The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: deere air scoop mod

Hey, I really like that broad splash of yellow. It really adds contrast and some brightness to the combine.
I haven't seen as much yellow added since the 1970's and think it looks as good as when even some of the older 5 Series had more yellow points, too! besides, by itself [all green], I'm not overly impressed by the styling of that scoop.

By the way, I'll make your boss a deal on that banner he's got hanging on the wall!

·
Registered
894 Posts

All looks aside, if this is a required factory update / campaign, paid for by the factory, and not a voluntary upgrade made at the cost of the school and/or the customer, Deere will probably have issues with it, especially if the machines are still under warranty. an by the looks of the decor of the shop, your trade school relies heavily on Deere funding.

The most sacred element of any consumer products manufacturer is its brand equity (i.e., name and color). Above all else, image comes first and products a very, very distant second and so on. Companies will jump through hoops to protect their image, going so far as to even patent color schemes and shades. There is even a legal way in which the Deere logo is to be displayed, not that it is enforced 99% of the time towards the general public, but the % of green pain proportional to yellow, proportional to the image of the leaping Deere is all part of a legal trade mark and if not depicted accordingly legal action can take place - this really becomes more of an issue with all of the clothing, toy, etc. manufacturers that Deere has zero affiliation other than these companies using Deere's logo for a fee paid directly to Deere. (Deere isn't in the toy, clothing, hat, tool or home accessory business).

The combine looks good, just make sure that the rep is ok with it and doesn't come in and have it changed back because it doesn't fit Deere's image. Remember, image is everything and perception is reality - Marketing 101! Interests wouldn't be as high in Ford automobiles if they didn't have the unique lettering in the blue oval.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well said, Muddy. Now maybe you are also aware that Deere and Company does not [or at least did not] actually own their own leaping deer emblem. Somewhere, back in the 1970's, shortly after the logo was changed from the 4-legged to the 2-legged leaping deer emblem, Big D was thrown into a lawsuit by White Stag, a clothing manufacturer, over the infringement of that emblem. Deere lost, and ended up paying a hefty royalty to White Stage, which ended up actually legally owning the 2-legged deer emblem.

From then on, Deere became very picky over the use of their trademark, color theme and even as you said, the exact hue of green or yellow, itself. Really, however, one does not have to look all that far to see that ALL companies actually have legally patented their corporate colors down to the actual hue. This is what makes them unique and is as symbolic to each respective manufacturer as the brand name of their products.

Deere was not actually just "being overly stingy or picky" about their name and trademark as many may think. In reality, they faced some rather serious consequences had their name, trademark and yes, even color [although the color was not as big of an issue], just got thrown around by all the casual copycats, because they did not own it! They feared further recourse by White Stage, the real owner!

This of course, was especially true where any consumer goods and clothing were concerned, in direct competition with White Stag! Still, Deere's lawyers did put on much a "witch hunt" in the late 1970's, chasing down and prosecuting anyone using their logo without authorization. Besides the many custom harvesters and even farmers, who proudly displayed the name/logo of their favorite equipment on their other vehicles and business cards, there were [believe it or not] even some J.D. dealers busted for unauthorized use or display of the trademark! Things just got out of hand on both sides. No wonder I was issued a letter telling me i could NOT include the image or [old] logo of the John Deere Model 95 in a belt buckle series I wanted to produce, portraying some classic combines. By then, 15 years had even passed since the last Model 95 had rolled off the assembly line! Go figure!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Even if that air intake scoop was a warranty update thing, it was a seperate install from the repaint.

Once deere has sold the machine, there isn't much they can do about what you choose to do to the machine you own. Paint it pink if you want. The official deere logo probably cannot legally be modified, but you could always remove that from the machine.

What was done here, was certainly not to disgrace the deere logo. It's the equivalent of putting pin stripes on a truck, or some flames on a car. I like the yellow highlights. Good work JOJOBEAN.

-Lance

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

CYou're right, Lance. Individual customizing on a PRIVATELY-OWNED machine is allowable, even a John Deere--as long as that name or logo is not altered or defaced in any way. Complete removal is allowable. That is not defacing.

My point was about the use of that logo and corporate color on other than Deere-built machinery or vehicles. I actually know of some custom cutters who were made to remove the Deere trademark decals from their trucks and remove or redo their signs which showed their own name and pictures of the combines on it.

I can see why Deere would be very picky about any toys, replicas or even belt buckles displaying their trademark, color or likeness of any particular products, but yes, I honestly did feel rather cheated when I was ordered to halt production of and omit the portrayal of the John Deere 95 from my series, "Classic Combines of north America." To delete the 95 from this, would indeed, be tantamount to a text on Civil War history omitting the Battle of Gettysburg, Shiloh or Antietem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts