The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: trade 2388 for a 7010 or 9770??

Demo both in your conditions side by side and then tell us what happens.... It's your choice

·
Premium Member
775 Posts

When are you planning to trade? I've got the first few 9770's on the way for a customer who runs with a custom guy that has a 7010, so we'll see how that goes.

But just from what I hear around here, stick the AFX.

·
Registered
588 Posts

You will never get anybody on here to give an objective opinion about anything.
Try them out side by side and report back.
One thing you will not see though,on a side by side, is dependability. The Deere is going to fewer problems and less downtime, reading these boards should be an indication of that.

·
Registered
588 Posts

When it comes to comparing combines, or anything for that matter, the specs in the brochure or sales manual mean nothing. The acid test is in the field.
Alot of guys are always saying the STS's won't do this or that, based solely on what they read and not what experience has demonstrated. While I agree that the STS should have more cleaning area, in our high yielding conditions it is not limiting on a 9760, so it a moot point.
We grow 100+ bu wheat and I am limited in speed by rotor loss, not shoe loss. I routinely have the best sample at the elevator where most of the machines that deliver there are red, including a 8010. My losses are as low as anybody else as well, with much higher harvest rates than most. Again opinions based on paper specs mean squat. The machine is very well balanced and can deliver ALOT of clean grain per hour with minimal loss.
Again the best way is to compare them in the field, not on paper.
One big advantage of the Deere is the unloading system, it is significanly faster than the IH and this makes a big difference to us in high yielding corn.
One poster on this forum measured his 8010 and 9860 in dry corn and got the following results:
4.88 bu/s for the Deere and 3.74bu/s for the 8010.
On paper the Deere is 3.3 and the IH is 3.2, but in the field where the rubber meets the road, things are very different.
In our corn, we have been getting 200+ dry bushels and harvesting it @ 25% moisture. We can make it to the end of the field and make the turn but the bin is full. At the speed we are going we are adding nearly 1 bu/s into the bin and in wet corn the unload rate is probably closer to 2.5 bu/s. If the unload rate was only 75% (as in the above test) the bin would not be empty when we get to the headland. This would seriously affect overall productivity and make the buggy operators job very difficult. The balance of the entire operation would be compromised because of this one bottle neck. Now THAT is something to consider.
With one buggy in high yielding wet corn, it would be very difficult to keep a 8010 running at capacity. What good is a bigger machine just to hurry up and wait. At the very least with a 8010, your buggy better have a huge unload auger (20 inches or bigger) and have a VERY sharp buggy operator. In the case of the 7010, it is not bigger than a 9770 yet I still see where the small auger would hamper field efficiency. There are many times doing headlands where I do not have far to travel while unloading yet I can still empty the bin.
Again, get these 2 machines in the field and give them a workout. I know I would not be afraid to go up against a 7010 all day long with our 9760.
At least you will have more room in the 7010 to stretch out and relax while you wait for you buggy operator.

It's all good.
Have a safe harvet.

·
Registered
29 Posts

In most cases, big combines are going to need 2 grain carts in high yielding corn. Assuming there is a tractor and operator available for the second cart, the incremental cost of a second cart is reasonable. If you can't run two carts...then it gets difficult to justify a large combine.

I like running the STS, it is a very nice combine. However, I think I would lean towards the 7010, unless it's reliability is just too low. I don't have any way to judge that since I've not run one.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts

Ran beside, (Or near, or well in the same field as) a 9770 Today. Not a big improvement over a 9760. Increased power was somewhat noticeable. It was in the same field as a 9660 and there sadly wasn't that much difference. In the green steam beans, (And for those of you who dont know I'm a dealer for both, but nothing could touch the 575 Lex. It was running 2 miles an hour faster than the 96 and a mile an hour faster than the 9770 and taking in 5 feet more.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts

Quote:Ran beside, (Or near, or well in the same field as) a 9770 Today. Not a big improvement over a 9760. Increased power was somewhat noticeable. It was in the same field as a 9660 and there sadly wasn't that much difference. In the green steam beans, (And for those of you who dont know I'm a dealer for both, but nothing could touch the 575 Lex. It was running 2 miles an hour faster than the 96 and a mile an hour faster than the 9770 and taking in 5 feet more.

lexionman where would that put the 590R? What's the spread?
Thanks

Don

·
Premium Member
775 Posts

Theres more of a noticeable difference in tougher condtions. Last week I ran a 595 In 55 Bu Beans with tough stems, with a 40 ft Macdon and we were running anywhere from 6.5 to 7 and the load monitor never got over 70%. You notice a lot more of a difference when you go to the 590 as opposed to the 580, since the 570 & 580 are the same size just a bigger machine. I have some videos Im uploading to you tube of some side by side action.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Huge spread, we demoed a 595R and a A-85 last week at the same time in the same field, they both gave a great sample but the lexion was running 1.5 to 2 mph faster then the A-85 with same size head, we could push the gleaner the same speed but started throwing over, there is no machine that will compare to the 590 595.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:Huge spread, we demoed a 595R and a A-85 last week at the same time in the same field, they both gave a great sample but the lexion was running 1.5 to 2 mph faster then the A-85 with same size head, we could push the gleaner the same speed but started throwing over, there is no machine that will compare to the 590 595.

Based on the laws of inefficiency relative to excessive heat temps caused naturally by the prolonged use of a high RPM hydrostatic drive under constant load, I would expect the gap to be larger. The 595R obviously wasn't being pushed for all it's worth. I know that the Challenger equivalent 680B got its butt kicked last year in a nearby demo with a Lexion 575R. Both were running 35 foot heads in beans and the 575R was out pacing the 680B by a good 1 mph.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:In most cases, big combines are going to need 2 grain carts in high yielding corn. Assuming there is a tractor and operator available for the second cart, the incremental cost of a second cart is reasonable. If you can't run two carts...then it gets difficult to justify a large combine.

I like running the STS, it is a very nice combine. However, I think I would lean towards the 7010, unless it's reliability is just too low. I don't have any way to judge that since I've not run one.

I can justify 1 class 7 combine running between 3-3500 bu/hr. With the unload spead of the Deere, 1 buggy is enough to keep us going. If you think it's acceptable to have 1 more person/tractor/buggy just because the unload auger is slower than carry on...I personally think it's obsurd.
We could easy go faster if we traded buggies to get a bigger unload auger, right now we have a 18" and it keeps up to things nicely. If we were running 4000+ bu/hr 1 buggy with a 22" auger would keep up since it does not have to waste so much time sitting beside the combine due to the higher unload rate.
You seem to be proving my point, a faster unload rate can potentially save an extra man/mahine, boy that is savings where I come from.
1 man/tractor/fuel/buggy = $60/hr / 4000 bu/hr = 1.5cents/bu savings. It that means nothing to you, then just send me a cheque for 1.5 cents for every bushel you harvest...apparently you will never notice it...I will though.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Quote:In most cases, big combines are going to need 2 grain carts in high yielding corn. Assuming there is a tractor and operator available for the second cart, the incremental cost of a second cart is reasonable. If you can't run two carts...then it gets difficult to justify a large combine.

I can justify 1 class 7 combine running between 3-3500 bu/hr. With the unload spead of the Deere, 1 buggy is enough to keep us going. If you think it's acceptable to have 1 more person/tractor/buggy just because the unload auger is slower than carry on...I personally think it's obsurd.
We could easy go faster if we traded buggies to get a bigger unload auger, right now we have a 18" and it keeps up to things nicely. If we were running 4000+ bu/hr 1 buggy with a 22" auger would keep up since it does not have to waste so much time sitting beside the combine due to the higher unload rate.
You seem to be proving my point, a faster unload rate can potentially save an extra man/mahine, boy that is savings where I come from.
1 man/tractor/fuel/buggy = $60/hr / 4000 bu/hr = 1.5cents/bu savings. It that means nothing to you, then just send me a cheque for 1.5 cents for every bushel you harvest...apparently you will never notice it...I will though.

A class 7 Deere isn't going to do 3-3500 bu/hr.

·
Registered
929 Posts

I have to say that your point on combine unloading speeds seems pretty irrelevant to me. IMO the only things that matter are that the combine is empty when the cart is full and pulling away, how far the cart has to drive to get to the truck, and how fast the cart can unload and get back to the combine. The worst thing you can do is send the cart to the truck with grain still in the hopper. I haven't timed my unload to know for sure what it is, but i can't say I can see any efficiency to gain with a faster unload on my combine.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I do see his point and it being relevant. If you can empty your full hopper fast enough the grain cart will be full and the hopper empty. Instead if it unloads slower the cart could be filling at almost the same rate as the clean grain elevator filling the grain tank thus when the cart's full you still have 1/2 a hopper as with a faster unload rate the hopper would be empty and the cart full.

If that's clear as mud? I can see a point in it. Maybe it not as big of a deal but I can see where he's coming from after unloading with a 3.3bu/s auger and a 2.2bu/s auger... having the extra capacity is nice when doing corn, by far a GREAT improvement.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Unloading rate is very important, especially if you are only using one cart. My point was that the biggest, fastest, best-operated grain cart in the world can't keep up with two carts. With two carts, one is filling a truck while the other is dumping the combine. You can get by just fine with two "normal" carts. For the largest combines, it seems like two carts would be a requirement in high yeilding corn.

Maybe class 6 and 7 machines can keep going with one fast cart and a fast unloading auger, simply because they can't process enough grain? But, unless I was confident the cart could keep the machine unloaded, I would be hesitant to sink extra money into extra combine capacity.

The same goes for trucks. If you don't have enough trucks, what's the point?

·
Registered
929 Posts

Alex I understand what you guys are saying but when we are talking about a 7010 or 9770 unload it just seems like a moot point. They are both going to unload very fast. However fast you get the grain off the combine, the most important thing by far is that the combine is empty when the cart is full.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

A class 7 Deere isn't going to do 3-3500 bu/hr.

Why, because you say so??
The more you open your mouth, the more of a fool you are.
We can keep up that pace all day,all week, all year...if we have trucks.
You are so anti-Deere I don't know if it's entertaining or just plain pathetic.
Would you like to call the trucking company that trucks my corn and ask them how busy I can keep a bunch of trucks?

Back to the auger debate, if the unload rate of the IH is only 75% of the Deere (ACTUAL test) then it would definitely slow down our productivity.
Long before this topic came up here I have often mused at the thaught of having a smaller auger and how much it would cost us in overall produtivity.
Thge less time it takes to unload the combine, the more time the buggy has to get to the truck, unload and get back. It's not that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Ok fellers,

A 9770 will do 3000 bu per hour, and yes a fast unload rate is fine, but not a deal killer, and will NOT slow down the combine at 3000 bu per hour.........If ya have a descent operator. Our combine doesn't stop with one cart and picking 3000+ per hour. Brent 24" unload auger might have something to do with it?

If ya want fast unloading, ya gotta have a new agco, no ifs and or butts about it, its gonna unload faster than any combine out there.

If ya want to talk no pivots........Let talk. Who here pivots there auger when filling the grain cart?
If ya do, hats off, your a better operator than me!

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:Ok fellers,

A 9770 will do 3000 bu per hour, and yes a fast unload rate is fine, but not a deal killer, and will NOT slow down the combine at 3000 bu per hour.........If ya have a descent operator. Our combine doesn't stop with one cart and picking 3000+ per hour. Brent 24" unload auger might have something to do with it?

If ya want fast unloading, ya gotta have a new agco, no ifs and or butts about it, its gonna unload faster than any combine out there.

If ya want to talk no pivots........Let talk. Who here pivots there auger when filling the grain cart?
If ya do, hats off, your a better operator than me!

24", that's a BIG auger. What does it take you unload a bin full, about 6.3 seconds? Ours is only a 18", 24" is 75% more cross sectional area.
I'm sure with a buggy like that, and fast unloading on the combine, 1 buggy could easily manage 4500bu/hr + IF the trucks are close to the headland.

·
Registered
118 Posts

If you need to pivot your auger maybe you need a bigger grain cart or a new cart operator!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts