreaming if you think you can run an 8 row at 4 mph. it can only handle 4 rows in those yields at 4mph

·
Registered
321 Posts

Man we're really railing on the ol' 94's in this post - lest we forget it has the same size throat, cylinder/concave, shoe size, and hydraulics as a 95xx, just shorter walkers, less hp and a tiny bin. There are plenty of 95xx with an 8 row header out there.

It will handle an 8 row, just will be a big pain in the kisser.

jd

·
Registered
73 Posts

My friend has a 9500 with a 494 head. THey have it so they can make a full round. And less compaction. But this year it does not matter.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts