The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: JD Self Leveling Sieves

The JD sieves are a quick answer to CIH's self leveling sieves. They look to me like a joke. They are only available in the deep tooth (corn) style. And only the top (chaffer) is self leveling, not the bottom sieve.

·
Registered
144 Posts

They've been working on it for several years. I think they had a working prototype 4-5 years ago. Similar designs haven't been too successful, but maybe Deere got it figured out.

Brandon

·
Registered
378 Posts

Just spent ten minutes perusing the JD website from the link above - Holy dogs balls John Deere could make any improvement made from a direct deficiency sound like its leading edge technology. ICC - attempt to fix issue with lack of seperation area.

I want my combine to come with inbuilt DCS (Debris containment system - fenders),

A.R.S.E -the computer that crashes has self recovering feature (Automatic recovery system enabled)

The cabin must also be fitted with B.O.R.E (Bat Off Rag Equipped - for the green guys that get a bit to excited with the colour of the paint and have to wipe themselves off afterwards.)

JD Martketing - give me a break.

Jono

·
Registered
508 Posts

"Similar designs haven't been too successful, but maybe Deere got it figured out."

The ones on the Case and NH are great. Years ago Deere slamed CNH for their heavy self leveling seives. Now their copying. No surprise.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

They had an exhibit set up at Husker Harvest Days to show how the new self leveler worked. It was a huge joke. You could use a handle to rock the sieves back and forth to simulate hillside action and get them to level out but it was so slow and took so long for the sieves to finally get leveled it was pretty much worthless. In real world conditions you could be down one hill, through a draw, and back up another hill by the time the sieves finally leveled out for the first hill.

·
Registered
144 Posts

CaseNH's design is significantly different as it levels the whole chaffer/shoe as one piece. There was a small outfit that had a design like Deere's in the PNW. I believe they had lots of issues with it. Maybe one of our hillside guys know what I am talking about.

Brandon

·
Registered
18 Posts

They can modify the sieves with an extended preseive that overlaps a chaffer and sell that as a capacity increase, why not another mod to try to make up for a total lack of cleaning area

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

copied off a claas 3d seive nothing new here SLS ina red combine is great. 2399 in brazil has similiar one to this coming out. looks like it blocks off part of a small cleaning area.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts

You can't argue with results tho, its effective as h#ll. They still probably sell the most combines in NA. You can't fight the future forever Jono

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

It's still slow as nuts. I don't care where you are. We farm on reletively flat ground but even so if that self leveling system moves like it did on the display at Husker Harvest Days then I can tell you that it won't keep up even on the terrain that we have. Start adding in terraces, bigger hills, ditches, etc, etc, and you'll see that it won't keep up going through all that no matter what speed you're going. I don't know who is trying to go through draws at 6 mph like some people may think. Even slower speeds require time to adjust the leveling system like that. Especially this joke of a system on the STS's.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Connor, how can you base your entire opinion on a display unit? At the show did someone say this was the exact same speed as the SLS will work in the field. Maybe this was just the way the display worked. Does anyone have any idea how quickly the 3D system or SLS from Case reacts?

·
Registered
809 Posts

I run an CIH 8010 and the leveling system CIH has gone to has worked out very well. It's been trouble free and it works.

The one draw back of the system is that it drops the grain on a pan (not an auger bed) from the concaves. When harvesting down a hill the grain tends to accumulate on this and when you start travelling up the hill it empties off. What this does is throw off your grain monitor that measures yield by measuring more yield traveling up the hills than down them. This is okay with me as I would rather do without an auger bed.

I welcome any competition John Deere can give CIH as our dealer is replacing Deeres with CIH machines.

·
Registered
620 Posts

The Deere system looks fairly complex vs other systems. Lots of extra moving parts, how do they seal each sieve section in the frame work? If there is no actual seal maybe that is why they only offer it in corn version, if used in small grains too much MOG would be in clean grain sample?
Does it bank on a turn on the headland like the others on the market do?

·
Registered
139 Posts

It must work, after all it is from Deere
What ever they come up with is right and the way things should be.

I loved reading Deere's website last year when they introduced the 70 series machines and how they were going to revolutionize harvesting with their color display and auto crop settings, along with that they added a more aggressive shaking system on the shoe of the larger 9870. Funny thing about all of that, is all of those items were out on the 8010 long before the 70 series had them, granted the color screen was new to CIH in 2007 but the rest had been there.

That is my rant and rave on Deere combines.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts