The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct that the later 23XX series all had rear view mirrors mounted inside the cab? Thought that I had seen them, but not for sure. Anyway, my 2188 doesn't have one and the young man that runs the combine and I have discussed that it sure would be nice to be able to see what was happening in the bin without turning around to look. Are they that valuable of an asset to you guys that have them?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I never really found that mirror to be of much use. You can tell that grain is going into the tank, but you can't tell the quality of the grain in the tank (if you've got trash in with the grain or if you are over-threshing the grain).

Personally, the best mirror addition I can think of is if you have a grain tank extension. In that case, get a little dome mirror to stick onto the right side mirror so you can see if the hopper extension window is covered up or not. Basically this:

http://lefebure.com/farming/2005lance/1/images/17.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lance....don't have a hopper extension but will keep the small mirror in mind if I ever put one on. Really don't need a hopper extension this harvest as it is toooooo long now between bins full..LOL. I told the little gal at the elevator that all I've been doing is driving around looking through the windshield and when the "bin full" light comes on and the "bird"
churps at you, you head for the truck to unload!
Previous owner of this machine told me that in normal yields, after the 4th set of "churps", it's running over the top. This year, I think 14 sets of "churps" and it still wouldn't run over! Man, are we ever having fun!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well at least it isn't to the point where you cut till the beeper goes off, then you cut your way to the truck, and can actually make it 1/2 mile to the truck without overfilling the hopper.

Also, if you have any other case ih tractors around, I'm pretty sure the rear-view mirror in them is the same as is in the combines. You could just swap one mirror between machines if you thought it might be useful.

-Lance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts