The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: Combine pics

Mason, it must have just rained, those tractors are way too clean to have been cutting.
Thanks for the pics, not much corn grown around here.

·
Registered
127 Posts

well i made a mistake they run 8 combines and farm somewhere around 30,000 to 35,000 acers they trade every year on the account of they put alot of hours on these machines the extra auger on the header im not sure of i think it helps suport the stock 1 to to get in more corn (like i said im not sure) and yes David it was raining me and my dad were bored so i decided to take some pics we wetn a little farther down the road (to hickman KY) and there was flooding on the roads and in the feilds it looked pretty bad

Mason

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:What is the extra auger for in the corn head?

I assume its to help the trash feed in better. I run a trash reel on my 18-20 corn head to help keep the trash from building on the center snouts.

·
Registered
209 Posts

I believe they actually have 8 combines. Not sure how many 9760's or 9860's. But the last I heard was about 20,000 here in W. Kentucky and W. Tennessee and about another 10-15,000 in Louisiana and Arkansas. That was of earlier this year.

·
Registered
246 Posts

The one combine looks pretty clean, the other one has a cab top piled with grain and the feederhouse has a pile on it. Difference in operators i guess????? Good pics by the way!

·
Registered
127 Posts

well i ask them. They said it was to help feed the trash into the combine. They run 2 9860s and the rest of em are 9760s. They are good farmers and dont play around. They have got 10 8530s tractors ordered right now.

Mason

·
Registered
72 Posts

that pile of corn on the cab has been there so long it is growing. I imagine the grease fittings get treated about the same.

·
Registered
127 Posts

trust me these machines don't get neglected they keep them in tip-top shape and trade every 2 years.

Mason

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:that pile of corn on the cab has been there so long it is growing. I imagine the grease fittings get treated about the same.

How arogant are you to assume that such a successful farmer doesn't treat their machinery well? Also, those are not sprouted corn, they are corn leaves. You don't farm 35000 acres by negelecting your tools and land.

Great photos Mason

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

The only way to have such small, green leaves of corn IS from young, sprouted shoots, NOT the current, ripe, dry crop being harvested. I don't think greengiant is being arrogant at all, for pointing this out to general attention.

Maybe these machines are not so neglected, but something about the green leaves on top of the cab and on catwalk sure doesn't look right.

Yes, to a large degree, I would agree with you about not letting things be neglected, Farmerknowsbest, but like others here, I've also seen my share of even the biggest farmers in the areas I've worked, who are absolute slobs when it comes to just maintenance. Unfortunately, there are those just like a BTO near Ulysses, Kansas, who just gets all new stuff to use only for a duration--and never so much as uses a grease gun! Just ask the one who has to do all the repairs on the machines, once they come back to the dealer's shop.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Quote:that pile of corn on the cab has been there so long it is growing. I imagine the grease fittings get treated about the same.

How arogant are you to assume that such a successful farmer doesn't treat their machinery well? Also, those are not sprouted corn, they are corn leaves. You don't farm 35000 acres by negelecting your tools and land.

Great photos Mason

In addition to the SPROUTING CORN
on the roof and catwalk, they are equipped with very large grain tank extensions that exceed the load restrictions of the 9860 STS's front axle and final drives (not a smart thing to be using if operating in rolling or wet/poorly drained ground), and are also operating with 18 row/20 inch corn heads, which, when combined with the very large grain tank extensions significantly exceed the load restrictions of the front axle, not to mention the power limit of the feederhouse drive/reverser gear box being exceeded as caused by the excessive number of row units (Deere does not support the use of 1820 corn heads on their combines). If these two 9860 STS's are equipped with the variable speed feederhouse drive, I bet they are some slipping son-of-a-guns. I bet the pair of them probably go through at least 5 feederhouse drive belts a year and at least one of them (if not both) fails a feederhouse drive/reverser gear box (both of which are known STS concerns that both Deere and its dealers WILL express to the customers).

I bet the owner of these combines is glad they were posted on this site so all can see what he/she is doing to their combines over their two years of ownership. If I were a Deere Territory Rep. or dealer reading this discussion thread, I would be taking notes and printing pages for future reference when dealing with this customer (buyer too, beware...if you know of these combines, take note and be cautious when considering buying one or both of them), there are three easily noticed warranty violations at work here.

It always amazes me at how free some people are when it comes to posting pictures on this site without asking for permission from the owners of the equipment they have photographed. More than once, I have noticed that some pictures on here violate the manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Guys honestly it doesn't long for a crop to sprout if it's half way warm and wet In texas we would have milo growing everywhere if they sat for a couple days because of rain and trust me we definetly took care of the machines so you can't always read into what's not there (i.e. a picture is worth a thousand words which ones are true?). Who hasn't had the crop run off the extensions at least once? I know sometimes the buzzer fails, you stop too quickly when full, etc. There's ways to have the grain there and everywhere else without the operator just not paying attention.

I'm not saying it's not from neglect but they're in Kentucky? and you can tell from the pictures the trees are still green so it's still above freezing and if a pile of wet corn that occured from one of the afformentioned accidents then got wet and warmed up a little bit it wouldn't take long for it to sprout and grow.

Also don't think the local Deere dealer doesn't know what they're doing to those machines. Hoenstly if they're rolling that much equipiment every few years then the Dealer and reps are always around talking and inquring about the machines. I'm sure they see all the things they aren't supposed to do to the machines, but somehow they keep rolling new machines?

Also who hasn't added a power chip to a tractor, with that could go too much power to the transmission and blow the transmission up or the transmission could mess up the rearend, or the motor could just blow up. Everyone has done things to get by, maybe that extra 100 bushels makes them more efficient. Maybe your extra 10-20-50 H.P. makes your tractor more efficient, but it doesn't do anymore harm than the extentions and header did to the combine. Maybe it hasn't been the big things such as this, but modifying even the littlest thing is changing the structure from pure stock form.....

-Alex

·
Registered
349 Posts

We always have corn growing all over our combine, in the engine bay, on the cab, it spills everywhere, rains on it then it grows. I scrape probably atleast 4 bushel a day off the top of our cab. The top of our cab can hold 2.5 bushel of dry corn, thats additional storage to keep the machine rolling! Know matter how big the tank or extensions i'll overfill it with or w/o a buzzer, never fails. I guess if someone thinks your a bad farmer becuase of corn on your combine cab then they need to get a hobby.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts