The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: caseih break downs

Combines are combines. They break down purely out of spite in order to make your life miserable. Sounds like a bad week...hope things go better for ya.

Oh and what do you mean by your unloading auger "cratering." Ive never heard that term.

Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts

Every combine has its problems from time to time, I don't care what colour it is, it's going to break down some time. I still firmly beleive in a thorough pre-season check over. A little extra money spent is worth it compared to down time when there are crops to come off.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

cujo, your comment would be a lot more meaningful if you told us how many hours and the vintage of the machines. If they are pushing 3000 hours I would have an entire different set of expectations than if they are under 500 hours.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

yeah i was kinda going to say what the last guy said.....

Everything brakes down even lexions..... believe it or not.....

·
Registered
131 Posts

well with that attitude i would be glad if you do change color, a 1688 machine is a 1993/94 model !!!! cant work forever without a breakdown!!!!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Good luck with that.

The more I read these forums on the net, the more I am finally starting to understand why the factories build machines with such a short usable lifespan into them now days. There just are not enough people left anymore that can maintain a machine older than about 2 or 3 years. No reason to make a machine that can last longer than that if no-one can use it.
Oh well, there are still a few that can own and operate a 1688 profitably. Maybe they will buy yours so you can buy something else to give you headaches.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

sounds like ussual always have a fuel or hyd leak broken unloader or something we ask a lot of these things thats why we always have a new one a kind of new one and a older machine. think our old one is a 2000 with the 9120 being the newest. hold on it will get better

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Your OLD one is only a 2000 model??? Wow that is practically just out of the package. Our "new one" is still 15 years old but she runs like a top. lol enjoy driving your 9120!!!!!

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts

Heck our 1440 is 30 years old. You could probably drive through a 9120 its so small. We all have your good and bad years. second year we had it we put $3000 into it. The last 2 years it been maybe $500. I would like a newer one but can't justify the money.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance and loss of productivity. Ever heard of pre-season maintenance? A lot of breakdowns during harvest are due to a lack of it (not that i'm saying you haven't) but usually it is. Rotor belts normally break because of drivers not operators and also not being adjusted correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Oh yes, alot of break downs can be stoped if the combine was inspected before harvest and repaired.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Drives me nuts when guys are pissed at the manufacturer because they brokedown then they say "this has happened to everyone I know". Well if it has happened to everyone you know maybe that should be your first clue that you should keep an eye on it.

expletive deleted

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: caseih br8010eak downs

The reilability of the machine is how the owner takes care and maintains it. I have owned 20+ axial flow combines with very great luck. Several 2188s with over 5000 hours, I had a 98 2388 what we put 6700 hours on. They are a great machine what will last for a long long time and are simple to rebuild from front to rear. With the hours comes maintanence to keep them up and running. We now have our 1st 8010 and are fixing on trading our 2388s for another 8010. Have been very pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

And freak things happen...we roll two combines every year and have been for 12 years or so...

The only common issue weve seen is in 03 they changed how the seperator engaged and that really was a dumb idea.....that lead to putting on a belt every year basically..

Also theyve really came a long ways on the radiator department...and how all of that is set up and works...its alot easier to get too..

There really good machines...and very low maintenance..

·
Super Moderator
4,370 Posts

I gather you mean trade. When I first read that I thought you meant roll as in up set.
Thought you were doing donuts in 98j's fields.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts

I bloo up 2 gear boxes that drive the feeder & the beater on a 8010. The feeder chain would stop for no reason at all and plug the feeder house. Then I had to reverse and try to put it through. Has any body had trouble with this on a 8010?

Cliff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts