The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Fire Hazard: John Deere STS Combine

Great!! Add another $100k per machine on to the cost of the next generation Deere..

The AC pump froze up on an old Massey Ferguson 850 on me about 20 years ago and started a smolder behind the cab. I want in on this... Sue them too and send me a check.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I don't know about a law suit but I think they should have a recall. My deere tech told me to get my insurance co. to take care of kit to help prevent fires should be deere's fix.? I had to pay for it out of my pocket.

·
Registered
402 Posts

I sure wonder sometimes. Abilen machine and Mikes is full of late model green machines, what a headache

·
Registered
293 Posts

Wow look an actual ambulance chaser! I'll tell ya what. I run two late model deere combines and have never had one go up in smoke. On top of that all colors burn. Its a part of the business. Maybe you should go practice real law.

Also wheaty75 not to dig at ya, but there will be more fires when you sell more combines. If i recall you run gleaner and i have seen them catch fire and also seen axials burn up too. I guess you see more burning when there are more in the field.

·
Registered
653 Posts

HOOOOOLLLLLYYYY COOOOOW Some people.. Because some people are too erogant to clean off there machines once in a while. And they blame the people that build them.

If you lined up 50 used combines in a row and had the farmer line up in front of them. I could point out what combines are gonna burn down. Lazy lazy lazy

·
Registered
78 Posts

I am not saying you don't have to clean your machine off but there spots where the fires seem to start. Now jd comes with this new air scoop and it is supposed to create and keep better air flow. We did not loose our machine but did burn the fuel tank. When I tried to find a used tank to put on all the machines in salvage yards were burnt.

·
Registered
402 Posts

The people complaining, obviously are JD owners. Just call it like I see it. Lots of friends run JD alot won't never move to the STS for obious reasons. I didn't say they burned JD owners themselves are saying they are burning. I said the salvage yards are full because I have seen them. Agreed the more of something the probability of fire goes up. Surley an insurance company could come up with a percentage of machines burnt and machines produced in a year though. But you have to admit JD has had a problem with this for a long time. And no matter what color like I said it would be a headache.
Just look down on the front page under winchills post on rotor fires. Bondo to fix a fire problem; really

·
Registered
119 Posts

Oh Noes!

My 9850 caught on fire!
If people are going to have a law suit they should at least have the right model numbers.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Notice the lawyer joined the form July 2010 and has 1 post. (probably first and last)
Next month they'll do a class action vs Avandia.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

[email protected], never seen one of those, let alone one of them that burned.

Be careful if you are a "combine chasing" attorney: sometimes those corncobs fly out of the chopper at a high velocity.

·
Administrator
723 Posts

Last time I checked most shops to clean a combine, was a little more than $100... their shop rates per hour are almost that, and that would just begin touching removing the shields.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

If you are a custom cutter you should own a high powered air compressor. Its takes less than 10 mins at the end of the day to clean them down. Problem solved. I haven't had one burn in 10 years of running them.

·
Registered
293 Posts

I don't know a farmer without an air compressor, but lets say you own one of these combines and don't have the means to have a compressor atleast pick up a gas powered leaf blower. All of our trucks have air compressors but we also carry a leaf blower on combine #1 and am planning on getting one on number two.

To the next subject at hand, I hope they sue deere and then deere turns it around for a frivolous lawsuit and they go out of business. I blame lawyers like this for a lot of the problems in america today. I've never heard of a combine magically catching fire without at least a little operator error. This kind of reminds me of how they sued the lawnmower companies over horsepower ratings and now we have to deal with cc standard on lawn mower engines. End Rant.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts

how often do you have to clean them? a fellow up here thrashing peas lost 2 brand new 70 series sts combines with less than 15 hours on both machines. i don't think anyone wants to clean a machine off twice a day. i agree all machines will start on fire but in field peas the Deere sts has everyone beat

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

You're right on that. I just used $100 figuratively, as in saying most farmers are too tight or even arrogant, to spend one dime to PAY someone else to do it. Then, instead of just doing it themselves, they ignore it. That's where laziness comes in.

By the way, I get paid at least $200 for every combine I clean and have not had one dissatisfied customer yet.

Yes, $200 is fair. I go to their farm, use their stuff.

·
Registered
593 Posts

You guys!!! we know there is a problem. And no doubt about it Deere should fix it somehow. As for the lazy part... If you never have a problem with your machines and all of a sudden you have one when you upgrade to a 70 series (in canada there are more issues with the 70 series). there IS A PROBLEM. and there is no arrogance involved. I know a farm in alberta who lost 3 9770s in one day. so something tells me there is a design flaw somewhere.

I was at a combine clinic at our local dealer yesterday. They said they have had a couple of smoldering issues on the cr9080. Why not on the other models, huh? It just so happens that the 9080 has a 13 litre engine where the others have a 9 or 11. There was a dead spot in the airstream on the exhaust manifold that had issues with straw buildup. lazy farmer fault my foot!!! new holland has an update which includes a wind deflector to solve that problem. I am not saying its an air issue on the deere, its probably something simple.

IT READS
Our firm is currently investigating complaints related to the potential fire hazards posed by John Deere STS Combines.

I dont think they thought up of it themselves.

·
Registered
305 Posts

I wouldn't doubt that Deere has a problem with stems wrapping in certain conditions at the end of the rotor, and getting hot. I'd think other brand rotarys would have the same thing going on.
I know that the old Deere 6620's had fires occasionally, but not due to stem wrapping. I had a feederhouse bearing go out and it dropped red hot bearing parts down on the dry cornstalks. If you don't think I was scrambling. I always carry a fully charged large fire extinguisher. I think it would be hard for a combine mfg to prevent all combine fire potentials.

I'd agree with other posters, keep an uptodate fire insurance policy on it, buy another fire extenguisher, maybe two, and attach them to a very accessible area on the combine, to carry along just in case a fire gets out into the crop. Might not hurt to park a tractor and disc near by just in case. It's one thing to burn up a combine, but you dam sure don't want to burn down the unharvested crop along with it (or the neighbor's).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts