The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:
Quote:I guess you wouldn't want to take it down to the Morin bridge crossing.
Exactly Benny and for the operator it could be the last time... for anything!
I want to solve it too. I've become addicted... to breathing.

Don


You shouldn't have to fear for your life driving your combine, that's just wrong.

I'd pick a hill and tell one of them to drive it.

I know how there "Well we've done what we can good luck with it" attitude can be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

That's crazy, and like you said very dangerous.

It happened to me once with our 9650, I remember it well as I was talking on the phone and it caught me off guard. Hasn't happened again but I am seldom on any hill's so I am probably unaware of it.

So maybe no relation to Harvestsmart.

I guess you wouldn't want to take it down to the Morin bridge crossing.

Hope you get this solved, I'll have to ask the dealer here, see if they have ever encountered this.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:I guess you wouldn't want to take it down to the Morin bridge crossing.
Exactly Benny and for the operator it could be the last time... for anything!
I want to solve it too. I've become addicted... to breathing.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Your combines wouldn't happen to be 4wd are they? I have seen this also in all brands and when going front first down a hill/grade with the header on and the 4wd engaged the weight transfer to the front of the machine allows the rear tires to break traction and you free wheel to the bottom.
All the hydro oil goes to the rear wheels which now are turning 50 mph as all the hydro oil is flowing through them and the front wheels "free wheel" so to speak as you crap your pants steering your way to the bottom of the hill.
Found the answer to the problem is to make sure 4wd is turned off before going down a grade and this won't happen
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:
Quote:That's crazy, and like you said very dangerous.
Benny, would you mind telling me just what IS the rest of the story--as in the prelude to this statement?

Actually Combiness I'll take this, it's my fault. When I posted this last night Benny read and replied right away, in the mean time I had deleted it (yes I know I could have edited) to fix a major spelling error or 3 so when Benny replied and I re-posted you end up with 2 threads on exactly the same thing but one doesn't make sense. You've already discovered what this leads too.
I hereby grant you power to go to the John Deere section, roll those 2, HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS? threads together hopefully in order, then delete 1 heading. You and everyone else will than be able to make sense of it.
I will never be bad again!
Thank you.

Don

P.S.

Oh yeah, I knew you had the power already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:Your combines wouldn't happen to be 4wd are they? I have seen this also in all brands and when going front first down a hill/grade with the header on and the 4wd engaged the weight transfer to the front of the machine allows the rear tires to break traction and you free wheel to the bottom.
All the hydro oil goes to the rear wheels which now are turning 50 mph as all the hydro oil is flowing through them and the front wheels "free wheel" so to speak as you crap your pants steering your way to the bottom of the hill.
Found the answer to the problem is to make sure 4wd is turned off before going down a grade and this won't happen



*ehm* *cough* Hopefully not sounding like a Claas sales man, BUT at the latest Agritechnika, Claas was awarded a prize for a system where the oil flow to each wheel is controlled by some computer unit. Kind of like traction control in a car. Not sure if it is already available, but it is out there.

Quote from the DLG, the organisation which runs the show and is responsible for the awards.

Traction monitor for combine harvesters with all-wheel drive

Combines with conventional all-wheel drive can often only work to a limited extent on hillside slopes and less load-bearing soils because on the one hand the torque is too low for rear wheel drive, and on the other hand when slip occurs these wheels tend to race and the wheel with higher traction comes to a stop.

ActiveTrac is a new traction monitor for combine harvesters with all-wheel drive. If slip occurs at a front wheel, the hydraulic oil flow is guided to the rear axle in controlled fashion on the basis of the speed difference via an electro-hydraulic control, and more is distributed to the wheel with the lower torque. Different tyre sizes are programmed into the CEBIS (Claas electronic board information system) so that the target speeds of the individual wheels are available as a function of the driving speed. The advantage of this new drive concept lies in automatic switching-in of the all-wheel drive and the anti-slip control, thus increasing operational reliability of the combine.


The Wanderer
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:Your combines wouldn't happen to be 4wd are they? I have seen this also in all brands and when going front first down a hill/grade with the header on and the 4wd engaged the weight transfer to the front of the machine allows the rear tires to break traction and you free wheel to the bottom.
All the hydro oil goes to the rear wheels which now are turning 50 mph as all the hydro oil is flowing through them and the front wheels "free wheel" so to speak as you crap your pants steering your way to the bottom of the hill.
Found the answer to the problem is to make sure 4wd is turned off before going down a grade and this won't happen

Yes it does have 4WD, yes I know what you mean, but no, that's not it. Have had this discussion with several people from JD.
To transfer enough weight to unload the rear wheels takes a far steeper hill than is required for runaway. And the rear wheels slip backwards which sets up a bucking action at those angles, also exciting the first time. The manual says not to go down hill 4WD engaged but not why. It also freewheels in 2WD in 2nd and 3rd gear(never use 1st)
And just to throw a little icing on the cake this year it developed another strange habit. On level roads in 3rd it normally pulls 40 km/hr, this year sometimes 38, sometimes 35, even as low as 32 (yes hydro handle full forward). Also control is not nearly as linear as with this FBW set-up as compared to a cable. My 97 TX 68 was FBW. I didn't know until some one pointed it out, thought the handle moved easy!
As a friend of mine would say Give me 13 good reasons why you like this set-up.
Hmm. Seem to be 13 short.

Don
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:ActiveTrac is a new traction monitor for combine harvesters with all-wheel drive.
The Wanderer

I have read about this, pretty sophisticated. Automatic traction control. Additionally it appears if no slip detected no speed reduction either. Very clever.
I just wished Deere could get Fly By Wire (FBW) to work properly.
Their about *cough* a light year behind Claas on ATC
Thanks man.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Quote:
Quote:
Benny, would you mind telling me just what IS the rest of the story--as in the prelude to this statement?

Actually Combiness I'll take this, it's my fault. When I posted this last night Benny read and replied right away, in the mean time I had deleted it (yes I know I could have edited) to fix a major spelling error or 3 so when Benny replied and I re-posted you end up with 2 threads on exactly the same thing but one doesn't make sense. You've already discovered what this leads too.
I hereby grant you power to go to the John Deere section, roll those 2, HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS? threads together hopefully in order, then delete 1 heading. You and everyone else will than be able to make sense of it.
I will never be bad again!
Thank you.

Don

P.S.

Oh yeah, I knew you had the power already.



Thanks for clearing the double thread thing up, I thought to myself now that is the ultimate thread hjlacking.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top