The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Lets see who the hardcore NH combine guys are

We ran a NH Clayson 1520 fo almost 25 years, from 1980 till 2005. Small, low capasity machine, but she served us well. The main reason for owning a combine in my part of the world is for harvesting alfalfa seed. We harvest from flood irrigated fields, or beds, with lots of bed-walls to cross. This fact were many days the make or break of many combines, especially the earlier models. In this regard the 1520 never let us down. But there was one thing that combine could'nt resist - a waterpump breakdown at 14h00 on a scorching summers day. And because the fan was running very close to the radiator, you were stuck not only with a broken waterpump, but a radiator and fan as well. That was the part I hated with a passion; sitting on top of a hot combine, on a hot hot day and trying to remove hot engine parts.
Since I bought myself a new swather, and started double swathing, I was forced to look at something bigger.
Stuck to NH, and was very fortunate to come across a very neat TR 86.

·
Registered
998 Posts

I'm no hardcore New Holland fan Sam, but around here there were quite a lot of NH Clayson 8060 straw walker machines with the Mercedes engine. There are still a handfull around that are still being used. Not too bad a machine except for all the moving parts.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

They always used to say if you want a good sample in the tank and nothing on the floor run a Clayson/NH, and if you want output run a Claas.

·
Registered
664 Posts

when i was little we bought a tr70, and another tr70 which was farmer upgraded to be a tr80 (?) and then we traded both for a tr 86 and then traded the 86 for a 98 and have had it since it came off one wheat harvest summer.

trying to talk dad into a cr960 or 9060 now, but he is not interested

·
Registered
144 Posts

I was pretty young but I remember we had a red 995 in the early 70's. Ran it beside a 510 MF. I remember it had no heater so my grandpa darn near froze if it was a late harvest into October. We could deflate the tires and drive it into our quonset shed that's how small it was. Of course nobody thought back then to take pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts

TR 70 1977-1991 Purchased new.
TR 86 1992-2004 Purchased used 2 years.
TR 99 2005-present. Purchased used 4 years.

All three have been great combines. Many improvements between the TR 70 and the TR 86. TR 99 is another big step up. I never saw a New Holland Combine before we purchased the TR 70. A local dealer started selling them and Dad bought the first one. I was only farming 40 acres at the time and used his equipment for farming. Dad retired in the fall of 1978 and my brother and I started farming together with 280 acres.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I have run a 995 and a 1500. We had several variations of those machines starting in early 80s. Had 2 995s at one point. One diesel, one gas. Grandpa bought a 1500 in 1989 and sold the gas 995. and I spent many hours running that machine in Creeping Red Fescue, Barley, Canola and Wheat when I was old enough to start operating. 3208 cat, smoothest running engine I have ever heard, so de-tuned from max power that it would probably run for ever. Diesel 995 was parked when we bought our first rotary in 1996 (82 1460). When we bought the first 1480 in 2000, it was the 1460 that went our the door, not the old trusty 1500. 1500 was a great machine, as long as it would thresh the seed it could clean it since the sieves on it were huge, so just run it until the cylinder couldn't take anymore seed. 1500 combined it's last harvest 2 seasons ago when the sieves shook themselves to pieces. It would have been a huge job to replace everything, and there was a great deal on a 1480 at an auction that fall, so the last of our NH conventionals took its place as a lawn ornament. There are pictures of it on it's last harvest in the photo section, just search for the post I made of pictures.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Not quite.
TR's went 70/75/85/95...
No TR 80.
I don't think they ever built a TR 76 either.

Don

im confused as to what you are arguing? the second 70 was a farmer built upgrade. i think dad and another guy upgraded the clean grain and the bubble up auger and some other minor issues. that combine was still roaming the kansas country side last i knew.

and never did i mention a 76..... were u hammered? i said 86... lol

·
Registered
998 Posts

im confused as to what you are arguing? the second 70 was a farmer built upgrade. i think dad and another guy upgraded the clean grain and the bubble up auger and some other minor issues. that combine was still roaming the kansas country side last i knew.

and never did i mention a 76..... were u hammered? i said 86... lol

Did you actually read the original topic? Topic of conversation was what people ran before the TR's, not what TR's have you run.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts

Not arguing anything.
Just stating facts.
You had questioned the possibly of a TR 80, there wasn't.
I realize now the TR 75/TR 85/TR 95 lead to the TR76/TR 86/TR/96.
I thought last night that they had never marketed a TR 76.
I since found out they indeed did market a TR 76.
I just mentioned it thinking someone else would know.
But I didn't have to be hammered to make that mistake.
I just had to be wrong.

Don

·
Registered
539 Posts

I had a 985 gas and there were lots of the old red nhs here. Capacity in tough straw and could thresh is what sold them here. A big thing from the red to the yellow was the yellow had a oppossing shoe, meaning the sieves worked oppisite as to parrellel on the red. The red ones would spear straw in the sieves. In their time they also had more power. Once the hours piled up unless they were well looked after they were hard to keep running. The 985 would break the rear walker crank often, there was a heavier update but it was no better. The success of the old walker combines sold lots of trs here. People still keep a 1500 around for small seed. A big drawback was no torque sensing cylinder drive. Back when i ran my 985 i combined with dads super 92 (60 bushels) uncles 510 (75) and i filled 110 bushel hopper first. Parts were pricey, straw walker failer common. The 980 had greasable walker bearings, the 85 did not. The 980 had a 60 bushel hopper, way to small. A big problem was the short feeder house, the cab window was right over the header auger and was always dirty. But in in the wee hours in the morning any stray headlights were usualy another nh, all else went home. Drives were way to complicated and not easy to fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have nevere run a TR, pretty few were sold here mainly because the early ones didn´t work so very well with all the straw we have here. IH sold a few rotor combines here but not with a huge succes, just the last 10 years rotor combines have taken marketshares here. So I have driven Clayson M103, Clayson NH 1540, NH 8070, TX66 Plus and CS540 all with straw walkers. Guess these early Clayson models like M80, M103, M130 or M140 Armade never were sold in North America . M140 was a pretty big combine in the 60´s you could have up 20´header and it had 5 straw walkers

·
Registered
436 Posts

New Holland Conventionals were junk in the 1400, 1500 years. A guy in our area demoed one and the grain pan fell right out of it in the field. Have a Tx 66 now, good combine but a lot of moving parts.

·
Registered
637 Posts

Long time ago we used to use a john deer 95. When my parents started to take on more land and my brother got some land also....my dad had bought a old german model 630 john deer. When the feeder chain piled up on it, he traded it on a used 4 year old TR 70. We still have the 70 today and I want to fix it up as it is a good second unit. Back about 15 years now we found a good used 1500 at an auction and bought it. It was a great combine and could run all over the tr 70. Not nearly as clean a sample though. We still have that machine to but its pretty much had its days as it is rusted out ( No machine shed still) and the walker bearing are shot.... then shieves where replaced once and are shot again. I welded it up as much as I could to keep running but its all cracked and broken. Its to bad. its a geat combine!!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Never heard off any 1400 models but the 1500 models are they the 1520-1550? If it is so I can say that they are extremely good and those with the M103 - M140 models (Claeys) that made NH reputation as a high quality and performance brand as it is today. If you compare a TX66 with a 1540 you can absolutely see the heritage. Sure some big improvements are made. TX66 is a pretty weak model thats why the very quickly upgraded it to TX66 Plus wich is a far better model.

·
Registered
57 Posts

hmm is it Cat engines in them? Got to check that up. I know that the plus version have a stronger engine wich might give them lower fuel consumption the non plus version had to work real hard. but what brand it is I dont know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.