The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: how close is your workshop?

Well, if working on the sprayer means blocking the wife's car in the garage then the shop is probably too close to the house.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Take a drive about 50 miles to your north, to see the layout of nice farmsteads about Stevens County, KS. I really loved the way most shops were just offset of the houses, by as close as 75 feet and usually no more than 200' away. I was impressed by the way some had their shops floorplanned as well. Nothing was ever in the way of personal vehicles or the family's recreation areas.

PM me sometime for some contacts who would even let you come visit, get ideas since you're just building from the ground, up.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

That is exactly how my yard is set up. Its just terrible, plus theres no place to turn around unless you drive out into the field. I can't wait til I can either move or burn this house. My yard was designed for the 1960's when everybody had 20 foot cultivators and 40 foot sprayers. And the biggest problem is everything is situated to close to the road, so that expansion involves taking trees out and moving buildings.

Oh well, the price was right.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

my shop is 200 yards from house, its a steel clear span building 60 x 75 lots of room , floor heat, before i built building took into consideraton of semis, my landlord now rents shop, made sure tractor trailers have lots of room, problem being is trying to keep clean and organized, bigger building more junk you collect.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Our shop is shop is about 1500 ft from the house. The pictures were taken off the front porch.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Something to consider. What if you ever want to quit farming for one reason or another (retirement, injury, financial problems)? How would the shop sell best? Here, I can think of one guy that built a nice house on the same parcel as his shop, machine shed, bins, etc. The house detracts from the value of the buildings and vice versa. I would say to put it far enough away that you could parcel it off seperately if needed.

·
Registered
99 Posts

One shop I have is about 125' from the house and the other is probably 200' you must pass my house to get to my shop and have no trouble this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts