The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: new combine pic

Looks fantastic. Maybe I can lease one from a dealer and compare it to the Ol' 2388's best years. Any Price indication yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts

my sales man did some adding up and its and extra 12,500 difference from a 9660 to a 9670. thats freaking nuts, i think we'll stay with the old 9860 eh

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

nothing wrong with a 50/60 series, amazing how a new decal, some very MINOR improvements cost so much anymore for a machine that sits in your toolshed 9-10 months out of the year depreciating in value.

What i dont get is the 9000 series was made for what 11 years with minor improvements until the 10 series....now new series are coming out every 3-4 years....great marketing on JD's behalf to make it seem like its got a whole bunch of new stuff you NEED.

And this is no color war, we're all green as well....just amazing how advertising has changed

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ebert, the 9000 Series was introduced in 1989. They were run all the way through 1997. They were the original Maximizers. Yes, go back and read some older sales literature or magazine ads. That's only 8 years. The 10 Series debuted in 1988 and ended just after 2000. Since the 10's were the only ones with any actual decals to designate them "Maximizers," many people think that they are the only "true Max's." Wrong. They're ALL Maximizers. However, the combined periods of the 00's and 10's do add up to your figure of 11 years.

Again, it was a selling gimmick. All Maximizers improved and had minor changes over the years, as did the former Titans. Those Titans went through much the same marketing plan as the Maximizers. They were always 20 Series no matter what, and yes, were ALWAYS called Titans, label or not. However, in 1985, in addition to the normal round of changes/improvements, the cab tops went from yellow to green and the new decals called them Titan II's. That's again where a few believed ony THEY were "real Titans." Really? If that was the case, then why the number "II?"

I guess Deere could have been more positive had those 10 Series decals read "Maximizer II" as well.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:All combines and tractors get upgrades over the years. Some get new model numbers and some don't. These are the Bullet IIs if you would call them. That is my term for them.

Nice looking combine. Only thing I am disappointed is they have no true difference in them. The 96-98 is all the same combine. Just price tag, model number, and few components seperates them. I was hoping for a difference you can see. And I was wanting a 330-350 bushel bin on the 98s to match the competitors in size. To me bin size is what really separates them in sizes. Not just HP and few odds stuff. You can put them on yourself later and get the same results.

Same could be said for the N7 and R75. Or maybe the 2188 to the 2588. What was the difference between those two. I can't see any difference other then decals but farmers didn't have a problem buying them. Same thing with the gleaners. I can't see any difference between the N7 and R75 other then the cab. But I'm sure there is alot of improvements made the warrented the change in model number each time. Seems like JD is held to higher standards by the media.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have one coming next year to replace my '06 9760, suppose to be dampers on the shaker pulleys, larger sieve area, larger clean grain elevator, more aggressive shaker action, 40 more hp.

·
Registered
578 Posts

i looked at one just like it in plainview at ray lee. only thing i saw wrong with it, is it wasnt mine-------and paid for

·
Registered
148 Posts

Our 9870 just came in for us to use this fall and there are many changes compared to a 9860. We ran a 12 row 30inch harvest-tech chopping corn head on a 9860 and the combine was broke down every other day. 9860 couldn't lift the head or drive the head. I put some some pictures of the combine on here after they put our tires on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts

we just got our new 9870 machine the other day and at this it looks like good improvements to me. Hoping to start on corn this coming wed. so time will tell. We will be running an 07 9860 as well so be easy to compare.

·
Registered
293 Posts

For those in the Kansas area there is a brand new 9870 at the Kansas State Fair. Saw it today. Nice looking machine. I would say besides the line for Pronto Pups, the line to climb into the cab of the 9870 was easy the 2nd biggest!!! I never saw it under 20 people waiting to climb in.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

I heard $316,000 list on the one at the Kansas State fair, and thats no RWA. The 12 row corn head was another $67,000, without the under roll choppers. Add what, $60,000? for a 935F with a Crary air reel? That makes $443,000. How many semi's will it take for a 15 mile round trip to the elevator in corn, will 5 do it?

Around here, a big combine (no attachments) has always cost about the same as a good 1/4 section of dryland farmland. Even with the 9870, this is still true.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts