The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: john deere class 9?

I would think that "where is John deeres REAL class 8 hervester?" would be the more appropriate question.....

Jono

·
Registered
745 Posts

-> compare the biggest Deere, whatever it is called to the Claas Lexion 595R/600 or New Holland CR9090...mhh there is more than a class inbetween.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

ill say compare sales between the two and then tell me why they should release a true class 8 yet?

Why make a massive change, when your sales are bigger and bigger every year? people buy deere because of service a reliability...waiting over an hour for cat/lexion to showup with a service truck is unacceptable, i can call deere and they'll be in our field in 10minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts

Everytime we get a demo our Deeres seem to be a decent class 8. We put a 8010 against our 9860 and they were even. 9860 vs 590R, Cat was definitely bigger living up to its class 9 label and the same thing when we our 9870 vs a 9120. But there is very little difference between a 9770 & 9870, but if you can't run a Deere beside other similar class machines you don't know how to set it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

The true test for Deere is to run the 9870 in corn that is where they will not keep up

·
Registered
894 Posts

...as well as any other crop that causes it to rumble and romp! Every time an STS romps, it takes a big gulp of fuel and plops out a wad of grain with whatever caused it to romp. That, and too short a cleaning system (overall grain loss), are the main reasons I gave up on the STS concept.

·
Registered
85 Posts

You guys are comparing a class 8 to a class 9, well no $#!% there is going to be difference. I think the true test for a combine is in small grains like wheat. All the combines are going to do about the same in corn and in beans. I don't get were you guys are get the test in corn when you combine corn there is nothing but cobs going through the machine in corn.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts

I have heard time and time again on this forum that high speed in corn leads to cob loss, so that definitely brings the machines a little closer speed wise, unless you start into 16-18 row heads

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

we run anywhere from 4.5mph in 250+bu corn to 6mph in 170bu corn and have very little loss...well within the industry acceptable 1%. An sts does chew wet corn a little more than our 9600 did, but thats when you just opent he concave a little more and bump the rotor speed.

I think deere reccomends 300-400rpm for corn wet/dry and we were running around 470 and it worked great, opened the concaves to 21 and let the natural centrigual force work its magic.

·
Registered
894 Posts

10 mins is BS!!!

1-2 hours is a perfectly acceptable amount of time to wait. You aren't the only one out there you know.

you're missing the point if you push that sales stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts

10 mins is definately BS

My guess is that half of farmers live more than 10 min from the dealer. it takes more time than that for us to get to a dealer of any color.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'm still wondering about this class size. No one seems to able to tell me what "class" actually is. Is this a regulated standard? If so who's in charge? I don't disagree some machines are more productive than others but maybe we need to measure productivity. Why talk class size if the designation is unregulated and undefined, what weight does this classification hold? From what I can tell all manufacturers go up a class size when they release a machine that has more HP than the previous model (ie. CR9070 ("class 8") to CR9080 ("class 9")). So why does a 9860 ("class 8") not go up a class when they added HP to it (9870)? Was the 9860 only a class 7, is the 9870 now a class 8?
And if class size is only a reflection of HP shouldn't the weight of the machine, and how efficiently that machine uses the HP also be part of the equation (given that an inefficient, heavy machine would require more HP just to propel it in the field). HP doesn't neccesarily reflect productivity. Older conventional machine could have all the HP in the world but were still limited by walker loss in many situations.
I would love for someone to shed some light on this issue. Currently class size seems to be nothing more than a clever marketing spin that doesn't accuretly reflect true machine productivity between manufacturers. How can anyone possibly use this to measure a machines capability?

·
Registered
504 Posts

I really don't want to have the service guys here within 10 minutes of me calling. Makes me wonder if they are just waiting on their junk to break down. Takes longer than 10 minutes to pull parts to head out on a service call unless they keep their truck stocked. But if they keep their truck stocked with commonly broken parts then it really makes me believe that its a known problem and the only way they know how to fix it is to throw new parts at it instead of actually solving the problem.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts