The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Haybines or Self Propelled Windrowers

I would go with New Holland they have the best line of hay equipment on the market. I think sickle is better then disk because they cut better and don't just stripp the leaves off the stem it actually cuts the plant. Cheeseheadfarm where in wisconsin are u from

·
Registered
330 Posts

sickle vs. disk:

It totally depends on the crop that you cut:

Alfalfa and other "delicate" crops: Sickle!

Grass and other "green" crops: Disk!

- Peter

·
Registered
521 Posts

I prefer the sickle! My neighbor had a brand new disc implement, and traded it back to the dealer just 2 months after he purchased it...

Around here, anyway, I prefer the sickle for any situation.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I'll take a disk mower anyday over a sickle machine and 90% of our mowing is in alfalfa. The thing you have to watch with a disk mower is that they will still mow with dull blades unlike a sickle mower but when they get dull they won't mow as clean. We usually put new blades on before starting second cutting then turn them when needed, they are too cheap and easy to change to run dull blades. With a properly adjusted disk mower with sharp blades I haven't seen any difference in cut quality with a disk mower compared to a sickle machine and the disk mower is cheaper to run.

·
Registered
74 Posts

i'd hate to have to go back to sickle but had a NH 488 for 25 years .did me great service but went to a JD disc -bine 9.9 ft for 5 years.couldn't believe what a great way to cut hay then went to a case 12ft centre pivet swing tongue. man can u knock hay down with that thing so it's got to be progress with disc-bines. but rocks and them don't get along.gotta keep your head up for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts