The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Your prediction for Deere 09 combines?

Still trying to catch "CAT"
????????????????

Simber

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

i dont see the big deal with 16row heads, honestly don't....only fit into 16/32 row planters and the 16 rows are common, but most people who have 16 rows probably dont have the handling support for a 16row head.

heck i know one of the bigger farmers in our area has a tough enough time keeping up with his 1200bu cart and 3 semi's on his 12 row head.

As far as rotors go....let em keep coming, the 60STS prices have dropped a boatload since the 70STS was released for purchase, which is good news for us since we'll be able to hop in a under 1000hr sep. 60STS for cheap and it'll probably get the same job done.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Yeah im sure there are only a limited number of people who would want a 16 row corn head.

personally we wouldn't go to a 12 row unless it was a folding.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

i'd go 12 row in in instant if they weren't so much d**n money, lol.

I love how people complain about a non-folding heads....it takes what 3min to hook/unhook heads, not a big deal....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

I'd rather have a 8 row drago than a 12 row John Deere. John Deere heads are junk compared to drago.

I would like Deere not to make begger combines, but how about making these ones heavier. Since we got this 9650 it is the first time that I have welded on a combine, and it's little thing like the braket for the tailings elevator.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

the less people you have to employ the better..

If i can fold and move then thats a great thing..

Plus deere heads aren't bad...New holland copyed them and they seem to work decent..

Still like the way the case 1083's cut but there's alot of good in the deere design..

try to keep this thread different from the other thread..

·
Registered
975 Posts

Casefarmer and ebertfarms you both make good points on the 12 row head. I like the folding design because you can push a button at the end and move. However it doesn't take that long to unhook the new style heads and put them on a cart. When we bought our new 8010 I wanted a folding Gerringhoff. However that was going to be $70,000 plus for a non chopping head. We found a demo 2006 CaseIH 2412 for $50,000 delivered with a year CaseIH warranty. So guess what we bought that to save $20,000.

Factoryfarmer I have heard that Drago is a good head, just haven't seen one run. How does it compare to a Gerringhoff or such?

Also do you think Deere or anyone will make a class X or just a class IX? I know I asked this on the other thread, but what specs will a class X have to meet?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

the problem with gerringhoff and Drago's (like most non big companies) is there's no support for them...

you go to the case/deere/agco dealer and ask em for a drago knife roll, their probably gonna laugh at you. There's also no resale for them because most people dont know the value....yeah their high priced, but there's no resale market for them like a known color head would be.

Dont get me wrong a folding head would be nice and all, but in all reality its another thing that could go wrong, and have you looked at the weight differences between a folding gerringhoff or drago against a non-fold case/deere/etc?

you'd need rwa just to make it through a soft spot they weigh so d**n much, lol.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

i looked on their website but found nothing....i dunno how they wouldnt weigh more, i looked at them at farm shows over the summer/winter and there's alot of steel in em

·
Registered
71 Posts

I can't make a real even comparison but when moving from a 12r22" deere head to a 16r22" chopping gerringhoff there was a major weight difference. Our 9860s had to have the psi on the feederhouse hydralics increased just to get it off the trailer. We also used an aftermarket countour master cylinder. Also there seems to be a difference in where the weight is like it is heavier further away from the feederhouse than the deere head.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

I beleive that Deere will probably copy the other manufacturers like they did on the STS and CTS machines. Only try to actually make a bigger machine that will clean the capcity that the machine has. Class 8 and 9 will have larger cleaning area than the current machine (not only more horsepower to make it meet the large class machines).

·
Registered
975 Posts

Are they really heavier? Gerringhoff claims theirs to be lighter. Anyone know thats run both a OEM and a aftermarket head?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

i dont think the current system is confusing at all, i actually prefer it. There running out of numbers and the last thing i wanna see is them start all over...

for example: 8430's from the 70's and current models.....maybe they need to add a letter to em somewhere...

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Quote:i dont think the current system is confusing at all, i actually prefer it. There running out of numbers and the last thing i wanna see is them start all over...

for example: 8430's from the 70's and current models.....maybe they need to add a letter to em somewhere...

I know what you you are talking about working for a John Deere Dealer, we have to look up parts for right equipment.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Agree with you there, Motram. Further adding to the confusion is the recycling of numbers, given to tractors--which are former combine model numbers. Simply put, way too many 7700 combines were still in use, in 1992 when the same number was given to a small tractor. Later, another upgraded tractor, was called a "7720."
Again, a great deal of Titans still around to just blow that off. Deere really added to the mess by concurrently producing both a "9400" tractor AND combine!

Yes, I'd say Deere is becoming maxed-out on 4-digit model numbers. 38 years ago, John Deere did not bat an eye by moving up to a 4-digit numerical system. Now, it is high time to just get on to a 5-digit designation system and end this mess once and for all.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

My prediction for Deere 09 combines is - Still overrated!.

And what if they do move on to a five digit model designation? Then what six, then seven, then eight...? Pretty soon the whole side of the tractor would be nothing but numbers. They just need to think of an easier system. Case did good with the MX and so forth, as well as NH with the TG, and Agco with DT(all copied from Case) but it works good. I think they'll just have to start over with a 2 or 3 digit series and maybe even throw a letter or two in there.

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts

Quote:WHO KNOWS FOR SURE.AS THE SAYING GOES ,WITH A FEW WORDS CHANGED.. COMBINES ARE LIKE A BOX OF CANDY YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TIL YOU BUY ONE.
I think you mean "BOX OF CHOCOLATES" a la Forrest Gump.

Don

·
Registered
530 Posts

THere isnt any reason for deere to make any real changesto the machine and they know that. In fact those in charge at Deeres harvester works have stated in the past that there isnt any real reason to take the best that they do know about harvesters and release them into production since they already have the lead in the market and are making profit. THere isnt any reason to be more than one step ahead of the competetion at any given moment. The production figures and sales speak for themselves. THey have designs on the shelf for future use sort of secret weapons per say for when they need the advantage in the market.
Most people think deere doesnt make a better combine currently because they dont know how,,, the joke is on the consumer, your still buying the newest available every year no matter if its what you think it should be. Even if the newest, or even the 09 model isnt what you think it should be your still NOT going to buy a red or yellow machine, youll keep running green.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Who knows for sure.as the saying goes ,with a few words changed.. Combines are like a box of candy you don't know what you got til you buy one.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts