The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Pics from our canola-harvest 2007

How do you like the BIOS setup for cutting canola. I am interested in straight cutting canola, these wet falls and more acres are making it more challanging for canola, not to mention a shortage of help. Do you lose any to wind if it gets real gusty out?

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts

Quote:
Great looking canola crop.
5 t/ha?
6 m header?
Would have been a good load for the CR960.

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts

Quote: Do you lose any to wind if it gets real gusty out?
Great question. Note the density of that stand. Maybe they don't get those big winds?
cornmax probably doesn't have the maturity issues we would.

Don

·
Registered
100 Posts

I think there is not a big difference in losses between straight cutting or swathing /threshing the canola 2 weeks later.
In most of the years you have shattering, because it is hard to combine the canola under perfect conditions. In such a 90 bushel crop you have pods breaking when you thouch them with your fingertips, while one third of the podding is stil green.
But on the other hand, farmers in Europe are not used to swath any kind of crop exept gras seed, and so they don't swath canola either. The main reason for that are the weather. Conola is harvested in mid July, but we have lot's of rain during the summer, especially this summer. So the windrows would sit in the rain for maybe 3 weeks, with rain every day. But while the podds are wet, you don't have big losses from shattering.
And such a heave canola crop has different stalks, they can get up to 3/4" in diameter above the ground, and so it's cut about 1 feet above the ground, so it runs easier thru the combine. If you would swath it this high above the ground, it could start rolling very easy, if there are winds.

Just my two cents..

·
Registered
100 Posts

Yes, both has advantages and disadvantages. It's more a thing what people are used to do, especially in the farming bussinss.
Here in Europe we don't have to spray the canola with roundup/Liberty when it get straightcut. And on the other hand, no one would buy a swather and use it just 40hrs a year.

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts

Quote: no one would buy a swather and use it just 40hrs a year.
Point taken. We put on about 100 hours a year, but still...

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts

Quote:I think there is not a big difference in losses between straight cutting or swathing /threshing the canola 2 weeks later.
Yes, only it's the other way around for me. Swath, thresh 1-2 weeks later or straight cut a month later than swath.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts