The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: time to trade 2388 for 7010 or 9770?

Tcafarms the benefits to the 7010 over the 9770 are huge. cvt rotor drive = no belt jd still has a rotor belt, cvt feeder the 9770 still has a belt drive now with a transmission shift for speed. the 7010 will adjust to the ground speed and adjust automatically. Self leveling sieves on the 7010. if you have any hills or terrain the 7010 will adjust to that as well. 4 speed ground drive with an easy to change gear selector. jd still has the jerk on the handle method. color afs600 pro monitor, easy to calibrate for moisture and yield. adjust sieves in cab to fine tune the sample in seed beans. and very easy to clean out for id preservation. the 7010 also has 8370sq in of sieve compared to the 9770 at 6964sq in. the 7010 will handle the toughest, highest yielding crops easier. standard 330bu grain tank as well. and the servicability on the 7010 is much better. the machine only has 5 belts and 3 chains on the whole machine and they are all easy to get at. the engine compartment is very clean and easy to service. 300hr oil change intervals, and a 264gal fuel tank for long days. the quality of the 2007 7010/8010 is unmatched in the industry and the grain quality, and product are the best there is. the biggest advantage has to be the cab. the 7010 cab is huge and quiet. the jd cab is small and very loud. just turn on the unloader and try and carry on a conversation then. in the 7010 all you here is the machine or the radio if you turn it on. I have dealt with the afx combine platform since 2004 and yes there have been trying time but now that combine is an animal. 12row ch, 36' draper, nothing has slowed these machines down this year. thousand of acres and not one fire(I had to thow that in), or hardly any down time. cost is always a factor but when the machine is the clear winner price must take a back door to quality, and performance. especially if seed beans are required to get a premium for grain quality.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Been running a 7010 this season and so far we are impressed. The daily mantaince is virtually nothing. Check the oil in the gearboxs and do a quick walk around. No grease points until 100hrs and then there are only 4 and they are easy to get at on ground level.
Our 7010 was a monster in beans and had a great sample... even in non ideal condtions with lots of green stems, and a few green pods.

It all comes down to the dealer support. Try both machines or at least ride in them in the field before you buy. Goodluck I am sure they are both great machines.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I have 9860 and 8010 8010 is a nicer combine cab is better, lots quieter,better vision , 4speed transmission, more cleaning area although sample is not really better. Deere unload is superior, Deere corn head seems to leave less on ground. feeding is better also, If you have someone who will keep case running it is a very nice machine. mine is 2005 and has all updates but it is always something wrong with it. maybe 7010 is better. I traded 2003 that caught on fire nearly everyday plus control pressure plus whatever else could go wrong for 2005 they said they had the bugs worked out and it is somewhat better at least it doesn't catch on fire. but it is far from reliable. 9860 missed one day this year with a flat. the 8010 missed several days waiting on parts etc. fuel consumption is very close on either machine, Deere looks more complicated with all the belts but it works. Iam not a case basher either i have ran all case for a many of years but the 8010 is the reason the 9860 is on our farm. I would much rather see machine run well i did not buy it so i would have something to complain about I just wanted a decent product and mine is definitely not that. Good luck in whatever you do!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts

I am looking for another combine, or trade mine for (one) big(ger) combine. I thought I knew for sure I wanted another combine to add to my line up, but the more I think about it....I just don't know. If I get another combine, it will require another man on the payroll, etc.
Whatever I go with, though, it will almost have to be green/JD. The CIH House, here, is not good at all. It ~used to be Scott Tractor, and just a day or two ago, it became "Heritage Tractor". The new CIH place sent me a bill for warranty parts on my brand new CIH 1200 planter. When Scott Tractor owned the dealership, they said all my planter parts were to be replaced under warranty, at no cost to me...Now, these new guys want $1,200 bucks...Really a good way to say hello, huh?

Dealer support, including on the farm wrench-twisting is a big consideration to all of us! With Deere and CIH being relatively close to one another (in quality of product), especially in the crops I produce, I really do not have another choice other than Green. My nearest Cat dealer is in Dalhart, TX, which is nearly 3 hours away...so that is not a feasible option.

After reading Jab1's post, I feel 'comfotable' in my decision (pertaining to combines). I sure [think I] own a good (red) planter, though...so I don't think I am dipped in any one 'color'.

"This" debate is endless, I believe...the red vs green 'thing'. No combine is going to be perfect...there are simply too many things happening at once inside one of those beasts...if you stop and think about it, it is simply amazing how a combine can combine/thrash a crop like corn at, say, 5 mph..combines have come a LONG way, huh?

·
Registered
521 Posts

I know what you mean, KinzePower!
We are 100% dryland (wheat and milo), so the only time I get to see trucks get full, fast, (with say, 200 bu.+/ac. corn) is when I do some custom trucking for a neighbor. When I go and haul [corn] for him, I am amazed at how fast it happens! Also, no matter how fast I drive, I can ~never~ get back to the field fast enough!

What combine did you start out with?
I started (riding) on a JD 95, without a cab...then on to a JD 105 with a cab...The first combine I operated was a JD 6600 (probably 30 hours of seat time, total)...then onto a JD 6620...then....
I remember my grandfather working quite a while, in pretty good [dryland] wheat to fill our bobtail grain truck. Now, one combine's bin full will darn-near fill that [same] bobtail truck! We only use the bobtails for seed, and such, anymore.....

·
Registered
588 Posts

I was thinking the same thing the other day as the full trucks keep rolling away at a pretty good rate. We used to pick corn up until the early 80's with a 2 row NI picker sheller. I can't remember for sure, but it seems it took well over an hour to fill a 150 bu wagon. That means I was dong the work of over 20 of those old machines/hr. Hard to imagine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts