The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: STS in corn/beans

I have a 9650 sts with a 930f and have ran alongside ih's and jd conventionals in soybeans. The sts handles the 30 footer no problem.(I wonder if I'd do better with a 36ft draper) But I call the 930f a rockpicker cuz it does pick rocks like nuts. I like the ih's 1020f because it doesnt pick rocks at all. I got to to say that the sts handles the green stemmed beans much better than any of the machines I have ran. Also in edible beans (pinto's and navies), the sts has twice the capacity of a jd conventional with better quality sample(alot less splits and fm's). I have no experience in corn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Speaking of rocktraps....I think the sts' rocktrap is alright, but too small in my book. They should have a larger rocktrap. I've had smaller rocks and shanks plus a fence post go through the rotor because the rock trap didnt catch it in time. smaller rocks haven't caused any damage, but the shanks and fence post did cause considerable damage to the rotor cage/concave and beater discharge platform as well along with taking out a few chooper blades and knives. I don't have the rockguard on my 930f since I didn't want to deal with the problem of short stem bean pile up. I have a major problem with short stemmed beans piling up on the 930, so as you can see, adding the rock guards are not going to help. The problem is the design of the 930 itself. The cutterbar platform has a small hump, causing buildup. When comparing this set up to another machine of mine...a 2388 with 30 ft 1020 flex, its night and day difference. I dont have a problem with the short stem beans piling up, nor do I have any problems with picking rocks. If I could, I'd have another 1020 and put it on the sts. But, Im leaning towards going with a draper head next time. Keep in mind I dont have the air reel system on my flexheads, nor do see the need of this at this time.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Just out of curiosity how did a fence post exactly squeeze through the header and everything without you noticing? I mean it's not exactly something you see being fed through the header every day...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:Just out of curiosity how did a fence post exactly squeeze through the header and everything without you noticing? I mean it's not exactly something you see being fed through the header every day...

The fence post issue was when we were combining pinto beans. We use a bean cutter system that converts 6 rows into a swath down the field and another 6 rows into a swath coming back equaling 12 rows for the combine to pick at a time. It was just bad luck that the bean cutter picked up an old old broken off fence post (2 ft). Also, at another time, we had a old s-style shank go thru the combine. This was while combing edible beans too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts