The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: New Bullet folding auger?

You are in luck Sam. I found this picture on TractorHouse. Look at those mean front tires.

·
Registered
722 Posts

The wide rubber looks good to me.
I'd put a set of wide but smaller diameter ones on the back end to match the front.
Wonder how much a set of those are worth?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:Wonder how much a set of those are worth?
Probably a good chunk of change.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:I know this auger is optional. On these new STS. How come you don't see this on these new combines. They give trouble or most farmers don't want to mess with them.

I have yet seen a pic of a real one with it. Only in brochures or toy form.

Primarily because it is a $4056 premium over the non-folding auger. It's a gadget!!! Actually, it's a marketing tool. Whenever Deere finds out who orders this option, they file them under the "SUCKER" file, as those who will buy anything with green and yellow paint.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:The wide rubber looks good to me.
I'd put a set of wide but smaller diameter ones on the back end to match the front.

...and you'll lose those fat rear tires, hubs and all, in the first field you try them out in too.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Primarily because it is a $4056 premium over the non-folding auger. It's a gadget!!! Actually, it's a marketing tool. Whenever Deere finds out who orders this option, they file them under the "SUCKER" file, as those who will buy anything with green and yellow paint. [/quote

Muddy, the customers want to move there combines without the auger out so far, for transportation, storage and anything to make it shorter, like cessnaguy and deltafarmer said. Also there is a separate switch on the armrest to make it fold in or out, it's not the unloading auger swing out switch. We have a few customers that have them and use it for those reasons. They say it's worth the money for it.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Primarily because it is a $4056 premium over the non-folding auger. It's a gadget!!! Actually, it's a marketing tool. Whenever Deere finds out who orders this option, they file them under the "SUCKER" file, as those who will buy anything with green and yellow paint. [/quote

Muddy, the customers want to move there combines without the auger out so far, for transportation, storage and anything to make it shorter, like cessnaguy and deltafarmer said. Also there is a separate switch on the armrest to make it fold in or out, it's not the unloading auger swing out switch. We have a few customers that have them and use it for those reasons. They say it's worth the money for it.

I know what its purpose is, however, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would pay a 300% price increase for a feature enhancement / convenience item. It's not the price, but the logic behind the price and the buyers rational for wanting to spend that much money. Good business senses tells you that when a nominal change or enhancement causes the price to double or even triple that it is an impulse or emotional buy, not a practical one according to logic.

·
Registered
530 Posts

I cant seehow th clearence is needed unless your backing it into a short shed. When these rigs are fitted with even a 30 ft header the auger wont swing any wider that your swath so why worry. The larger head the more clearence when making turns around obstacles. I think the added weight on that end is going to cause problems especially in rought ground conditions which seems to be the only kind of ground conditions I see these days.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Any convince item is not mass produced, only a few want it, this is something some customers ask for, if it was standard equipment they can make it for less because they can offset the cost of development and production because they make more of it, this is the same as any option that only a few want. It applies to everything. Like power rear view mirrors. It applies to cars, TV's, your computer that you are using, anything. Some customers only have a small space of room for that equipment and this can help them.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

If you want the storage space problem solved, just drive the first combine in facing the back of the shed so the feeder house is facing the back then back the other combine in so the augers are on opposite sides and still the same length. [=L7=] if that makes sense

[ header
= combine
L 7 unloading augers

Clear as mud?

I think if someone only has a 25 foot shed but the combine is 32 feet long with the unload auger it would be cheaper for the $4065 upgrade over the $40,650 upgrade needed for a new shed that is only 7 feet longer... I see the justification of it, if you don't fine, state your point and leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

I suspect that all JD machines built for export via ship have the folding auger. I'd guess that deck space on a ship is expensive, so having the folding auger reduces the square footage required by each machine.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Looks like a good place to spill some more grain and snap your auger off. What a waste of money.

·
Registered
722 Posts

It's interesting how some see the positive side of things and some see the negative.
A advantage that I see is for a more compact machine. Two combines nose to tail on a trailer and off season storage would be good reasons for the fold.

Hey Muddy, those wide meat lugs look much better than the skimpy narrow ones that Johnstons run on their CIH machines.
No need to dual up with the wide ones.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I like the folding auger for road transport and moving things around the shop yard and backing up in close situations. But it looks like it needs a brace or something for support so it doesn't bounce around so much that it bends it or snaps it off.

Quote:Looks like a good place to spill some more grain and snap your auger off. What a waste of money.
Don't they have way to keep them from wrapping all the way around when harvesting so it doesn't lose any grain?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:those wide meat lugs look much better than the skimpy narrow ones that Johnsons run on their CIH machines.
I disagree, I like narrow singles (Around 24.5-32) better than fat ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts

The auger is for europe. Road regulations has a rule about overhang and to get within this limit the auger on a sts must fold behind the machine.
I don't know if the rule is in effect yet but I here that all the other companies have to make something like it. I have seen a Newholland Cr with it.

So overhere it's not for suckers it's the law

·
Registered
504 Posts

Quote:
Quote:The wide rubber looks good to me.

...and you'll lose those fat rear tires, hubs and all, in the first field you try them out in too.

Why's that? Build a better rear axle and you won't have any problems with wider tires. 28L26 is the absolte smallest tire I would put on the rear unless you need it for row cropping. I run 67X25 on mine with 710 metric duals on the front and it just floats on water.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts