The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: new swather pics

Nice swather. Never ran one but always seemed like they'd be a cool machine to run. Can you run faster then a pull type? One guy in my area has a 20ft pull type and he can cut hay in a hurry.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:we tried deere discbine, hesstons discbine and new hollands. the new holland only trailed behind the fastest discbine by around 1mph. we were amazed with it, it goes through good hay @ 6.8-7.4 mph. i couldnt justify the cost difference only to gain one mph. and sickles are cheaper, easier to work on. discbine didnt really cut clean like a sickle does either, we put up 1200 acres of prairie also and they tend not to like dry grass.

Speed:
Really?? Hmmmmmmm.... The tractor driven moco's that I know of move considerably faster than that - would have thought that was the same case with the self propelled discbines...

Dry grass:
You're right on that one: Low yielding dry grass is not the disc's favorite...

- Peter

·
Registered
330 Posts

I'm with farmerjd2002 on this one - when a trailed moco (or farmerjd2002´s neighbough...) can work at 12 mph, it shouldn't be impossible for a SP to do the same (unless the drive train sets the limit, offcause...)

- Peter

·
Registered
41 Posts

Too bad you don't have a Krone dealer nearby. I ran both a Big M and a Big M II this summer and 30 feet at 11 mph is sure movin. the only thing i didn't like about them is the fact that over 60% of your cutting width is behind the front axle and its 15 feet from you to the edge of the head so if you start leaving a skip, it gets bigger before it gets smaller because of the rear wheel steer. Other that that, can't beat it!

·
Registered
588 Posts

We used to ALWAYS cut hay at 14 mph with a JD 1360 mo co, these first ones had a Kuhn cutter bar I believe. Pulled is with a 7810 (strong one too ~175hp) and would make it work in a god crop of hay. Had to replace the knives ($~30-40 for entire machine, 10') every...I can't seem to remember since I seldom changed them, 1000 acres probably.
To run that fast I'm sure you had to have the flail type conditioner in it, rolls would not keep up.
I tried a NH sp 5 years ago, model 340 I believe? Problem with it was in heavy hay and over 8 mph the load would stall the cutter head as is was driven by an large orbit motor that was clearly not up to the task for what I wanted. Have they inproved that?
Road speed also was slow, ~16mph if I remember correctly.
The only thing I disliked on our 1360 was making 'lands', however the GPS stuff we have now would make that problem a thing of the past.
Still have the mower, I am out of the hay business though. If every piece of machinery was as economical and dependable as that thing was, life would be easier.

·
Registered
336 Posts

why a sp swather rather than a tripple gang moco from claas or kuhn, or one of the other european mfg´s on a tractor with a 3 point up front too you grt to use the tractor year around and the capacity is unsurpassed unless you go for a claas cougar or a big M

Bo

·
Registered
39 Posts

IMHO, i would rather have 2 SP swathers.. yes, i am aware of the fact a Big M 2 can outcut 2 sickle machines.. but, for several reasons, 1. if you break down with the big M, your broke down., with 2 SP's, you have at least one running.. 2, doing custom work, alot of the farmers dont smooth their fields or plant them correctly in alfalfa, and running at 6 MPH is rough enough.. i dont want to think about 9+mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts