The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: ???? on an older AFS yield monitor

128mb is too big. You need like a 16mb card i think to log data. They will not work till you put in the proper card. I had the 16mb cards in my old AFS in my 2188. If you put a bigger card in it like a 32 mb it would lock up.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Well, Some many questions here.

Which monitor do you have?

What software was it running?

Then I can tell you the max you can go, to ail your problem now, sounds as if it needs to be reinstalled with firmware if it does not work.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Ahhh you have the older "black box"?

I remember something about that. You do not have anything after the 6.02?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Those old black box monitors need an SRAM card, not a PCMCIA card. They look the same, but they do not work the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I have one of those "older" new to me monitors. It's in a 1998 2366. I harvested all of my corn to only find out on the last day that I do not have any map data. I would copy memory to the card at the end of each day, somtimes half way through the day. My local expert (AgLeader, CaseIH AFS guy) now tells me to not copy to memory to the card. Just to leave it in the monitor all day. Take it home every night and download the data into my older laptop and email him the data for later map printing.

The first card he sent me did the same thing you described, put lines all across the screen. He said the card was too big in mb. Maybe the first card I put in did something to the memory to card process??? He's told me that when I copy memory to the card every time, it is "overloading" the card and overwriting all the previous data.

Now then, 10 years or so from now when I "trade up" again, will I have problems with the current yield monitors?

I was really looking forward the some fancy colorful corn yield maps this year. Maybe the beans will map. Even though the beans may only make about 20 bu/ac. Very dry year. Could be worst, some of my neighbors won't even run their combines in their bean fields-they have all double crop beans.

One other thing, my expert says the cards use to cost about $300 each. Is that true? He gave me three since no one else uses the cards anymore. I send (or was going too) my data to him since his business pays for the SMS software. I think it's $600 or $800 to buy and about $100 a year to keep.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

When those cards were new, they probably were close to $300, maybe more. The price of memory has come down a lot in the years since that monitor was created.

-Lance

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:I have one of those "older" new to me monitors. It's in a 1998 2366. I harvested all of my corn to only find out on the last day that I do not have any map data. I would copy memory to the card at the end of each day, somtimes half way through the day. My local expert (AgLeader, CaseIH AFS guy) now tells me to not copy to memory to the card. Just to leave it in the monitor all day. Take it home every night and download the data into my older laptop and email him the data for later map printing.

The first card he sent me did the same thing you described, put lines all across the screen. He said the card was too big in mb. Maybe the first card I put in did something to the memory to card process??? He's told me that when I copy memory to the card every time, it is "overloading" the card and overwriting all the previous data.

Now then, 10 years or so from now when I "trade up" again, will I have problems with the current yield monitors?

I was really looking forward the some fancy colorful corn yield maps this year. Maybe the beans will map. Even though the beans may only make about 20 bu/ac. Very dry year. Could be worst, some of my neighbors won't even run their combines in their bean fields-they have all double crop beans.

One other thing, my expert says the cards use to cost about $300 each. Is that true? He gave me three since no one else uses the cards anymore. I send (or was going too) my data to him since his business pays for the SMS software. I think it's $600 or $800 to buy and about $100 a year to keep.

I am sorry, I need to reply to this...

I sometimes wonder why people "hope they are mapping" some I can understand, I.E. you have no card reader. But you said you have an "older" laptop to email you FS guy the data. Well, that being said take it one step further check it yourself daily and see if it is mapping.

I can honestly say that some (not specifically you) should make sure your data is coming in. You do this once a year, why not make sure it is working, versus hoping it is?

The card price not even close.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

We've been using 1MB cards, and got a 2MB card this year as well. I'm not sure what the limit is (and probably changes with software versions), but 16MB might be too much.

-Lance

·
Registered
25 Posts

Keep in mind that on those old "black box" monitors there is an internal battery on them for their memory. If the monitor displays stuff that doesn't make any sense, the battery may very well need replaced. When these units were new, CaseIH said the batteries should be good for about 10 years of life. Guess what-most of these monitors are 10 years old or better. As I recall, it was kind of a spendy battery($20-30, can't remember anymore). Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts