The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: What happened to the CTS?

The 9860, 9760, 9660 STS's are all in 9500 size chassis, what's the issue?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

The CTS combine is still produced in my hometown zweibrücken/germany,it has now 370 hp max and is available with a factory installed hillmaster levelling system.The fact that the chassis or body frame is that of a small 5 walker machine is a big advantage here in europe because of the road restrictions,and it sells very good,but every owner says that this system,redesigned and with a larger body framewith a larger threshing cylinder and a larger cleaning shoe and the big 12.5 l engine with about 500 hp or more would outperform the 9880 STS by far and even the lexion 590 or 600,but the Deere marketing guys want the STS combine as their top of the line product,unfortunetely.

·
Registered
298 Posts

I've never had experience with one but I've heard the term "Can't Thrash S***" used on them though.

·
Registered
778 Posts

The CTS had it's good points but was underpowered and was only popular in select areas. I guess Deere saw more potential with the STS configuration. The CTS was in a 9500 body so that also limited capacity. Instead of investing the money to revamp the CTS, they concentrated on the STS.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:I've never had experience with one but I've heard the term "Can't Thrash S***" used on them though.

Not suppose to thrash s*** but it sure can out thrash our 9600.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Lol, I guess not. Thats only what I heard, but it seems people around here prefered the 21 and 23 series Axial Flows but it seems people are turning to the STS combines. The CTS are disappearing slowly around here.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Found this picture I had saved from a few years ago. Looks like a newer style CTS. I had found it on John Deere's website a few years ago.

·
Registered
316 Posts

We have rasp bars in ours and it produced a better sample than the 9600. Was easier to set. But our beans are dry and we cut them after they freeze, very seldom do we have green steam beans.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I have been rolling the phrase "can't thrash s***" around and trying to figure out why a CTS would have a harder time thrashing than a normal 9500/9600. Unless they were talking about the spike tooth instead of the rasp bar. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

The "cant thrash s#!&" motor I believe was in place because of soybeans... I believe it was the only crop the CTS really had trouble with, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Actually, that term was also just tossed around to take another stab at Deere. I heard this all along in wheat country, too. It's just another sily insult thing, and probably has no real bearing on this combine's ability to thresh or inability to thresh a particular crop.

Seriously, the only REAL difference in most combines' performance is BOTH a very good operator and correct settings for whatever crop.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Thats the first late model cts I've seen other then the one from the website that I posted. Did deere make many of the newer cts's?

·
Registered
16 Posts

we ran four cst2s in 98 and four more in 99, they did not shine in green stem beans you defintly want the fast pulleys on the tine drives or the want to wrap up full. but you put them in malt barley thats 150 bu ac and straw that is green and 50% moisture the only thing that will run with them is a 485 cat if the cts2 had a little more power it would have been better. they did as good of a job as any macine we have ever ran .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts