The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: WNC - Grain harvest: JD 7720 Titan

are there very many sucker heads? if not, why are they cutting all of the straw?

Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts

Hope I didn't offend with my question about rust on the JD 4400 on your other post - it's just that it reminded me of another post awhile back that showed an International tractor in your state that was quite badly rusted. I understand on the east coast up here in Canada the salt (whether spread on the roads or in the air off the ocean) eats up cars quickly.
What kind of yield would be average in your area. I notice the 7720 has a 15-ft. header - would there be enough material to keep a 7720 full with that size of header? Looks like there's a lot of straw. What would you estimate the average size farm be in your area and what other crops would the farmers grow there? Sure is interesting to see such variations in farms in different parts of the country on these posts.

·
Registered
131 Posts

i am also in nc and the before mentioned question about rust on the machines is simply this HUMIDITY. we have lots of it i have seen equiptment come here out of the midwest like corn heads that have been in a shed but hasnt seent a corn feild in 8 or 10 months and the snouts are still shinny. here get done put it in a shed and in 1 month there is rust where there was bare metal. most people keep there equipment clean and under shelter but the simple fact is the weather here.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Yeah that makes sense - I didn't think about the humidity, probably because here on the southern Canadian prairies we don't see much of that. Our weather goes from -40 below in the winter to 100 above in the summer, but like everyone says "...but it's a dry cold (or heat depending on the time of year)". I don't think I could take the heat and humidity you guys get down there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts