The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Powercast or spreader

If you're running a draper (36) in small grains I would reccomend the powercast, the power cast seems to throw the residue better out to 36ft than the spreader would. If it's only a 30ft head I wouldn't worry about the powercast.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I thought we were getting a powercast on our 98 but we ended up with just the deluxe chopper. It was more than enough-nothing but dust came out the back. We put through 36 ft. It did take a fair bit of power though.

·
Registered
130 Posts

The standard chopper will spead the chaff and straw but it wont spread the grain loss more than about 15 feet

·
Registered
144 Posts

Well of course, that way we can skip the drill. Even with that much grain loss, we're still saving money.

·
Registered
130 Posts

the problem with the strip of volunteer is when it sprouts and is sprayed in notill it becomes a strip of residue the rest of the field does not have. also it increases the chance of disease

·
Registered
8 Posts

We run a 9760 with a 35' platform, and in soybeans or milo it does a fine job of spreading the residue without the powercast spreader. It was a $4K+ option when we ordered our machine last spring. Glad we didn't get it.

I've never cut wheat with this machine, but I think if it will sling milo fodder 35 feet, it would surely blow wheat fodder out just as well...

JMHO...

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts

Russ,

There is no comparison between the 9760 and the 2388 it replaced. The red one was a total nightmare from day one, and the green one was an absolute pleasure to run. In corn I'd say we increased capacity by at least 30%, even though we ran 8 row heads on both machines. In beans, we at least doubled our capacity. We went from a 25' 1020 on the 2388 to a 635F on the 9760, which has a lot to do with it, but the main factor is feeding capacity. Where we would have had the throat totally plugged and be digging on it with a screwdriver and a cutting torch, the Deere would just sail through them. Case IH has a serious problem with feeding capacity, and haven't changed a thing since the 1480's were new. The shear horsepower of the Deere over the red one is night and day. Even the hydrostat seems to be 3 times more powerful than the red one. There's no hydraulic whine like the 2388 we had, just full on GO...

The one thing I liked better when we had a red one was the corn head. I'm a firm believer that the 2208 Head is a much better outfit than the 893 deere. The 893 really struggles in downed corn, whereas the 2208 could get under it just fine without balling up all the time. If we had any more downed corn than what we did, we would have had to put a corn reel on the 893. Also, I saw a lot of ear bounce on the 893 that I never saw with the 2208.

Good luck with your new combine, Russ. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts