The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: CR 980 pics from Czech republic

I'd guess it to be about 25', cogleaner.
The distance on most combines between the hexagonal 'bulkheads' to support the tine tubes or batts on most combines is 5'. Correct me if I'm wrong ladies/gents.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Well, for my Metrically challanged friends to the south, he did say 7.5 metres.
And yes, that would be a 25 foot head.

Oh, and 1 q/ha = 1.593 bu/ha, although I had to google that one.
80 x 1.593 = 127.44bu/acre.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:Well, for my Metrically challanged friends to the south, he did say 7.5 metres.
And yes, that would be a 25 foot head.

Oh, and 1 q/ha = 1.593 bu/ha, although I had to google that one.
80 x 1.593 = 127.44bu/acre.

"q" refers to Quintal or, Quintar depending on the region(s) you are in and its value is just as variable as its pronunciation (just like our questionable use of a bushel as an indicator of crop yield, a volume unit with variable weights). Although a dismissed unit of mass in the US, it was once assumed to be equal to 100 kg (220 lbs). It is still in use today in most of the Middle East, where it is roughly equal to 50 kg. So, if you go buy the value of where it is currently used most widely, 80 q/ha = 4000 kg or 8800 lbs. 8800 lbs of 60 lb wheat = 147 bushels / ha. A hectare = 2.5 acres so, 146/2.5 = 58.8 bpa wheat, which is quite low for Western European small grains (i.e., UK, Westphalia Germany) but, not necessarily low for certain parts of Western Europe, depending on how progressive of a region it is). However, by the looks of the straw and head density, size of heads (although they may not be totally full) my guess is this crop is closer to 80 - 100 bpa. It all depends on the interpretation of what "q" actually is. It's value in the Czech Rep. may be different than what is used in the Middle East. I found 3 - 4 different interpretations of "q" on the www.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts