The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: tips on keep it red

blow it down at the end of harvest. Then hand wash it like you would a car. Next get out some good old wax and give her an nice waxing. If you do this every 6 months it will be easier to clean and keep NICE and SHINEY. oh park it inside at all times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I have used it on tires on a car but never on a combine yet. I would think that dust might cling to it. just a thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts

When I worked for the Case Ih Dealership we used to use a rubbing compound and then a good waxing. Unbelieveable results but takes time and alot of elbow grease. It will bring the weathered appearance to alomost new again. I think it came from Napa but can't remember. Just a note, when using the compound don't do too big of an area before wiping excess off. Small areas at a time work best. Almost the opposite of waxing. That's my experience anyway.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I asked this question a while back, but I can't find the old thread. It had a lot of good advice but the gist of it was what harvest04 said: rubbing compound then wax. If you dig through the Off Topic forum or get the Search function to do what you want you might be able to find it.

I think it was sometime between late October and December, 2007. Might narrow your search down somewhat.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Don't use tire shine, over time it turns tires a brownish color and then it just don't look good at all, i'd say just leave them a matte finish and keep it inside to prevent dry-rotting.

If you gonna polish your combine by hand, good luck to you. I guess it's a little bit of laziness and realizing its much more effective, but i use a buffer and i can't say a single bad thing about it, especially if you have several machines to do.

Rubbing compound and a wax will work. How bad of shape is it really in though?

A local farmer had a 7120 (i think) i did for him.

Typical newer machinery fade on the right side, where i went over it with a single pass using a buffer and a cleaner wax on the left side

·
Registered
16 Posts

That is shiny
. If it starts looking a little dirty just tell people that she has her working close on

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

not sure i follow you exactly aussie, you want to have the truckwash wash/polish your machinery or are you asking if they can do it?

shouldn't be ashamed of faded color anymore, with the plastic body panels they use now its too common to see faded machinery. All it takes is a little bit of dedication during the off-season and a good radio station.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

quickest durable way would be a random orbital buffer (so you dont burn the paint) and a cleaner wax topped with a regular wax or sealant.

In the pictures i posted thats just 1 pass with a buffer and cleaner wax and it took me maybe 2hrs to do that tractor from top to bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts