The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the best clearance is for the rear of the concave on my early N5. According the the manual, it should be adjusted to touch the bars the same time the front of the concave does. Is this still the best place to run it for most crops? This combine is mainly used in corn and soybeans, but occasionally sees oats and wheat. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hate to even comment because I don't know which style rock door you have....and you may not know either. I do corn at 1 inch on the indicator and then make the rear of the concave FLUSH

·
Registered
407 Posts
ooooPS....don't know what happened there, but I wasn't done....FLUSH with the inner cage circle diameter, which makes it flush with a welded bar just immediately behind the last concave bar. To run 1 inch you must readjust the rock door striker plate and make sure there's not bounce/looseness in the door (this assumes you have the original style door). Soybeans you may raise the rear if you like and all cereal crops you will have to raise the rear. Dropping the rear flush and front at an inch will make cobs more whole and easier to clean up the sample. I do lots of soybeans ay 3/4" front and no change to the rear from corn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that doesn't sound too complicated. I believe it is the original style rock door, as all the parts appear to be the same in the parts book I have for the combine. I have always made sure to adjust the bounce bolts on the ends to elminate any movement of the door. There was also a channel bar bolted to the end of the door that I read is supposed to make it easier for rocks to open it? Is it worth putting that back on for soybeans, or does it not make much difference?

Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts