The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: WNC - Grain harvest: JD 9550 Sidehill

The last few pictures looks like he is cutting low, it sounds like the owner wants it cut to the ground for the straw, it will take more to do that if he cuts to the ground for the straw. They need to talk about it before combining.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Sometimes there are reasons for cutting high...

We only use the straight-cut for flax, and I refuse to go lower than 12", that's shaving the heads off - we'll cut the straw later. The reason? Rocks....

Here's a newbie question: What are "terraces" being from the prairies (both the Argentinian, and the Canadian) I have no clue what you guys are talking about with "terraces"...

-Christian

·
Registered
88 Posts

terraces??

Well I guess you have seen them for rice

but in the south they look like that

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I've never been to North Carolina, but I think it's safe to say there aren't a lot of step terraces around. What would be in those fields is a type of diversion terrace, which is really just a mound of soil raised up along a hill's contour. The uphill side of the terrace is graded so water that run off the field flows downhill in a controlled manner into some sort of waterway. That way excess runoff can safely exit the field without washing away the topsoil. Much of Oklahoma east of Texas County is terraced the same way.

We farm one section that was terraced in the '60s, but they were never maintained. Now the only sign that there was anything is an unnatural slope of only a few feet in rise and run.

Nice pictures, btw. I always like seeing rare combines in action.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

thanks twitter, okpanhandle, and Samuel... I've seen sloughs/hills, but never saw people leveling them off...

-Christian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts