The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: case ih harvesters

The answer is 3.

The question doesn't make any sense - what are you asking?

-Lance

·
Registered
356 Posts

Aren't Kubota tractors used for lawn care and landscaping? We need something with just a little bit more power.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts

I think if you're going to have Kubota tractors, you'll need a Deere combine to seed with, cause you won't have the power to pull anything all that big! Then you maybe just have to pull some harrows with your kubota to get nice even germination.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:I think if you're going to have Kubota tractors, you'll need a Deere combine to seed with, cause you won't have the power to pull anything all that big! Then you maybe just have to pull some harrows with your kubota to get nice even germination.

The long GREEN LINE!!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts

Kubota largest tractor is 125 hp according to their website. That is only big enough for a 14' implement (depending on the ground and topography).

No one can really answer your question because it does not contain enough information. We need more variables to further answer your question.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts

Quote:a deere combine for seeding...now thats funny

I've seen it... a neighbour here had a CH come in and harvest 200 ac of canola, last year. This year, we pulled off 18bu/acre volunteer crop from what the spreader on the 9610s "seeded".

-Christian

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts

Quote:
Quote:a deere combine for seeding...now thats funny

I've seen it... a neighbour here had a CH come in and harvest 200 ac of canola, last year. This year, we pulled off 18bu/acre volunteer crop from what the spreader on the 9610s "seeded".

-Christian

Well yeah, but what some here may not realize is you only seed 5 pounds +/- an acre. So if previous canola crop went 40 that's only 1/4 of 1%!
You have more field shattering then that. Far more.
Not trying to be mean, just a realist.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

-Christian

Well yeah, but what some here may not realize is you only seed 5 pounds +/- an acre. So if previous canola crop went 40 that's only 1/4 of 1%!
You have more field shattering then that. Far more.
Not trying to be mean, just a realist.

Don

True, Don... I guess I should have mentioned that they harvested 12bu/acre on the original crop. The canola was so thick, that it was nearly impossible to swath - it actually started to choke itself out!

-Christian

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts

Quote:I guess I should have mentioned that they harvested 12bu/acre on the original crop. The canola was so thick, that it was nearly impossible to swath - it actually started to choke itself out!
-Christian

My dad always said in the long run a volunteer crop doesn't pay. It will be either too thick or too thin. In the area I think your from, why was it left to volunteer?

Dad
I mean Don
Guess you can see why I edited.

·
Registered
21 Posts

We had a lot of volunteer Wheat in Ks. (so. central) We had such a late Harvest last season due to all the extended rains we had, that a lot of Wheat was already down when we cut. We were hurting for rain this season prior to our planting window so some farmers dusted their Wheat in, then when we got rain the volunteer popped up covering their fields so bad you couldn't see the planted rows. A lot of farmers re-worked everything over and re-planted, some left their's the way it was and some that hadn't planted yet, planted right over the top of it ? I sprayed (Rnd-Up) all my fields before I planted except one little 10 acre patch just to see what it'll do.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts

Quote:
Quote:I guess I should have mentioned that they harvested 12bu/acre on the original crop. The canola was so thick, that it was nearly impossible to swath - it actually started to choke itself out!
-Christian

My dad always said in the long run a volunteer crop doesn't pay. It will be either too thick or too thin. In the area I think your from, why was it left to volunteer
Dad
I mean Don
Guess you can see why I edited.

To make a long story short, the guy who own(ed) it quit farming, and rented it out... the CH was working for the guy who rented it. This year, he didn't rent it out, but also didn't have anything to work the fields with. After the trouble he had last year, he also didn't want to rent it to me, but then changed his mind later in the year. We made a deal, and part of it was to clean up that field, and split the canola off of it
Considering we only yield 20 bu/acre of canola on the land we own, it was a pretty good deal, IMHO.

I've never left a volunteer crop on my own fields. Then again, haven't come across fields like that before!

Funny thing - Dad always said the same thing as you!

-Christian

PS: Hey Don, I'm curious as to what you meant by "In the area I think you are in"?

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts

Quote:
PS: Hey Don, I'm curious as to what you meant by "In the area I think you are in"?

Ah, more than happy to explain this one. When one is exchanging ideas as we are here, I find it useful to know where the "other guy" is from, but alas, the vast majority of members have no location identification at all. As you can see I have all the room in the world to whine on this one. I wished Alex would have have made location mandatory, it would have been so interesting, but maybe it wouldn't have flown, my involvement in forums not counting this one, 0. I also believe "full disclosure" gives one greater credibility, but it's obvious to me that there's a "forum culture" I just don't understand. I will now step down from my soap box.
You had mentioned going to AgDays in Brandon, so my guess is your in southern Manitoba, where no one would have intentional summerfollow, you've filled that gap already.
Am I close?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts

Don,

I'll go into forum culture a tad bit for ya
There are a lot of 'lurkers' on the net, which some people are afraid of, and thus don't like showing where they are from. Personally, I spend a LOT of free time volunteering on support boards for things like Linux, web-software, etc so I'm not really worried about it, but if you're not that much into the web, it's not always a good idea to give out too much information. The web has a population in the hundreds of millions at any time, and you never know who is reading what you write.

Now, I'm from the norther boonies of southern Manitoba. We're 50KM north of Dauphin, which itself is 200+/- KM north of Brandon. The closest village is Ethelbert, and there's a ghost-town called Ukraina about 4 miles east of me. There aren't many active farmers around, well, actually, there are only three in the RM of Ethelbert, counting myself
The rest are hobby farmers, or work off-farm.

Then, to the south, we have some "Rich Kid Farmers" who make big messes on the land they rent (which happened to that canola field). As for summerfallow, around here all the old-timers still think that you need to let the land "breath" for a year between crops... Average yields around here are low - 20bu/acre in Canola, 30 - 45 in oats, 10- 15 in wheat, and peas, 5 - 10 in flax, and 20 - 30 in barley.

Boy... this post went off-topic! Sorry! Don, I guess we should PM this conversation, and keep the thread on Case IH combines

-Christian

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts

Quote:As for summerfallow, around here all the old-timers still think that you need to let the land "breath" for a year between crops... Average yields around here are low - 20bu/acre in Canola, 30 - 45 in oats, 10- 15 in wheat, and peas, 5 - 10 in flax, and 20 - 30 in barley.
Boy... this post went off-topic! Sorry! Don, I guess we should PM this conversation, and keep the thread on Case IH combines

-Christian

Yes, slightly off topic, but I appreciate your "forum culture" lesson, Christianh, thank you. As you probably gathered, my ignorance of this type of thing is only exceeded by my incredible slow typing speed!
I hope those aren't every other year yields, can't see a living at that.

Don

·
Registered
109 Posts

Don & Christianh keep up the good work I enjoy all post! this could be off topic. but here is my test results from volunteer wheat 1st time seeded by a 1420 CIH seeder 23 bushels and 36 planted with drill not in the same field but side by side fields,the second was planted this past fall (2006) with a 8010 seeder, last field harvested in 2006 so lots of heads already on ground before harvested! We take over ground for first time this year, walk ground in spring to decide what to plant and looks like average wheat so we put on 50 N some copper, and 24D figured at the time we need 26 bushels to get custom combining and rent out of it got lucky and got 40 out it and 53 average for the rest that was drilled in.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:

Honestly, that's like asking us our opinion of running Case-IH combines and Ford Trucks.

Thats ok. I think Case-IH combines and Ford Trucks are a great combo. Whats..........oops sorry getting off topic.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts