The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Killing 2388

Sounds like your rotor is plugged.

Put the rotor gear box in neutral and try it again. If it still kills the engine, then it is time to start looking around to see which belts get really tight when you engage it.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

I'd still put it in neutral and see what happens so you can eliminate all other possibilities. Then if it is the rotor for sure, you can shut the machine down and put in neutral then take a bar and see if you can sping the rotor easily or if it is tight. Depending on what you are combining, material can wrap on the front rotor bearing if the anti-wrap devise is worn.

Now for my 1680, if the rotor speed is up around 800 or higher, it will near kill the engine at that low of engine rpms. That means the accumulator on the wet clutch and other mechanisms involved in enguaging the clutch are functioning proper. You did'nt say wether your 2388 is wet clutch or pully arm enguage. Either way, the seperator is suppose to engage suddenly and without slippage.

·
Registered
137 Posts

How fast are you running the rotor? As mentioned by doorknob, what year is your machine, do you have a wet clutch? If you have the pulley engagement there is a orifice fitting to go in the cylinder port on the rod end of the cylinder to slow the engagement down, actually lets it slip just enough to not kill the engine. good luck.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Quote:yup, rotor spins very easily with pry bar and acts like neutral. Bushings and bearings at cam on end of rotor are possible problems. Thoughts?

No, I dont think so on the bushings and cam. If the oil is cold in the gearbox when you engaged the seperator with the rotor in neutral, it can turn a well balanced and free rotor. When the rotor is in neutral, the input shaft on into the rotor geabox still spins. The oil when cold or cool can transmitt a small amount of power to turn a free spinning rotor.

It's starting to sound like you really dont have the problem you thought you did, just that for some reason things are acting differently than the other day. It sounds like things are working good now. Try a few more engine rpms when you engage the seperator. Say 1150 or so and see what happens, or just for your own knowledge, slow the rotor to about 600 and see if still allmost kills the engine. If anything, it may be the engine that needs attention,not the seperator.

A 98' machine is a wet clutch. In my 1680 I switched from my usual Unical tractor hydraulic fluid to the Hy-tran for clutch disk protection reasons. If you have access to a small gallonage flow meter and pressure guage, you can perform a simple test on the clutch engage pump and system. See if your local dealer will print off a page of the service manual that shows the test procedure. It does take a smaller flow meter than a tractor or other ag equipment flows. 0 to 5gpm is a good one and a low pressure guage, up to 500psi or 1000psi max so you can still read the guages pressures properly as it will be in the 200 to 250 range for the test. Also make sure the accumulator on the engage system is still at the right pressure. The bladders in those accumulators can go bad. I think 100 to 110 psi nitrogen is what it requires, but double check that before you take it as fact.

Good luck, hope things go well for harvest.

·
Registered
34 Posts

off memory accumulator pressure is 70 psi. engine idle should be 1150 rpm. rotor speeds at the higher end will cause engine to bog down when engaging. had a machine a few years back that would stall engine if engaged with feeder raised but ok if lowered. could never work out why!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts