The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for a 9670 and they asked me if I had a preference on the rear axle height position with 20.8 duals and 28-26L rear tires.
I figured, if anything, the difference was mainly just for looks. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would have thought that you would want the rear end of your machine raised so it helps with the cleaning of grain. Should be a recommended setting in the book for that size tyre combination?

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
That step on the left side of the combine behind the left wheel should be as close to level as you can get it.

Don

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
They recommended the rear higher on the walker machines to help with grain separation, which seems to have carried over to the STS machines but isn't as much of a necessity as it once was. It's now more personal preference, but myself I would rather it be leaned a little forward if possible (meaning in the upper position on the rearend).

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
With 38" rim most people put it in the lower position, for 42" they would put it in the higher position to keep the combine level. I don't think most dealers consider how it would affect the cleaning rather just how it looks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always look at the rear axle and how the combine sets because it can cause problems running platforms. It should set level to a little up in the back and this will make setting platform easier and help wear and feeding, also adjust fh tilt so it doesn't run on its nose. it also helps shoe

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ive seen any make of combine benefit form a little rake in the back, makes sense, grain is more likely to flow down hill easier then up, right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
its better to have the rear end up high. well on our combines it seems to be if you are going down a hill it will barely throw anything over but if you are going up a hill we have to slow way down because the monitor is pegging out

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with Don, keep it level. In high volume crops you tend to get a little grain in the fan when tipped forward. We leave ours level to down a little in the rear to get the grain a little further back on the sieve.

Also, you probably know that 28L's should be set wide to avoid "interference" with side shields at full axle tilt.

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts