The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Double Cropping?

Guys around here tried it, but with the dry weather its not going to amount to much.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:Guys around here tried it, but with the dry weather its not going to amount to much.
I local guy did it on his irrigated ground, planted wheat and then harvested it and in the next couple days planted soybeans in the field. They aren't very tall, and it will be a late harvest...

·
Registered
504 Posts

Its a typical thing to do where I'm at and further south. We only planted where we could water so we ended up with a few hundred acres of layout ground but thats better than having a few hundred acres of dying beans.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Planted 27 acres of milo on June 22 after I cut the wheat. That's about 2 weeks later than the regular milo. No-tilled it in right behind the combine...Starting to head out today but man it sure could use some rain.

ks8780

·
Registered
299 Posts

Planted 75 acres of Milo on June 23....no-tilled into froze/flooded/10acres harvested wheat and stubble and it too is just starting to head. Need a rain and break this heat! Did I fail to mention that it was 105 here today?

Just ask the Milo plant...LOL

·
Registered
566 Posts

There is a bunch of it to the north of us away's. They were planting corn yet on the 8th of july, in EC NE, but they were going to cut it for silage. There was some beans also. Last year one guy tried it on a Quarter and this year I think 5 guy's did it on about 1000 acres. I sure would like to try it but I don't farm enough to risk it.

Trackman don't feel So bad it was 113 on the mirror in the pickup and about 60% hummidity on sat.

·
Registered
668 Posts

The only double cropping that goes on here in Tasmania is following processing (green) peas. Peas are harvested in late Nov / early Dec then processing (bush) beans are planted (harvested in April / May). This can be a problem in a wet year.

The other double cropping following processing peas is for winter brassicas (broccoli, cauliflowers, brussels sprouts).

Regards,

TC

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:Planted 27 acres of milo on June 22 after I cut the wheat. That's about 2 weeks later than the regular milo. No-tilled it in right behind the combine...Starting to head out today but man it sure could use some rain.

ks8780

Don't we all?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

The guys who double cropped soybeans into their wheat stubble are lucky since we had timely rains for em. They said they should see 40bu/acre or so....which puts a little extra money in your pocket.

·
Registered
192 Posts

lot of winter wheat is double cropped here but some people are doing relay cropping on pivots with planting the soybeans in growing wheat then getting the wheat off before the soybeans get to tall. plus some guys tried double cropping soybeans after wheat this year but the jury is waiting on that. hey caseihfan where you from?

·
Registered
975 Posts

We don't plant any full season soybeans. All our soybeans are double cropped behind wheat. We have tried full season beans and the double crop beans do just as good if not better. Our wheat usually gets cut around the third week in June till the second week in July. Our beans are no-tilled in the wheat stubble right behind the combine with our 1200 case planter. In fact most of the time the planter finishes up planting about a couple of hours behind the combine.We have a pretty good crop rotation going. The corn is planted in bean stubble after a landsman is run over it. All our wheat is planted after corn in the fall. We rip it and work it down twice after we shred the stalks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts