The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: CIH 9400 Equivalent

Our '89 1660 compares well to our neighbors 91 9500. We have cut together and they are a very good match for each other.

As I understand the JD line, the primary difference in the 9400 to the 9500 would be the HP. This is also the same basic difference between the 1660 and the 1640, so I guess that you could conclude that the 9400 and the 1640 would be comparable.

·
Registered
111 Posts

A good friend & close neighbor owns a 9400. I never cut with him in the same field when we had our 1660 but ran across the fence many times. IMO the two machines were pretty equal in what we could do in a day.

Several 9500s around here and they seemed more comparible to the 2366 we had after the 1660. One thing when comparing to a 9500 which engine it has makes a big difference in their output. Most around here had the bigger engine.

·
Registered
590 Posts

I am late to this question, so don't know if you are still looking, however, having had 5 years of experience with a 1994 9400 and 7 years with a 1999 9410, I agree with the above posts. The 1440 and 1460 would compare to the 9400 and 9500 respectively in the early years, 1989-1992. The early 9400s had a really small engine, 359 cid. In 1992-3 DE upgraded to a 414 cid (185 HP) which made the machine a much better performer, a super 7720 so to speak. The later 9400s had the same horsepower as the early base 9500s (about 185-190 HP). I believe the early 9500s always had a 466 cid, just different juice on the pump/computer. HP upgrades over the years are probably similar with the IH machines.

The only major difference in a 9400 and 9500 besides the engine is the 9500 has 18 more inches of straw walker. I have run across the fence from a neighbor who runs 1460s and a 1660 and we can run together and in tougher conditions I outrun them or run when they don't. I am in east central Kansas cutting wheat (700-750 acres), milo (600-700 acres) and soybeans (200-300). Except in heavy wheat we really don't test the capacity of the machines. Our yields run 30-60 BpA on wheat, 10-40 on soybeans, and 50-100 BpA on milo.

We chose the 9400 because it was $10,000 cheaper than a 9500, new. Also, for you rotor guys who run with conventionals, a question? Can you run a rotor in all conditions (high moisture, weeds) equally with a conventional? It has always been our belief a rotor could not. Even though I bleed green, I will agree the sweetest machine I ever run in clean dry conditions was a 2388. Getting off subject now, but enquiring minds are curious.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I have run a 2388 in high moisture and weeds fine. But when there are large quantities of weeds in the field, it is also going to show some in the grain tank when the moisture comes up. This will slow you down considerably. If there are a lot of weeds, you can bet you are going to shut down around an hour after sun down, sometimes sooner; depends on the amount of moisture in the air. It also depends on the rotor, the AFX seems to do much better than the old conventional rotor used to, in all conditions that I have faced.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks, Rother, for the response. You are in Oklahoma so have similar wheat conditions. Here, sometimes it is really weedy. But weeds are less a problem now than years ago, we spray alot now.

It sounds like the rotor technology has improved a lot the last 10 years. In our local area there are not very many newer machines and most of the rotors are 1460s-1680s. A few newer Gleaners (R50s and R62-65), no STS.

One of our larger farmers in the area has switched from conv green to rotor red over the last several years. I don't know if it was all dealer related (some I think) but they now run two 2388s and traded their 9610 last year. Same crops as us. Maybe that answers my question.

·
Registered
620 Posts

I would look at a 1640 with a cummins engine or a 1644 against a 9400. The 9400 would have more problems in high yielding crops than the 1644 as it has the shorter straw walkers than the 9500.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote: Also, for you rotor guys who run with conventionals, a question? Can you run a rotor in all conditions (high moisture, weeds) equally with a conventional? It has always been our belief a rotor could not. Even though I bleed green, I will agree the sweetest machine I ever run in clean dry conditions was a 2388. Getting off subject now, but enquiring minds are curious.

Axial Flow experience here. It all depends on the ponies you got cranking, as well as what rotor you have inside that cage. A 1480 with 210hp will crap out pretty quickly in wet, green conditions when its turning over a standard rotor. However, put a late model 2388 with 280hp (we'll stick with stock ratings here
), or the very latest with 285hp, on that same size rotor....making it an AFX style now, you can stick it out a LOT longer, usually til its either bedtime or that dang rain is just coming down too hard.

If in really consistent, tough conditions like areas of Canada, the cylinder machine will most likely be the best option (have been told by several that those NH CX items have mucho capacity), however for North America and most of Canada, the modern day rotor is the best bet. May explain why now no cylinder/walker machines are made in NA now, the Deere, CX, Lexion are all brought in from Europe.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks, Cropcutter. Everything you said makes perfect sense.

For our operation the 9410 will have to work a lot more years (just spent our first dollars in 6.5 seasons and 1400 hours on a summer rebuild after wheat harvest 2005- $8,000). Can't afford anything new at current economics.

Curious, you said no more conventionals are built in the NA. I did notice DE is bringing over the pond the 9660 WTS, but still shows a 9560 conventional on their build and price (website). Are they building those in Moline or bringing them over too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts