The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing the oil in the reaction arm and the oil on one side was very silver. I put a magnet in the oil flow to collect the metallic material and ended up with roughly a teaspoon of silver grease. There were no coarse fragments and the seals don’t leak. Are the bearings shot, are they spinning in the housing or is this normal. Read online it’s not the cheapest thing to fix if left to destroy the arm. Any advice welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When the bearings do go if is just bearing replacement and the casting is not damaged its a 2 day stay and 18k if you get a dealer shop to fix it.

On my 865C had a mechanic out to do some other work on it and they checked the oil, it looked fine to them, suggested changing it after seeding. 60hrs into seeding I had oil on the tracks, bearings went out.

There is an updated bearing setup for these tractors if you go the replacement route.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It’s 765A series. Only of Couple of years so not sure wats been done to it.
The original bearings in the early Challenges only had one plug on the outside and one on the inside. Any updates after that had 2 on the outside 180 degrees opposite each other and still just one on the inside. When draining make sure you drain through both the inside and outside plugs. Take your time filling so the oil can get all the way through the two bearings to the inside.

With the silver and no leaking between the drivers I would call that more of a normal condition and just keep an eye on it and change oil not more than 500 hour intervals. If you had metal chunks and leakage then it would be more serious.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Reaction arm bearing failures were quite common on the big frame A’s, but I have never heard of one going bad on the 700’s.
I too would lean toward normal wear. We always have silver filings in the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts