The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Snell Harvesting

Isn't that who Alex 'hated' working for?

I suppose it is all down to your own personal opinion

God bless,

- Gordon

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Quote:I work in the same area as snell, I have talked to many of his hired help. I don't know how the pay is but from what they say working for him is no vacation!

My sentiments exactly... again personal opinion, but don't take my word for it

·
Registered
136 Posts

I work in the same area as snell, I have talked to many of his hired help. I don't know how the pay is but from what they say working for him is no vacation!

·
Registered
81 Posts

I've run into a few guys that worked for Snell at various elevators. I don't think working for him is any different that working for anyone else.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Like is said previously it is a matter of personal opinion!

God bless,

- Gordon

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Quote:i was told he may sound nice but he treats you like crap. i wont tell my source

I've heard much the same from 2 VERY RELIABLE sources. I would not even waste time calling the jerk. to think, such idiots have to pitch work on a harvest run as though it is going to be a type of nice summer vacation. NOT!

·
Registered
289 Posts

In 2001 we had a guy working for us in fall, that was just fired by Snell for supposibly being no good. He was A1 for us and told a lot of stunning stories about Snell of course.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

That's really so sad, Ralf. There are really a whole lot of smart, able and very enthusiastic people out there who would give their right arm just to go on a harvest run, and they really strive to do their best. Then there's the dirty, low-down S.O.B's who only will take advantage of such and cheat them of their pay--and say such are never good enough.

Seriously, I do blame the darn farmers who just hire such "combiners" in the first place.
Sure, they may do a decent job of bringing in their crop, but at what real cost to the public? After all, with plenty of competition, there are plenty of combiners out there who WILL DO just as good, if not even a better job, and also treat their employees well as well as act decently in public! It's like choosing what store to buy from. Wal Mart gives us good prices [but nothing really to scream over] but all the while pay very low wages, fire employees at the tip of a hat, and exploit cheap foreign sweat shop and child labor.

I say we need to all do our part. Stop buying from Wal Mart and stop hiring sleazy harvesters!

·
Registered
142 Posts

I worked for Tom Snell in 1999 as a combine driver and then as a semi truck driver.
I always found him to be a really nice guy to talk to, not as a friend but as a boss. I never got treated like crap but I got told off sharply by Tom once only when I was doing something wrong. It was tough working there though but thats what I signed up for and it was not all that different to any other harvesting jobs I've had in Europe or Australia. (If you want tough working conditions then go do an Australian harvest). The first job the crew had in April-May was to build 6 huge grain bins. Construction is not my thing so that sucked a bit but the hard work was good for getting used to what was coming. Tom Snell had a very good manager in Taff. I heard that the crew grew from 6-7 combines when I was there to 14 or 16 recently so I guess it has changed a lot especially after Taff left. For the record the pay was ok and the crew got a pretty nice bonus at the end of the harvest. Yes things went wrong, there were setbacks, mechanical dramas and people got frustrated but that happens everywhere.

I don't know what some guys expect when they go on harvest. I guess its just very young guys in probably their first job away from home expecting to live the dream and rule the plains from the cab of a JD.

Anybody who moans about where they work is entitled to do so as not every job suits everybody and remember you are free to leave at any time too. You will be very lucky to get a job where you will get thanks for a job well done. It does happen but its rare.

I don't see anything wrong with that advertisement. Its pitched toward college students who will be working during their "vacation" anyway. Its a good deal considering its room and board and you are guaranteed long hours. Anybody with half a brain who grew up on or near farms would realize that its going to be hard work. Those who don't may not be cut out for the job and are better off in Wal-Mart

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

I can complain, have complained, and will complain. Tom Snell is a P.O.S. as far as I'm concerned.

After running consecutive summers on harvest I can say without a doubt that Snell's operation is shady at best. The living quarters are trashed and the equipment isn't the best.

If you're looking for a good crew try Johnson's, Holland's, or Danielski's if you're looking for a circus try Snell's.

I knew what to expect and how it shoulda been done, neither was really worth it working for Mr. Snell, $1400 a month isn't worth the hassle I put up with. Danielski was way above that and everything Danielski's promised came true, in a heartbeat I'd go to work for them again I cannot say the same for the Snell circus.....

-Alex

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:

I knew what to expect and how it shoulda been done
-Alex

Theres the main problem right there. If you think you know better than men like Tom Snell who have been custom cutting for almost 50 years and whose livelyhood depends on it then you need a reality check.

Tom Snell, Rob Holland, the Fredericks, the Paines, Beforts and all the others have seen literally thousands of young boys like you come and go over the years and they certainly don't pay you to tell them how to run their business. As long as you operate that combine, truck or grain cart safely and reasonably efficiently and do what your told then you will have no problems. As soon as you try to take on more responsibility than you are told you have and are paid for or have the experience to, then problems begin to arise

It sounds like you went to Snells with the wrong attitude, but hey its not an uncommon attitude among young guys on harvest.

I met Hollands crew in 99 and some of them said that they had a bad time with Rob. I know other guys who worked for Rob on and off since 98 and they wouldn't work for anyone else. The difference between the two groups was age and maturity. The young guys expected too much and the slightly older guys just acted maturely, got on with the job and solved the many problems as they arose.

At the end of the day, the crop got cut, the crew got paid and everything carried on as normal.

Why didn't you fix the crew trailer if you knew how it should be done? And the equipment not being the best. What did you expect? Those machines HAVE to pay for themselves and a 3 year old combine is only as good as its operator.

You can think what you like after all Alex just don't expect to get an easy ride on here or on harvest.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:It sounds like you went to Snells with the wrong attitude, but hey its not an uncommon attitude among young guys on harvest.

Quote:The difference between the two groups was age and maturity. The young guys expected too much and the slightly older guys just acted maturely, got on with the job and solved the many problems as they arose.

So you are saying that every young person(like myself) has a bad attitude?

I act like an adult and I am only 16 years old due to the fact that my father is 59, my mother is 54, my sister is 31 and my brother is 26.

I act and get treated like an adult because everyone in my family is a lot older than me.

So you are judging every 'young person' because some young people act imature?

- Gordon

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I knew what to expect and how it shoulda been done
-Alex

Theres the main problem right there. If you think you know better than men like Tom Snell who have been custom cutting for almost 50 years and whose livelyhood depends on it then you need a reality check.

Tom Snell, Rob Holland, the Fredericks, the Paines, Beforts and all the others have seen literally thousands of young boys like you come and go over the years and they certainly don't pay you to tell them how to run their business. As long as you operate that combine, truck or grain cart safely and reasonably efficiently and do what your told then you will have no problems. As soon as you try to take on more responsibility than you are told you have and are paid for or have the experience to, then problems begin to arise

It sounds like you went to Snells with the wrong attitude, but hey its not an uncommon attitude among young guys on harvest.

I met Hollands crew in 99 and some of them said that they had a bad time with Rob. I know other guys who worked for Rob on and off since 98 and they wouldn't work for anyone else. The difference between the two groups was age and maturity. The young guys expected too much and the slightly older guys just acted maturely, got on with the job and solved the many problems as they arose.

At the end of the day, the crop got cut, the crew got paid and everything carried on as normal.

Why didn't you fix the crew trailer if you knew how it should be done? And the equipment not being the best. What did you expect? Those machines HAVE to pay for themselves and a 3 year old combine is only as good as its operator.

You can think what you like after all Alex just don't expect to get an easy ride on here or on harvest.

I am not the only one who has had this feeling toward Mr. Snell. I have talked with other who have had the same sentiment.

I went with an open mind. You can ask those who know me both from on here and everywhere else I am very easy going. I do not try to start fights, but am not afraid to stand my ground.

What do you think I expected from harvest? Since you know all about me apparently and know everything about my motives etc.? What should I have expected from it?

I know they have seen thousands, and I respect that. Mr. Snell doesn't have a favorable reputation with other custom harvesters, I heard it first hand on harvest this year (the crew names witheld as to not point fingers). Even some local business people around Ellinwood feel the same way. My Aunt who worked for the Coop in Great Bend told me the same thing, Mr. Snell is just money hungry, not a people person. I understand you need to run a business but you also have to keep help.

If you're so smart please enlighten me why the same year I quit early due to "the nite" the rest of the crew except 5 or 6 quit later on that year? Even a foreign helper jumped ship, know you tell me how bad it was.... I would love to hear it.

We tried fixing the crew trailer but working till 1-2-3am in the morning and leaving every morning at 7:30 doesn't leave much time for fixing does it? On rain days we were all catching up on sleep as time allowed. Also on the road how many chances do you get to be around a camper store to fix AC? We told them the problem and he said we'd fix it in Ellinwood.... that didn't happen.

Those machines do have to pay for themselves I agree. It shouldn't be a problem if you're a reputable guy/crew that doesn't have trouble finding acres. Danielski's roll 12 new combines a year..... 12 brand new combines how that's work out? You're the know all you tell me.

I do get an easy ride on here as I'm the administrator so what I want goes, but I've never used it to my will, I do what the people want and apparently it's working as more and more people are joining and the boards are overflowing with information.

I never expected an easy ride on harvest. I have been on harvest twice now, and the second time 500% better than the first. Danielski's are head and shoulders above the rest.

If you are done trying to lecture me on how young/immature/unwise I am I will allow you to stay, if you keep attempting to pick a fight with me I will remove you.

-Alex
site admin

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

This from a neutral party....

Quote:not to take sides, but while working here at the dealership, snell harvesting has been a topic of discussion many times here. one of the discussions was about his business practices and many seemed to agree that there was something not natural going on there.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Alex I've sent you an E mail.

To Gordon. No I'm not tarring all young people with the same brush, just the ones who try to run before they walk. Every young bloke goes through that phase which occurs about the same time those that want to are old enough to work on a harvest crew. I did but quickly learned that being 18 did not mean I am instantly an adult. You are lucky to be surrounded by older people who have helped mould you into someone more mature than your age suggests and treat you as such.

The internet is not the best place to judge how mature or otherwise someone is.

I've sent Alex an E-mail to hopefully come across a bit nicer.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:<Grabs some popcorn, this is getting interesting.>

-Lance

Heh, Heh...........

Combiness is/was in a bad mood, I think H E double hockey sticks just froze over!!!!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Laury, in repsonse to your email.

I appreciate the attempt at reconciliation. I know you mean it in best regards but what you said above really shows what you meant to type. I have already responded to those allegations.

I'm glad you enjoy the site as does the other 1,044 people registered. The blog was something done for people across the globe I hope they enjoyed it.

I understand you worked for them a while ago, but at the same time you have to respect that I worked for them in 2005 much more recent times, the times have changed as evidence by the amount of combines and chaos he has created by having that many. Tom had sold the entire trucking company TST by the time I was employed by him. They got to keep the name as part of the deal and he was out of it completely, and thus expanding his harvesting business.

About the wealthy part I will agree, however I have heard from numberous people that he has filed bankruptcy.... rumor or not I do not know.... if he has that is his business if he hasn't so be it he lives to run another day in the world of harvesting.

I must admit that working for Tom was probably the worst job I have ever had bar none. He never told me how good of a job I was doing, he hardly ever talked to me. Unless I was one of his second year guys I wasn't anything. I was always told of my mistakes and how I could be better.... On top of harvesting Tom also holds a degree in and runs a pharmacy in Ellinwood. I'm not doubting he's an intelligent man but not a "smart" man. Any man can start a business. It takes someone special to survive. He didn't star this harvesting business that was his father I believe, so he inhertited it.... Nothing wrong with it but it wasn't his to begin with.

I, and Ralf, can tell you first hand that an F- operator to Tom Snell maybe a great operator that was never given a fair chance. Ralf has hired Tom's rejects only to have them be great operators. I guess it's all a matter of opinion..

If it was disorganized in 199* when you went with 7 combines, imagine how having only the 2/3 real supervisors went with 14/15 combines.... chaos is a very light term to use.

When your foreman of 15 or so years quits due to a "chewing" he was given by Tom himself you know it was bad. The whole incident was started by a Kinze 1050's wheel hub breaking and the wheat spilling onto the ground. The rest is history.......

The infamous night involed me and Tom's nephew getting into a fist fight. He was the one who thought he had more power than he did, nephew or not I was not going to take the verbal abuse he gave me. I told him repeadidly to stop only to have him continue. I then told him to quit it or I'd make him, and well to make a long story short I made him and quit before I could be fired. I was then thrown across a camper by Taff claiming this is his crew not Tom's why did I have to bother Tom with it (I called Tom and told what happened and he apparently called Taff). He said I was just a young kid who had no sense in the world basically. I packed my things and left before anything else could happen. I have never regreted the decision I made that night, and never will.

I do not hold any hard feelings but I do not like being told how I feel and why I feel that way. I do not mind a difference of opinion but when you tell me I do not know something that I do have first hand knowledge of it irritates me. If you have any more specific questions about my run feel free to email me and I will respond.

-Alex

1 - 20 of 37 Posts